Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Some Thoughts From Bob Enjoy

On opening the season 1-2:

“Well, I think that we’ve showed a lot of good things that we were expecting. Then we’ve failed to execute at times when I would’ve expected that that would not happen. But it’s all about execution. We’ve got the players. We’ve got the schemes and I’m not concerned about that. The coaches are working hard and we’ve just got to get the players to execute. They’re the ones that are out on the field and they’re the ones that have to do it, and they know what they’re supposed to do. We’ve got a few young guys, new guys in there. We’re going to give them a shot and I think they’re going to play well.”

On if it’s frustrating not getting better results on defense:

“Yeah, it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating for the players and coaches and to see people sometimes make a mistake. They’ve been coached up on it during the week and during the week, they didn’t make the mistake and then they got in the game and they did. With young players, is it because it’s a little stage fright? Inexperience and that sort of thing? What’s the cause of it? That’s what you really bang your head against the wall on. I think that we’ve got some really bright spots with some players who are playing well and just going to play even better. I think our linebacking core is just a tremendous improvement. Where we’ve had problems, it’s basically been one player, just not carrying out his assignment. All he had to do was to do what he had been taught to do. If you have a busted play in this league, one player breaking down makes the whole defense look bad. But the other 10 guys can be playing very well.”

On the defense saying that defensive coordinator Frank Bush is putting them in the right place:

“Well I think that they have bought into the defense, the schemes. They say that it’s not a problem with the schemes. It’s not a problem with the calls. They just have to execute. In life, if you break it down to its smallest element of the whole universe, everything works well if everybody just does what they should do—each individual. It’s not different with a football team. All they have to do is just carry out their assignments. Sometimes, the players will try to do more than that and they just have to believe that all I have to do is do my job. With the talent that we have on this team, we’re going to win a lot of games, and we will. We will. I think they’re buying into it and they need to be a little more disciplined, and with that discipline, we’re going to get better ourselves.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/cat...houston-texans
Old 10-02-2009   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Thoughts From Bob Enjoy

Thanks for posting, gary.

It sounds to me like McNair has just put some ice under Kubiak's chair. I do not see any 'hot seat' in those words.
Old 10-02-2009   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

He might not want the whole story to be known but it's coming.
Old 10-02-2009   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting Gary. I don't know what is yet to come to complete this story. But with what you posted I have to agree with Double Barrel. You can put Kubiaks, Smith or Bush's signature to this because they all say the same thing. Sounds like a bunch of parrots over there at Reliant. Things will sound different soon if the Texans don't get this mess turned around.

If the Texans beat the Raiders it really won't be a turning the corner game. The Raiders are aweful and we are expected to win. If the Texans manage to lose this game then it would be our 3rd home loss in a row and 2nd in a row to a bad team. Things wouldn't be pleasant not only here but ESPN, NFL Network, sports radio, local news etc. would blast us every chance they get. The heat would be turned up so high that McNair might say something completely different than what is posted here. It could get ugly.

Lets just hope the Texans win and get a reprieve. Brice McCain is starting in place of Bennett. He got burned against Minnesota but surely he will do better than Fred "no where near the play" Bennett. Our newest safety will be in there so hopefully he can help against the run.

And finally, I just can't understand why Reeves doesn't just tape his pinky to his ring finger and get out there and play
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

So the coaches are working hard and the players are screw-ups. Nice.
Old 10-02-2009   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair View Post
“Well, I think that we’ve showed a lot of good things that we were expecting. Then we’ve failed to execute at times when I would’ve expected that that would not happen. But it’s all about execution.
Good lord, he's channeling Dom Capers.

This is beginning to feel like 2005. What a lousy year that was.
Old 10-02-2009   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Reevs is reminding me of TMac right now. What a wuss.
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2009   #8
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Rep. This was the first thing I thought when I read this.
Old 10-02-2009   #9
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Reevs is reminding me of TMac right now. What a wuss.

Are you sure about that? Tmac is making around 20 million or so this season. I don't think Reeves is scratching the surface of that much cheese per year. Plus Reeves needs to bust out in the middle of the season just before the trade deadline with a season ending injury to ensure he screws over the front office trying to trade his butt.

Yeah, he needs to get on the field, but his bones popping thru the skin of his finger m willing to give Reeves a little more leeway than McGrady. We expect much more out of $20 million stars in this town.
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Execution is a "go word."

Look for robots to overtake Reliant this Sunday and fry all humans with their laser beam eye visors.

Only Kris Brown will be spared. To tell the rest of the world of the horror that occurred that day.

Then they will insert a chip under his skin and track him as he signs with the next worst team in football, allowing the McNair robots to find suckage for annihilation.

Bob then takes over the marketing of the team and becomes a zillionaire, until he owns all 32 franchises and manages somehow to make all 32 teams go 0-16.

E-x-e-c-u-t-i-o-n.
Old 10-02-2009   #11
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Actually, yes.

Look at every long TD run allowed, and you'll see a player not executing the play correctly.

I'm predicting that the front seven will get their act together and not look abysmal, but the secondary will remain a problem all season.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County
Quote:
Actually, yes.

Look at every long TD run allowed, and you'll see a player not executing the play correctly.
Great! Then all they have to do is identify the people responsible for selecting and training these screw-ups and make them work hard too.
Old 10-02-2009   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My first thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Execution is a "go word."

Look for robots to overtake Reliant this Sunday and fry all humans with their laser beam eye visors.

Only Kris Brown will be spared. To tell the rest of the world of the horror that occurred that day.

Then they will insert a chip under his skin and track him as he signs with the next worst team in football, allowing the McNair robots to find suckage for annihilation.

Bob then takes over the marketing of the team and becomes a zillionaire, until he owns all 32 franchises and manages somehow to make all 32 teams go 0-16.

E-x-e-c-u-t-i-o-n.
If we could replace McNair, Kubiak and Bush with a Daleks voice that'd be fitting.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
yeah, with a headline like "McNair: Players at fault for Texans' troubles", I thought why not, let's throw the whole team under the bus.

Quote:

lol! First thing I thought when I read "execution".

That word!

2-14!!

The HORROR!!!
Old 10-03-2009   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Hidden in McNairs message is a relinquishing of personal accountability......one saying that the bottom of the food chain is the only real problem.......and it is certainly part of it. But what about the coaches that help pick and instruct the players, the HC who picks his staff and establishes team direction, the FO that evaluates talent and helps pick the players and determines their value (contracts)..........and, finally, the owner who, in this case, evaluates and is responsible for the choice and approval of the GM and HC?

Randall Cunningham once made this statement. "I give so much of myself on Sunday. I drain all the life out of myself out there. I get paid to play, to win, to give the city pride, so maybe everybody can forget for a little while how hard life is."

Had Dunta, for example, spoken of getting paid in the spirit that Cunningham presented it, NO ONE would have been upset.............but, unfortunately, it seems that to a majority of the Texans organization, money not heart is their foremost driving force.........the attitude appears to run down hill from the top..........and the resulting situation should surprise no one.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember McNair blowing smoke about how great Carr was in 2006. All season long. We were all thinking the guy was totally delusional.

If there's one thing we know about him, it's that he's PR trained. He won't say anything that we can read anything into.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hidden in McNairs message is a relinquishing of personal accountability......one saying that the bottom of the food chain is the only real problem.......and it is certainly part of it. But what about the coaches that help pick and instruct the players, the HC who picks his staff and establishes team direction, the FO that evaluates talent and helps pick the players and determines their value (contracts)..........and, finally, the owner who, in this case, evaluates and is responsible for the choice and approval of the GM and HC?

Randall Cunningham once made this statement. "I give so much of myself on Sunday. I drain all the life out of myself out there. I get paid to play, to win, to give the city pride, so maybe everybody can forget for a little while how hard life is."

Had Dunta, for example, spoken of getting paid in the spirit that Cunningham presented it, NO ONE would have been upset.............but, unfortunately, it seems that to a majority of the Texans organization, money not heart is their foremost driving force.........the attitude appears to run down hill from the top..........and the resulting situation should surprise no one.
Preaching to the chior
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Are you sure about that? Tmac is making around 20 million or so this season. I don't think Reeves is scratching the surface of that much cheese per year. Plus Reeves needs to bust out in the middle of the season just before the trade deadline with a season ending injury to ensure he screws over the front office trying to trade his butt.

Yeah, he needs to get on the field, but his bones popping thru the skin of his finger m willing to give Reeves a little more leeway than McGrady. We expect much more out of $20 million stars in this town.
Maybe you're right but back when players played with much worse.
Old 10-03-2009   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
We expect much more out of $20 million stars in this town.
The point being that when you make more money to perform, more is expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Maybe it should go back to what's being said above. The players are the ones making money to perform, and they aren't performing. Use MJD's long run as an example. If the players do what the coaches drew up on that play, it doesn't break for a TD. How are the coaches to blame for that? Sure, it's only one play, but at this point, I'm thinking it's pretty indicative.

And again, those who make the money are most accountable. Of course, that means McNair is mostly accountable, and in the end, he will be when the product doesn't sell. In the meantime, I'm not sure I'm willing to put the coaches on the #1 seat of responsibility for what the players aren't getting done.

Then again, it's easier to fire a few coaches and hand the problem off to some new guy than it is to fix the root of the problem.
Old 10-03-2009   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Maybe it should go back to what's being said above. The players are the ones making money to perform, and they aren't performing. Use MJD's long run as an example. If the players do what the coaches drew up on that play, it doesn't break for a TD. How are the coaches to blame for that? Sure, it's only one play, but at this point, I'm thinking it's pretty indicative.
Good points. And plays are created to be successful, so it requires the players to actually run them in the way that they were created for them to work in that regard.

Obviously, some plays counter other plays, but, at the end of the day, when you've got breakdowns like blown assignments and players out of position, it comes down to a team beating itself.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read