Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2009   #21
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We need to go 3-3 next 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Shoulda woulda coulda.
And.......

I'm talking about how we have "competed" against the Colts in the past, so what's the point in having a "defeatist attitude" towards that game and already pulling a white flag out. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Then don't say 'need'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
it would be tough to pull out but that should be our aim.

The point he was trying to get across was pretty obvious. This board doesn't need lawyers to proof read each post.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #22
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 3-3 over the hardest stretch of the season would be acceptable but hopfully the Texans can do better.

I think that we can beat any team on our schedule and have a very good chance of suprising everyone and winning @Arizona.
Remember, we are undefeated on the road

I am hoping and thinking that we can/should go 4-2 and put us in a good position, but of couse predictions change from week to week.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing the Raiders every week would be a good start. Seriously Im not as upbeat about this team as some of you. We are still to inconsistant for me to think we can win more than 6 games this year. We have pretty tough schedule coming up and some of you are riding to high after beating the Raiders. Most have the Cinci, Buffalo and Arizona as games we should or could win. I think they are underestimating them and overestimating us. I hope Im wrong.
Old 10-06-2009   #24
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

One game at a time folks, one game at a time.
Let's try to throttle Kurt Warner and his aerial show out in his own back yard. That should be the only thing on our minds at this point.

Looking a month and a half down the road is a bit much to bite off for me. We don't know who will be healthy on our team or theirs two weeks from now, let alone a month and a half in the future.

Let's do our damnest to win 'em as they come up on the schedule and the season takes care of itself.

...one game at a time.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #25
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 790 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Playing the Raiders every week would be a good start. Seriously Im not as upbeat about this team as some of you. We are still to inconsistant for me to think we can win more than 6 games this year. We have pretty tough schedule coming up and some of you are riding to high after beating the Raiders. Most have the Cinci, Buffalo and Arizona as games we should or could win. I think they are underestimating them and overestimating us. I hope Im wrong.
Really man 6 games? I will guarantee we win more than 6 games on our schedule...Those all are games we could win..Maybe ur underestimating us. I know this may sound dumb, but if you minus just 4 plays(big plays) from this season our D's ranking is considerably better. I think that's more of where are defense will be as the season goes on as we make adjustments and not give up those big rushing TDs...I believe our offense will do even better and maybe even surprise u... Cincy, Buffalo, and Arizona I think will all miss the postseason, I'd love for us to help them..
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

im hopeful we'll go 3-1 in the next four games which will be ok once we beat the bengals
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #27
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
im hopeful we'll go 3-1 in the next four games which will be ok once we beat the bengals
I keep seeing this idea on this message board. Has anyone else watched them play? This isn't last years bungles. A victory over these guys is not a given. Is this positive thinking, ignorance, wishful thinking, or just day dreaming? I myself am not so sure. I hope you are all right, but these bengals have teeth.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2009   #28
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I keep seeing this idea on this message board. Has anyone else watched them play? This isn't last years bungles. A victory over these guys is not a given. Is this positive thinking, ignorance, wishful thinking, or just day dreaming? I myself am not so sure. I hope you are all right, but these bengals have teeth.
Our defense, minus those 4 big "dumb ass decision-made" plays, has played
like a top 15 defense. Our offense is putting up more points than they ever
have, and our special teams has been kicking major ass.

I'd err on the side of our team being good enough to whip some Bengals.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #29
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
my point was that we need to beat the bengals because they're a wildcard rival. a loss to an nfc team wouldnt hurt as much
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately I canít bring myself to believe the Texans have truly turned the corner into a playoff team yet. I wish that werenít the case. Right now I see 3-3 over the next six games as the best possible outcome for them, because I can also see them going 2-4 over that time. The Texans need to put it together for a whole season, not just a few games, to get some of us to truly believe they are a playoff team. Right now, they arenít doing it.

Still love Ďem though, canít help myself in that regard.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #31
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unfortunately I canít bring myself to believe the Texans have truly turned the corner into a playoff team yet. I wish that werenít the case. Right now I see 3-3 over the next six games as the best possible outcome for them, because I can also see them going 2-4 over that time. The Texans need to put it together for a whole season, not just a few games, to get some of us to truly believe they are a playoff team. Right now, they arenít doing it.

Just squint your eyes real hard. Their unis look kinda sorta like the Patriots or Giants when you do. Just be careful you don't confuse us for the Bills. No one's confusing them with a playoff squad either.

Seriously I agree with what you say here. We have yet to show any sort of consistency. I'm not throwing in the towel on the season, and there's been a few bright spots no doubt. But we have yet to turn the corner, unless we just turned four corners and are back to "Go."

I'm not saying they can't do it. I honestly think we have the talent to beat any team we play on paper. I'm saying I'll believe it when I see it.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #32
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 18555 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I actually agree with you. We've not played at all like a playoff team.

Week 1
The only team we've played with a Defense(Jets) allowed us 7 points... errr wait.. that was an interception TD.. ZERO points.

Week 2
We get lucky and watch Collins fumble in a game that neither team could stop the other.

Week 3
We get un-lucky in another game that neither team could stop the other.

Week 4
It's the Raiders.

Thanks to a little luck and the Raiders, we are not 0-4.

Are we going to have the first pick in the draft next Spring? No... but, we're not even close to showing that we can win better than half our remaining games.

@ARI - another offensive shootout (coin toss)
@ CIN - another offensive shootout (coin toss)
SF - The second game of the season vs a defensive juggernaught (pray for 7 offensive points)
@ Buf - I pray they are as bad as the Raiders and glad it's October in Buffalo.
@ Ind - I don't count on it
BYE
Ten - (coin toss)
Ind - what I already said
JAC - (coin toss)
Sea - (I hope)
@Stl - (We better)
@Mia - I hope(do we own the Dolphins? :-)
NE - Umm.. I think I miss-spelled juggernaut earlier.

It's feasible to win half the games remaining.. but that won't put us in the playoffs. Even with rose colored glasses, I see at minimum 4 losses ahead of us on the season. If we go 3-3 in the next 6, then I see it at min 5 losses on the season, sprinkle in the coinflip losses...

I'm hopeful for a 10-6 season. But it ends there. Playoffs?
Old 10-06-2009   #33
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to go 6-0 because Jville plays @Seattle and home against St. Louis the next two weeks.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #34
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets just hope they show up and don't embarass us next sunday.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm with you on this. Having 1 good defensive showing in a row isn't enough to put me over the top. Let's shoot for 2 or 3 good showings in a row against quality teams.
Old 10-06-2009   #36
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

This team can't afford to look ahead more then next week. Arizona is looming in the desert and I am getting sick at my stomach atm thinking of Fitz, Bolden and Breaston going against this secondary. I'm also expecting Dockett to give the interior of the OL big problems.

I can't get excited about this team and playoff opportunity. I don't think we have shot at winning the division with the way Indy is playing.

IMO that leaves our best shot at the playoffs at getting a wildcard. It's very possible at the moment that 3 teams may come out of the AFC North the way Pitt, Baltimore and Cinci are playing and are capable of playing. I think the other battle will be Jets and Pats. Not sure if we are better then those 5 teams at the moment.

Good news is we can make an impact on 3 of the teams. Bad news is again, not sure if we can.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #37
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
And.......

I'm talking about how we have "competed" against the Colts in the past, so what's the point in having a "defeatist attitude" towards that game and already pulling a white flag out. What's your point?
We've been to Indy 7 times. In order:
20 point loss.
9 point loss.
35 point loss.
14 point loss.
19 point loss.
23 point loss.
6 point loss.

I don't play. I don't coach. I don't have any close personal friends that I have to pump up. The point is being a realist.

Quote:

The point he was trying to get across was pretty obvious. This board doesn't need lawyers to proof read each post.

It wasn't just his. There was a lot of NEED to go 6-0 on the frist page. My main oppositition to it is I'll be content with 3-3 and would be quite happy with 4-2. I wouldn't be at all surprised to go 2-4, and that's only because I -think- we're a good home team, but after the Jaguar's performance, I'm somewhat skeptical about that. And I find it more realistic that we'd go 0-6 instead of 6-0.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #38
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona - Win. We've got the horses for a shootout and if the D really wants to prove itself it's got a damn good set up for it.
Cincy- Win. I don't buy their hype. Not even for one second.
San Fran- Scary. That should be a great D battle. Maybe the O saves us then.
Buffaol- Win or you're all cut.
at Indy- I'm not saying we're gonna win there...but we did win in Tenatheeee.

I'd say 4-1 at best, and 6-3 at the bye. Good shape for a run or at least having meaningful December football in Houston.

Tenaatheeee- Win. Put it to 'em again.
Indy- I don't believe we can beat them twice in a year no matter how good we are. Peyton Manning bitches.
Jacksonville-Retribution and a win.
Seattle- break 'em in half
st. Louis- break 'em in....quarters...
Miami-break 'em in...some kind of fraction I can't even think of....
New England-win, they'll be resting and this game will get us into the playoffs.

Did I just line them up for 12 and 4? I'll be setting down this koolaid now...We're still in good shape but consistency is the name of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see double digit wins.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #39
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Arizona - Win. We've got the horses for a shootout and if the D really wants to prove itself it's got a damn good set up for it.
Cincy- Win. I don't buy their hype. Not even for one second.
San Fran- Scary. That should be a great D battle. Maybe the O saves us then.
Buffaol- Win or you're all cut.
at Indy- I'm not saying we're gonna win there...but we did win in Tenatheeee.

I'd say 4-1 at best, and 6-3 at the bye. Good shape for a run or at least having meaningful December football in Houston.

Tenaatheeee- Win. Put it to 'em again.
Indy- I don't believe we can beat them twice in a year no matter how good we are. Peyton Manning bitches.
Jacksonville-Retribution and a win.
Seattle- break 'em in half
st. Louis- break 'em in....quarters...
Miami-break 'em in...some kind of fraction I can't even think of....
New England-win, they'll be resting and this game will get us into the playoffs.

Did I just line them up for 12 and 4? I'll be setting down this koolaid now...We're still in good shape but consistency is the name of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see double digit wins.
Wow, we can only hope!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #40
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Hopefully, the players and coaches are just taking it one day at a time. Internally, everyone must know that this team is capable of beating any team in the league...but can also easily lose winnable games as well. The players and coaches are working on winning them all and that better be the expectation.

As fans, we have the luxury of being realists. While I wouldn't be happy or even satisfied with being 5-5 after 10 games, but I would take it if I could and go into the final 6 games of the season witha realistic shot of getting the first winning record in franchise history. I would love to see us catch fire and go 5-1 or 4-2 over this stretch...but also realize that we could easily lose 4 or 5 games over this stretch.

This franchise can't afford to take a step back and based on what I have seen, I would take 3-3.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read