Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2009   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Lombardi thinks the Texans need to start over

Looks like the national media is talking about the Texans now. Be careful what you wish for.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...tart-over.html

Quote:
Owner Bob McNair has been very patient. He initially hired Charley Casserly as general manager and gave him all the power. When that went downhill, he hired the coach and gave him all the power. So what does he do now? Heís done A and heís done B. Whatís next?

Next is to hire someone who can bring a plan and an infrastructure to the team, someone who can find players and develop them and who knows what it takes to win in the NFL. Hire someone who can interview a coach, who can talk football on an intellectual basis with the head coach, and split their powers ó much like the New York Giants successfully do. Give the coach the power to be the coach and give the general manager the power to be the general manager, and make sure both of them are smart, experienced and well-versed in what it takes to win -- but might not be best friends.
Some of the ideas in this article sound pretty familiar.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Lombardi thinks the Texans need to start over

He (Mike Lombardi) was just on 1560. I liked the way he referred to our defense as "friendly".
Old 10-02-2009   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He (Mike Lombardi) was just on 1560. I liked the way he referred to our defense as "friendly".
We could call the defense "The Casper" defense . They don't won't to scare people , they want to be friends .
Old 10-02-2009   #4
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I like listening to Mike Lombardi, but if he was such a smart football guy, he wouldn't be in the media now. I'd even give him the benefit of the doubt that he was smart enough to realize that he knew what he didn't know and left it to better personnel guys than he, but he doesn't really come off that way.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't fault this article. It's true. They do depend on friends of friends and many picks have been random. I do feel there is this "in limbo" feel to how they want to do things. It always scares me when I see teams make some big changes during the season...simplify defense, etc, etc. It means you are making plans on the fly. I just don't get an established "here is what we are going to do" from year to year.
Old 10-02-2009   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I like listening to Mike Lombardi, but if he was such a smart football guy, he wouldn't be in the media now. I'd even give him the benefit of the doubt that he was smart enough to realize that he knew what he didn't know and left it to better personnel guys than he, but he doesn't really come off that way.
wrong. he worked for Al Davis and was fired for not toeing the line and wanting to take JaMarcus Russell. since the Raiders let him go, they haven't done squat and have had horrible drafts. he is now an entrepeneur and has started a very successful football website.

if he wanted a job in the league, he could have it. oh and he works for the NFL anyway as an analyst. he is in a good place.

McNair needs to wake up and fire Kubiak and Bush's sorry asses.
Old 10-02-2009   #7
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Lombardi is an ass! He is the same GM who traded Randy Moss for a 4th round pick to NE. He said that Moss couldn't run anymore and the following season Moss went off for 98 rec 1493 yrds and a huge number of 23 TDS!!!

He knows crap about building an NFL Franchise. Thats like me trying to tell a firefighter how to put out a fire because I've seen other firefighters doing it successfully!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Michael Lombardi is an ass! He is the same GM who traded Randy Moss for a 4th round pick to NE. He said that Moss couldn't run anymore and the following season Moss went off for 98 rec 1493 yrds and a huge number of 23 TDS!!!

He knows crap about building an NFL Franchise. Thats like me trying to tell a firefighter how to put out a fire because I've seen other firefighters doing it successfully!
I agree with you that he was wrong on Moss. It wasn't that he couldn't run, it's that he wouldn't run in Oakland.

Now, word's getting out that he's doing the same in NE.

He got the Raiders to the Super Bowl as a GM. Sounds like credibility to me.

Last edited by Mr. White; 10-02-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2009   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Lombardi is wrong in his analysis of Texans history.

Casserly didn't have all the power. Casserly did do some idiotic things that Capers wanted (like the Babin pick). Capers got his buds in the coaching staff too.

The problem with that scenario was that Casserly often picked players that Capers didn't like and Capers eventually stopped playing them, and played the players that he wanted.

Ultimately, what Lombardi seems to be saying is get better football people in your organization, but he shouldn't be using the past to say what the present is. Kubiak doesn't have all the power, but it is certainly not a strong GM situation where Smith is in a great position to challenge him with an extensive background in the NFL.

Besides, Lombardi calls two of our QBs Schwab and Orsowski. Like he knows jack crap about the Texans.

The best organizations have knowledgeable GMs who are able to work with their head coach to put together an organization where the coaches work well together. Palmer-Capers was a match that wasn't going to work for example.
Old 10-02-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the front office and many of us on this board approved the hiring of Kubiak and Smith because they came from a winning organization that knows what it takes to win. That was the whole meat and potatoes of it. They came from Denver who had the best winning percentage than any other sports franchise. Right?

Lombardi fails to do his research in that and to me that just says he's trying to get Smith fired with hopes of landing the job with us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The problems in Houston donít all rest at Kubiakís feet. This is a structural organizational problem that stems from having too many friends of friends and not enough quality.
That's the most interesting, easily the most provokative comment in his story. I wish he would have expanded a bit on this, but maybe that's why he didn't ?
Lombardi was not on the "this is the Texans year for the playoff" bandwagon
at the start of this year with a lot of others, and so far with their 1-2 start
he looks like the guy who was right. But the season is of course far from over.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #12
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
wrong. he worked for Al Davis and was fired for not toeing the line and wanting to take JaMarcus Russell. since the Raiders let him go, they haven't done squat and have had horrible drafts. he is now an entrepeneur and has started a very successful football website.

if he wanted a job in the league, he could have it. oh and he works for the NFL anyway as an analyst. he is in a good place.

No he can't, thats why he doesn't!

"Lombardi has also contacted several teams around the NFL seeking out potential jobs but with no luck."

http://oak.scout.com/2/642772.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Kubiak doesn't have all the power, but it is certainly not a strong GM situation where Smith is in a great position to challenge him with an extensive background in the NFL.
Is there any proof of that?

Because it sure looks like it's the case to me. He worked for a guy in Shanahan that called all the shots in Denver. I don't see any evidence that he didn't bring the Shanahan blueprint with him. The coaching staff hires have his fingerprints all over them.

The only thing I know for sure that Smith does is negotiates contracts and holds himself up a positive example to players.
Old 10-02-2009   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Is there any proof of that?

Because it sure looks like it's the case to me. He worked for a guy in Shanahan that called all the shots in Denver. I don't see any evidence that he didn't bring the Shanahan blueprint with him. The coaching staff hires have his fingerprints all over them.

The only thing I know for sure that Smith does is negotiates contracts and holds himself up a positive example to players.
Smith says they don't always agree.

But even if Smith is in the role of "I'm the man" GM, it's not like he has more NFL experience that Kubiak to truly challenge what Kubiak wants to do. If Kubiak says I need X, why would Smith say anything different.
Old 10-02-2009   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

not really... i mean most coaches in the league hire guys they are friends with, this is nothing new. Almost every coach in the league has done or does this. Tony Dungy recounts in his book the process by which he hired his staff in TB and Indy, they were all his friends in some capacity. Parcells is notorious for doing this as well. One of the things i hate about the NBA is that teams are constantly hiring these re-treads & they don't really look for new young guys. I seriously doubt you guys would be questioning his hiring of guys he's friends with if we were successful. The bottom line is that every head coach/coordinator was also once one of the lower-tier coaches somewhere.

The fact that Kubiak gave Smith/Bush a shot because they're friends isn't exactly anything different than what other guys have done.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

please

he's admitted himself on Bill Simmons podcast that he'd love to be a gm again but cant get a job as one in the nfl anymore but he doesnt mind because he likes the media work too.

and i must say im also quite shocked at the radical changes you propose. you're that last person id expect to post that :rolley.....oh wait ive used that smilie already
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

FYI, I brought this same subject up about a year ago.

Interesting to look at the thread in retrospect.
Old 10-02-2009   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

It's also pretty funny that a lot of these posts attack Lombardi without addressing one damn word that he says in the article.
Old 10-02-2009   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

this is the part i addressed in my post about what he said...

"The problems in Houston don’t all rest at Kubiak’s feet. This is a structural organizational problem that stems from having too many friends of friends and not enough quality."
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
this is the part i addressed in my post about what he said...

"The problems in Houston donít all rest at Kubiakís feet. This is a structural organizational problem that stems from having too many friends of friends and not enough quality."
And I'm not talking about what you posted.

I'm talking about the "Lombardi doesn't know anything about football because he got fired" take. It's like saying "Jimmy Johnson doesn't know anything about football because he got fired."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read