Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-16-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain says WR only offensive position that might go First Round

In an intersting articile in todays Chron, John McClain talks about Texans Draft
needs.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3042298
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #2
Wild Bill
Rookie

Basically what he is saying is that we don't need to spend our first round pick on a wide receiver. We need to either draft another shutdown corner so that our linebackers and safeties can blitz more, or get another outside linebacker.

My personal opinion would be to either draft a cornerback (PacMan Jones) or Marcus Spears with our first pick.
Old 02-16-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's saying it would be less likely that they'd take a DL or LB in the first round than a WR and WR is the most likely position on offense that they'd take a first round pick with. Most of this tends to go against conventional wisdom or popular belief to this point - our top pick would be either DL, LB, or OL.
Maybe Cass is feeding McClain a bunch of BS to divert attention from what
his top priorities really are.
Old 02-16-2005   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, or Shawne Merriman in the first round unless DJ somehow falls to us.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

So McClain wants the Texans to 86 the deep passing game & go conservative.
Quote:
Things can be done on offense to provide better pass protection. Carr's drops can be shorter. He can get rid of the ball quicker. Pass routes can be shorter. More players can be kept in to help with protection.
Didn't they try that in '03? The only season where Carr had any serious injuries. McClain forgot to say throw more dump offs to the RB and run more on 1st & 2nd downs. Yeah, that's a much better idea than improving the offensive line.

McClain points out that the Texans need a better pass rush. Who knew? But, they can't take a defensive lineman or outside linebacker?
Quote:
Teams playing a 3-4 defense seldom use No. 1 picks on linemen, so we can rule that out.
Well, Pittsburgh did use a 1st on NT Casey Hampton. And the 3 time Super Bowl Champions, the New England Patriots, have used 3 1st round picks on defensive linemen in the past 4 drafts. And teams like San Diego & Oakland have only run the 34 defense for a year, so we really don't know what their position on taking defensive linemen early is. Maybe it's a little soon to "rule that out".
Quote:
There are several prospects who might be able to make the move from college defensive end to outside linebacker in a 3-4, but it's doubtful the Texans will use another No. 1 pick on a player at this position.
Why? If you have the Texans moving Wong inside, pointed out that the team probably isn't "high" on Peek, then who plays the ROLB spot?

The Texans could select a young, talented corner in the 1st round this draft. But, the logic McClain uses to get to that conclusion is dubious. They could also select an offensive lineman, defensive lineman, or linebacker. Who that player might be will likely be determined by where the Texans have him rated on theor draft board.
Old 02-16-2005   #6
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

At this point, McClain's just saying what he wants to see happen. It holds no more validity than any opinion posted on these boards. I seriously doubt CC will refuse to take another DL in the first round, just because McClain thinks teams don't do that. I'm not saying we will take DL, just that we're not going to rule it out for historical reasons.

At this point, the Texans probably only have a few rules regarding the first round ... no QBs and no special teams players. The teams in front of us in the draft will determine what position we pick.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Reading between the lines a bit...

I think the Texans may have a couple of WR's rated pretty high and they will not pass on a very highly rated player to fill needs with a high salaried number 1 choice if a defender doesn't carry the same grade (or darn near close to it). The only players that won't be considered with our first pick are probably QB and kicker, but if all is equal or semi-equal they will take a defender.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2005   #8
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

I was looking a t few mock drafts and i saw Mike Williams dropping to us what if that happens do we take him.?????
Old 02-16-2005   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTim5125
I was looking a t few mock drafts and i saw Mike Williams dropping to us what if that happens do we take him.?????

Yes, in a heartbeat.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think if Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards falls to us, we take them. Otherwise, I think we will go front seven on defense.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Peek has been a liability against the run. I guess we could throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #12
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

I kinda get the feeling from this article that the author feels the Texans should draft another CB with the first round pick I wouldn't complain about that, just as long as he can come in and contribute.
Old 02-16-2005   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss
I kinda get the feeling from this article that the author feels the Texans should draft another CB with the first round pick I wouldn't complain about that, just as long as he can come in and contribute.
This is not a bad plan at all. Some would say, why use a 1st round on a nickle back. But what they dont think about is what if, and I hope it doesnt happen, but what if Dunta goes down? Who will fill the shoes? Faggins? Who will play nickle if he is hurt? And more likely, what if Glenn goes down for a few games or the season? I think you really need to look at the CB's.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
This is not a bad plan at all. Some would say, why use a 1st round on a nickle back. But what they dont think about is what if, and I hope it doesnt happen, but what if Dunta goes down? Who will fill the shoes? Faggins? Who will play nickle if he is hurt? And more likely, what if Glenn goes down for a few games or the season? I think you really need to look at the CB's.
makes sense to me too. the combines will be critical (times, sizes, lifting, testing & interviewing) in determining the Texans draft board order, even if they do have thier list already narrowed down to a player. Hence I think before we attempt another Mock Draft that we wait until March 14th to officially begin the 2nd chapter. This would allow time to anaylze all the data plus free agency begins 1st of March, allowing teams to make moves like they have in years past, thus setting drafting needs more in order.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting grow on the idea of drafting another young corner like Pac-man Jones or Antrell Rolle. We need to have 3 good corners anyway in our division because of the Colts.
Old 02-16-2005   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What McClain is saying is that CC usually does not draft linemen in the first round . Hes trending a bit . He also said that they would probably consider a WR. on offense in the first and thats it . Thats his opinion no conspiracy . If Ced Benson fell to 13 I would not pass on him .
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #17
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think in a deep draft for CBs we should wait until the 2nd. If he's going to start out in the nickel anyway, might as well get someone with good upside in the 2nd/3rd to groom for another year behind our other CBs.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
the combines will be critical (times, sizes, lifting, testing & interviewing) in determining the Texans draft board order, even if they do have thier list already narrowed down to a player.
Casserly stated that the combine is not critical at all. Their scouting is done and the only thing that the combine gives them is a medical report.

The only thing that really changes is the internet "scouts" mocks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

CC is not a big fan of workout warriors . Thats a good thing cause the road is littered with guys with great 40s who can't play . The Texans will get a shot at a really good player . 2 QBs, 3 RBs , 2 CBs , 2 WRs , 2 LBs thats 11 top notch players and there may be more . You just know there will be a couple of picks for need before 13 . That leaves the Texans with options.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Some would say, why use a 1st round on a nickle back.
I'm gonna be right at the head of the line of guys asking that qustion. OK
look, last year NE drafts a very good Miami DL (Vince Wilfork), in the first round and uses him basically as a reserve this year. And that's probably what the Pats had in mind for him. But hey, we're no NE. NE may have the luxury
of keeping 1st round picks around as reserves, we're in no such position. This
is a fairly high pick 1st rounder (13th overall) - we really oughta think first about getting someone who plays from day one like the rest of our #1s - Carr, AJ, D-Rob, Babin.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read