Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2009   #1
zcity
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 zcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVP
Default Glover Quinn Thread

Glover Quinn

Welcome to the Starting lineup - I think that you are there to stay for years to come.

This guy can flat out HIT and Hit you in the mouth.

He was hitting guys everywhere. Even on the safety - he took on the lead blocker (FB), crushed him and left Fargas nowhere to go except into the waitng arms of Cushing . . . (A. Smith helped out too).

He may not be quite as fast as Brice or as savvy as Reeves - but after the coaches watch this film . . . Reeves may never get back in as a starter. Can't wait to see him line up against Boldin next week.
zcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glover Quinn Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcity View Post
Glover Quinn

Welcome to the Starting lineup - I think that you are there to stay for years to come.

He was hitting guys everywhere. Even on the safety - he took on the lead blocker (FB), crushed him and left Fargas nowhere to go except into the waitng arms of Cushing . . . (A. Smith helped out too).

He may not be quite as fast as Brice or as savvy as Reeves - but after the coaches watch this film . . . Reeves may never get back in as a starter. Can't wait to see him line up against Boldin next week.
Years ago Petey Faggins looked like a diamond in the rough late round steal when he had a few good games and shut down Marvin Harrison. Dunta Robinson had his best season ever as a rookie. Fred Bennett looked like he was going to fill the spot opposite Dunta when he was pressed into starting as a rookie.

This team has a long history of throwing rookie CB's out there and seeing them play well. Then they never approach that level again.
Old 10-05-2009   #3
zcity
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 zcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVPzcity was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Years ago Petey Faggins looked like a diamond in the rough late round steal when he had a few good games and shut down Marvin Harrison. Dunta Robinson had his best season ever as a rookie. Fred Bennett looked like he was going to fill the spot opposite Dunta when he was pressed into starting as a rookie.

This team has a long history of throwing rookie CB's out there and seeing them play well. Then they never approach that level again.

VERY TRUE!!!

No doubt it's a wait and see - especially against receivers that can actually hold on to the ball. But he sure as heck hits harder than Petey or Fred. Seems to just make plays - I am hopeful - certainly not convinced!!!!!
zcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So true.

That's why I can't even find myself getting excited about the guy.

Patterns...
Old 10-05-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I never thought Bennett looked the part. Granted, he did play well as a rookie but I always thought he was a very sloppy tackler and wasn't a smooth athlete. Now that he looks totally lost, I'm not surprised. Quin looks like a genuine football player. He seems to have good instincts in coverage and in run support. He may be limited because of his speed, but I feel very confident that the guy will be playing good football for us for awhile. I actually think he matches up well against Boldin and Fitzgerald. I don't mean to suggest that he'll win that matchup but I think his size and physicality will give him a shot against those guys.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two kinds of footballer in the NFL (imo anyway) 1. athletes 2. football players. Quin falls under the 2nd category for me. His lack of top-end speed may be his biggest weakness but seeing as how speed is probably the Raider receivers' biggest threat/skill I would say he's ready for the next challenge, a more complete WR like Fitz or Bolden or even Breaston.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The more we coach up players, the worse they get. We should just an all rookie secondary every year
Old 10-05-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My thoughts as well. I liked what he did on a lot of plays and he made a few nice tackles where he was getting involved, but I won't get excited until I've seen him play several games where he's covering well and unloading on other team's players. Good first game though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do you think it's becuase they dummy down the schemes for the rookies and that helps them look good? Then when it comes time to progress into more complex coverage, they just get lost?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Glover Quinn looks like a FS to me. when both Reeves & Wilson return I think he should get a look & make comparables between the two. He is not blessed with blazing speed but closes fast seems to read well enough & decisive w/his reactions just needs to gain coverage experience. Excellent in run support, which is needed, has ability to blow people up that's A+ forcing turnovers & stripping the ball or beating a receiver to spot for INT the next step in Glovers development to becoming an NFL starting FS.

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #11
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

Is he ok I heard he had a forearm injury
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The Texans drafted him to be a nickelback. He's been pressed into starting because of injuries (Reeves) and incompetence (Bennett) but I think long term his best position is either at FS (like Beerlover suggested) or at nickelback where we can use his tackling ability and ballskills while minimizing his biggest weaknesses (top end speed).

This week Reeves should be back. I'd like for Quinn to start (dont want to throw Reeves in there as a starter with so much rust quite yet) but shift to the nickel when Breaston comes on the field.

The secondary is gonna have to earn their paychecks next Sunday because they've got quite the task ahead of them.
Old 10-05-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

not trying to be a dick but its quin

lets not make him kevin walters II

nice first start though for him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

What impressed me with him was his ability to tackle...

I like stuff like that.
Old 10-05-2009   #15
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

looks like him and pollard will start. great test
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Was visiting some of my wifes family from Albuquerque in town for the Holidays and her niece said that a neighbor who teaches at the U of NM had a class in which Glover was a student.
Anyway the neighbor said Glover was not just a very likeable student but also very intelligent. The instructor, a lawyer, apparently thought he might be headed to law school but was disappointed to hear he was going to give the NFL a shot. I always like to hear that we've drafted a player who also
have the smarts to compete in the classroom.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

May have come with some sense of entitlement.. being "good(avg really) players" on a bad team and all.

But we've got a new DB coach, and a new Defensive coordinator's coach, and some veterans on the team with real accomplishments, talent, and expectations.
Old 11-28-2009   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard Quin's work ethic is ridiculous. I haven't heard the same about Fred Bennett, let alone Petey Faggins.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcity View Post
Glover Quinn

Guys I'm sorry but a hitting corner is the last thing on my list when I'm looking at CB's, who cares if he knocks someone out if he's getting burnt every other play. Just cover your guys like a blanket I could care less if you tackled as bad as Deon Sanders, cause your job is just to cover the guy running down the field.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Guys I'm sorry but a hitting corner is the last thing on my list when I'm looking at CB's, who cares if he knocks someone out if he's getting burnt every other play. Just cover your guys like a blanket I could care less if you tackled as bad as Deon Sanders, cause your job is just to cover the guy running down the field.
Ditto

Ithink Quins natural spot is S but he's the 2nd best CB on the team right now.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read