Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton's burst is getting back to where it was

Slaton may not have had a monster game, but when he came back from that benching he ran the ball freaking hard! That first play where he broke like two tackles on the play and then ran to the other side he looked great! Then the very next play where he burst through behind his lineman and got right into the end zone he looked like the Slaton of old.

ON the screen pass he looked determined to take it to the house and he got there with ease. I know that this was the Raiders, but Slaton just needs space, and he really didn't get hardly any space in the first 3 weeks of the season. These last two weeks, he has ran the ball pretty well when he has had some space to get loose.

We need to find him on some more screen passes and maybe some tosses and plays where he can get in the open field. He's ready for the big plays, he just needs to space to do his thing.

Nice to see Slaton finally having a few plays like he had last year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Slaton's burst is getting back to where it was

Agreed. It's about time he finally scored as well.
Old 10-05-2009   #3
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

John Harris made an interesting observation last Sunday about Slaton on his Twitter.

He said it looked like Slaton was looking for contact instead of looking for holes. That got me thinking and it was something I was looking out for in this game.

On the first carry following the Moats runs, Slaton looked like he was looking for contact again...then he corrected himself, found the hole between two defenders and turned on the rear thrusters.

It was like you could see the guy's thought process while he was running. It was like "oh $h!7!!! if I don't hit this hole, then Moats is coming back in!!!" Then he followed that run up with a TD.

I think he's developed some bad habits in his thought process and he's trying to overcome them.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
John Harris made an interesting observation last Sunday about Slaton on his Twitter.

He said it looked like Slaton was looking for contact instead of looking for holes. That got me thinking and it was something I was looking out for in this game.

On the first carry following the Moats runs, Slaton looked like he was looking for contact again...then he corrected himself, found the hole between two defenders and turned on the rear thrusters.

It was like you could see the guy's thought process while he was running. It was like "oh $h!7!!! if I don't hit this hole, then Moats is coming back in!!!" Then he followed that run up with a TD.

I think he's developed some bad habits in his thought process and he's trying to overcome them.
I think everything you said in this post is spot on. Would rep you if I could.
Old 10-05-2009   #5
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I think everything you said in this post is spot on. Would rep you if I could.
i agree and repped cuz i can!
Old 10-05-2009   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Moats was more impressive to me than Slaton yesterday. He just seemed quicker.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #7
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Guys,

No matter how good Slaton is running if he fumbles the ball he's going to have to sit, he had mega problems with fumbling at WVU, and last year he didn't, he's got to stop fumbling.

The second half was just bad for us running the ball, we have to find a way to get better at the run, I don't think I agree with Kubiak saying we have to find a way to run with 8 in the box. I'm suprised we haven't come in with a spread formation to take some of the guys out of the box and then run the ball up the gut more.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
He definitely played like he was pushing Slaton. And Slaton played like he was getting pushed.

Looked like Moats was playing off pure instinct and Slaton's been overthinking it.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
Guys,

No matter how good Slaton is running if he fumbles the ball he's going to have to sit, he had mega problems with fumbling at WVU, and last year he didn't, he's got to stop fumbling.

The second half was just bad for us running the ball, we have to find a way to get better at the run, I don't think I agree with Kubiak saying we have to find a way to run with 8 in the box. I'm suprised we haven't come in with a spread formation to take some of the guys out of the box and then run the ball up the gut more.
Agree it doesn't make sense. But this staff is committed to somehow playing the run with a smallish athletic OL in wannabe smash mouth football type. I think we could do more damage in the running game by stretching out defenses as well. I really think if we have opposing defenses being lit up by the passing game they'll be more hesitant in run defense.

Look at Edge's most productive years in Indy. Teams generally were hesitant to drop 8 in the box or play close to the line because they knew they'd get cut up by Manning. I think this offense has the weapons to utilize the same style of attack on offense.

Sometimes I wish Kubiak would quit trying to recreate what he made in Denver and utilize what he's got currently.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

Sometimes I wish Kubiak would quit trying to recreate what he made in Denver and utilize what he's got currently.
100% agree, while I agree with what he did in the raiders game I think he's going to find out that he needs to spread the defense out and get the RB some more holes.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, our run blocking stinks. I think Myers is crippling our run game the most. I think Studdard and Brisiel are very inconsistent too, but I lost count on how many times our RB was met in the backfield with Myers still holding onto the guy busting up the play. I'm not going to pretend I know better than the coaches watching the film, but gee whiz, the guy isn't getting the job done at all. I assume the coaches know how bad he is, which tells me White and Caldwell aren't close to being ready.

It pisses me off when I see teams occasionally run the ZBS with perfection and we can't run it worth a crap when it's what our entire offense is based off of. We even have the guy who supposedly perfected the scheme. Ugh!
Old 10-05-2009   #12
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Moats understands this pure ZBS system. You have to know where the scheme is designed for your "one cut". Slaton still dances and looks for the hole. By the time he sees the hole and reacts, it has closed up. He doesn't appear to trust the system. If that's the case, he's the wrong back for us. Maybe that's why we're looking at Chris Henry.

Moats made his one cut and gained 4-5 yards almost every time, which is what the ZBS will allow you to do if you trust it (unless a defense "guesses right" and stuffs where the hole will appear). Every now and then, the defense will break down and those 4 yards will turn into a 40 yard blast. When Slaton tore off that big run, he made his one very subtle cut and was gone.

Bottom line, he has the speed and burst; he just needs to trust the system and cut where he's supposed to cut. The hole will be there.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Moats understands this pure ZBS system. You have to know where the scheme is designed for your "one cut". Slaton still dances and looks for the hole. By the time he sees the hole and reacts, it has closed up. He doesn't appear to trust the system. If that's the case, he's the wrong back for us. Maybe that's why we're looking at Chris Henry.
What? All last year, all anyone said was how Slaton was the perfect back for the ZBS and how well he understood it. Now all because he has a few fumbles which have nothing to do with the ZBS, and developed a few bad habits, he's the wrong back for us??? That's crazy. I'll admit that he's not hitting the holes and dancing around a little, but to say that he's all of a sudden the wrong back for us, when just last season he was great in this system is going way over board and not correct. He just needs to get back to hitting the holes with better precision. He had some really nice plays yesterday and last week.

You're out of your mind if you think that Moats is a better back for this team or this system or any team for that matter over Steve Slaton. Moats played well and all, but he's a typical 3rd string back on just about any NFL team. He's in no way shape or form starter material, while Slaton just had a great rookie season, and is starting to look more like the Slaton of last year.
Old 10-05-2009   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post

Moats made his one cut and gained 4-5 yards almost every time, which is what the ZBS will allow you to do if you trust it (unless a defense "guesses right" and stuffs where the hole will appear). Every now and then, the defense will break down and those 4 yards will turn into a 40 yard blast. When Slaton tore off that big run, he made his one very subtle cut and was gone.

Bottom line, he has the speed and burst; he just needs to trust the system and cut where he's supposed to cut. The hole will be there.
Actually, Moats averaged less than 4 yards a carry. I agree with, as well as repped, Mr. White because I think he is dead on about Slaton looking for contact. At the same time, I think there are multiple factors at work. I have been one of the few that hasn't felt Slaton has lost a step. I couldn't figure out what his problem was though and I think the "looking for contact" thing has been Slaton's problem. I also think he is thinking too much, as others have said. He just needs to let his instincts do the work.

At the same time, the offensive line deserves its share of the blame, and I truly believe it is the majority of the problem. Meyers is a pathetic run blocker, Studdard and Brisiel have been extremely inconsistent (as others have said), and Winston has looked below average this season. The only guy on our line that looks like he deserves to start has been Brown.

Sure Moats might have looked a little better, but we stick with Slaton because we have seen what Slaton can do and the upside he brings. Slaton needs to fix the bad habits, but IMO the line is primarily to blame.
Old 10-05-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak mentioned that Moats has a case of "turf toe". I assume that is the reason for looking at Henry, if any, other than just taking a looksee. Not to replace Slaton. LOL
Old 10-05-2009   #16
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't felt like his burst was ever really lacking relative to last year, but I still feel like he's running tentatively. Ryan Moats was a breath of fresh air yesterday, there was no hesitation in his game.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #17
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

It does not matter what you burst if you can't hold on to the football.
Old 10-05-2009   #18
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What? All last year, all anyone said was how Slaton was the perfect back for the ZBS and how well he understood it. Now all because he has a few fumbles which have nothing to do with the ZBS, and developed a few bad habits, he's the wrong back for us??? That's crazy. I'll admit that he's not hitting the holes and dancing around a little, but to say that he's all of a sudden the wrong back for us, when just last season he was great in this system is going way over board and not correct. He just needs to get back to hitting the holes with better precision. He had some really nice plays yesterday and last week.

You're out of your mind if you think that Moats is a better back for this team or this system or any team for that matter over Steve Slaton. Moats played well and all, but he's a typical 3rd string back on just about any NFL team. He's in no way shape or form starter material, while Slaton just had a great rookie season, and is starting to look more like the Slaton of last year.
Repped and you made me think about something I should have added in my post above. I think the reason Slaton has developed some bad habits is due to the below average run blocking combined with the defenses we have gone against. Tennessee is once again one of the best rush defenses in the NFL allowing only 79.8 yds per game at only 2.8 yds per attempt (second to only Baltimore), the Jets who are giving up more rushing yardage (ranked 13 in yards per game), Jacksonville (ranked 12 in yards per game) but also who Slaton had a respectable game against, and Oakland (almost as bad as us).

So the point is I do believe Slaton still has it but think the Tennessee and New York games really got him into some bad habits. I truly believe the guy will get through this and any talk of benching him for Moats is completely ridiculous.
Old 10-05-2009   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Repped and you made me think about something I should have added in my post above. I think the reason Slaton has developed some bad habits is due to the below average run blocking combined with the defenses we have gone against. Tennessee is once again one of the best rush defenses in the NFL allowing only 79.8 yds per game at only 2.8 yds per attempt (second to only Baltimore), the Jets who are giving up more rushing yardage (ranked 13 in yards per game), Jacksonville (ranked 12 in yards per game) but also who Slaton had a respectable game against, and Oakland (almost as bad as us).

So the point is I do believe Slaton still has it but think the Tennessee and New York games really got him into some bad habits. I truly believe the guy will get through this and any talk of benching him for Moats is completely ridiculous.
Yeah, our run blocking has been awful all season long. It was pretty terrible in that 2nd half as well. There was a few times though in the 2nd half where Slaton almost got loose, and was getting ready to break a big one, but one guy just happened to be there at the last second.

I hope that he can drop the bad habits and just get back to hitting the hole hard. He was hitting it hard against the Jags though I thought. He just didn't break a huge run. He averaged 6.3 YPC though.
Old 10-05-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
He definitely played like he was pushing Slaton. And Slaton played like he was getting pushed.

Looked like Moats was playing off pure instinct and Slaton's been overthinking it.
Perfect way of putting it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read