Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What? No love for Zac Diles?

Cushing and Ryans are getting all the pub, but there is another linebacker on the team who deserves just as much as the other two.

And not too bad for a 7th round pick, huh? Good, young, quality starting linebacker who makes plays. And being that he's a 7th rounder, you can imagine how little money he makes, and how big of a raise he'll get by "someone". I feel certain that Demeco will get locked up eventually, but I'm worried that Diles will 'slip through the cracks'.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What? No love for Zac Diles?

He's a backup LB thats over his head when he has to start. Plenty of heart, not a lot of physical gifts. If he's starting, the position needs an upgrade. His hustle just makes it that we don't have to upgrade it immediately.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont know about any of that. I saw him bust through the line at least twice and make huge plays in the backfield. He's excellent in my book
Old 10-04-2009   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
He's a backup LB thats over his head when he has to start. Plenty of heart, not a lot of physical gifts. If he's starting, the position needs an upgrade. His hustle just makes it that we don't have to upgrade it immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I dont know about any of that. I saw him bust through the line at least twice and make huge plays in the backfield. He's excellent in my book
Agreed...#54 has been making plays for most of this young season. Also, sometimes hustle is all you need in this game. For some players, they have all the talent but no hustle or heart. Diles, on the other hand, makes up for his lack of physical gifts with hustle and heart. I'll take that any day.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Agreed...#54 has been making plays for most of this young season. Also, sometimes hustle is all you need in this game. For some players, they have all the talent but no hustle or heart. Diles, on the other hand, makes up for his lack of physical gifts with hustle and heart. I'll take that any day.
thats the same train of thought that makes people clamor for busing at safety.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
Old 10-04-2009   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I made some posts back in the summer that said this:

It won't matter WHO plays as our 3rd linebacker, because they have the benefit of playing alongside Ryans and Cushing. Those two guys are going to make the third linebacker look good.

It's the Anthony Weaver effect. He played on the Ravens defense, and the train of thought was that we were acquiring "one of the reasons the Ravens were good, AND we were getting him just before he was about to break out and become a star of his own. Lucky us!"

Diles has that feel, IMO. He's going to reap the benefits of playing by those other two guys. He'll put up good numbers. And he and his agent will ask the Texans for money or go seek a trade to grab bigger money.

Then, if he goes elsewhere, the new team will be suckered into thinking they got a great player at LB. They might even have him pegged as THE leader of the LB squad. And then he'll become some other team's Anthony Weaver.

So I'm not worried if he leaves. As long as we lock up Ryans and Cushing, Diles will look good out there. Adibi would look good out there. Clay Mathews would look good out there.

Not saying Diles is bad. Just saying that I think he looks better out there with Miami Vice by his side.
Old 10-04-2009   #7
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave him some love. Played a hell of a game.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2009   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Comparing Zac Diles to Anthony Weaver, regardless of the context, is wrong in so many ways, it's ridiculous.

If Demeco and Cushing weren't on the field, Diles would lead the team in tackles.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #9
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
If Demeco and Cushing weren't on the field, Diles would lead the team in tackles.
And he was even leading last year with Demeco on the field. He's a solid player for us.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand what you're getting at.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #11
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Diles busts his ass out there and makes plays...not really sure what else he's supposed to do? He's kicking the tail he's supposed to be kicking.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You bust Nitro for saying we should get rid of Jacoby and Slaton, but then bring this stuff about ditching Diles? Production is production, I dont see why you get caught up in "potential"
Old 10-04-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Comparing Zac Diles to Anthony Weaver, regardless of the context, is wrong in so many ways, it's ridiculous.

Are you 100% sure of that? I'm not.
Old 10-04-2009   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
You bust Nitro for saying we should get rid of Jacoby and Slaton, but then bring this stuff about ditching Diles? Production is production, I dont see why you get caught up in "potential"
I said nothing about ditching him. I said he's a second stringer that has played well enough for us to hold off on replacing him. I was arguing the "give me players that hustle over players with talent" mentality i see sweeping this board from time to time

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 10-04-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said nothing about ditching him. I said he's a second stringer that has played well enough for us to hold off on replacing him. I was arguing the "give me players that hustle over players with talent" mentality i see sweeping this board from time to time
Well, give me players that do their jobs and make plays. So, I'll gladly take Zac Diles. Anyone that has watched this guy play the past two seasons and believes he isn't good enough to start for a quality defense, is paying too much attention to his draft round and measurables and not enough attention to his production. Other than Demeco Ryans and Jamie Sharper, he's easily the best LB we've ever had... I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to rank Cushing.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #16
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Zac may not making much money now. However, if he keeps playing at current level, money will come to him. Zac turned out to be a huge steal at 7th rd pick.

Go Zac!!!
Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
There was another undersized Zac(h) out there who was slow, undersized and lacking in any sort of elite physical gifts. He certainly road hustle, heart and instincts to a great career.

If my choice is between a Zach Thomas guy who can just go out there and get the job done, or a physical freak who can't play to save his own contract, I'll go with the production.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what's the reason why you have Zac Diles pegged as a 2nd stringer? Is it his draft position......because just about everytime he's started for us he's played solid football. Hell before he got hurt last season he was playing just as good if not better than every LB on the team...including DeMeco.

And that's why the Busing comparison makes no sense whatsoever. Unlike John Busing, Zac Diles has proven he can start in this league over multiple games. John Busing just made plays in preseason....when did he ever prove he can start in this league?

If you look around the league, how many teams have probowlers at every LB position? There's plenty of high quality winning teams that have no problem rolling out a LBer like Zac Diles. I think you're underselling him as a player. A better comparison for Zac Diles would be Kevin Walter (another 7th round pick who proved he could play solid starting football) and I don't think anybody would ever call him a 2nd stringer.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So what's the reason why you have Zac Diles pegged as a 2nd stringer? Is it his draft position......because just about everytime he's started for us he's played solid football. Hell before he got hurt last season he was playing just as good if not better than every LB on the team...including DeMeco.

And that's why the Busing comparison makes no sense whatsoever. Unlike John Busing, Zac Diles has proven he can start in this league over multiple games. John Busing just made plays in preseason....when did he ever prove he can start in this league?

If you look around the league, how many teams have probowlers at every LB position? There's plenty of high quality winning teams that have no problem rolling out a LBer like Zac Diles. I think you're underselling him as a player. A better comparison for Zac Diles would be Kevin Walter (another 7th round pick who proved he could play solid starting football) and I don't think anybody would call him a 2nd stringer.
Kevin Walters is a quality football player. So is david anderson. Draft position doesn't mean shit. What you have in Zac Diles is a linebacker who is somewhat suspect in coverage, and has flaws. I don't think he is a starting linebacker on a GOOD defense. Thats not a knock on him. I think Okoye is a good 2nd team DT. Just not a starter if you want a good defense. He'd be a great depth guy...just if your starting Diles you have a problem. He makes a lot of tackles 8-10 yards down the field. He also isn't quick enough to react to the plays, and shift direction. I'm not saying you have to have Demeco Ryan's at every position, just that he's not quite good enough to start for a top caliber defense. He is probably the best we have there, but will need to be upgraded at some point. I was hoping Adibi would develop into that upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Old 10-05-2009   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kevin Walters is a quality football player. So is david anderson. Draft position doesn't mean shit. What you have in Zac Diles is a linebacker who is somewhat suspect in coverage, and has flaws. I don't think he is a starting linebacker on a GOOD defense. Thats not a knock on him. I think Okoye is a good 2nd team DT. Just not a starter if you want a good defense. He'd be a great depth guy...just if your starting Diles you have a problem. He makes a lot of tackles 8-10 yards down the field. He also isn't quick enough to react to the plays, and shift direction. I'm not saying you have to have Demeco Ryan's at every position, just that he's not quite good enough to start for a top caliber defense. He is probably the best we have there, but will need to be upgraded at some point. I was hoping Adibi would develop into that upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet.
Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 tackles for a loss he has this season. Not to mention his blowing up of the reverse in the second half that was 10 yards behing the LOS. I happen to think he's better in coverage than DRyans, by the way. Last season, for instance, he had great coverage and made a great pick trailing Dallas Clark on a skinny post in the second quarter of the Rosencopter game. It was a hell of a play and some evidence that the guy can play the pass. What makes you think he can't?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read