Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New "more agressive" D

Not improved mind you...but more agressive.

Quote:
Like blitzing? Texans lead the way in division

October 1, 2009 11:06 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

No questions arrive more consistently.

When a defense allows a clutch completion without sending extra defenders after the quarterback, everyone wants to know, why didn't it blitz?

When a defense throws the house at a quarterback, doesn't get there and allows a play, everyone wants to know, why in the world did it blitz?
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post?id=4018

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New "more agressive" D

That's what makes everything so nerve racking. The fact that we are blitzing and we only have one sack. Then you look at these other teams that are blitzing and stopping the run and sacking the QB.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
That's what makes everything so nerve racking. The fact that we are blitzing and we only have one sack. Then you look at these other teams that are blitzing and stopping the run and sacking the QB.
I think it's a lack of effort form the interior lineman. If the pocket is collapsing from the sides, all the QB is doing is stepping up. We need stronger play from that position for sure. (not to mention a handful of other spots on the D)
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds me of something that Sean Pendergast said earlier this week. He actually checked all the press conferences of every new DC that got hired this offseason.

All but one were talking about "attacking, being aggressive, being violent, first to the ball" except for one....Mike Pettine form the Jets.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

One benefit to this defense, that I feel I've seen, is an increase in the number of hits and stops behind the LOS. I'd love to see statistics (anyone know where we'd find this type of thing?), but my impression is that we have quite a bit more of that. Of course, it seems like we've also had a lot more of the "breakthroughs" for long runs...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
One benefit to this defense, that I feel I've seen, is an increase in the number of hits and stops behind the LOS. I'd love to see statistics (anyone know where we'd find this type of thing?), but my impression is that we have quite a bit more of that. Of course, it seems like we've also had a lot more of the "breakthroughs" for long runs...
without looking at stats, i kinda get that sense as well. We're getting teams in 3rd and longs more often than any other year i can think of. Now, whether it's b/c of the garbage secondary or pass rush, they are converting them too much.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

10-yard cushions by our DBs is the culprit, IMO.

QBs and WRs are just hooking up for those little curls and outs that are always there because our DBs are shuffling our season away.

If your DB is up on the WR, the QB has to get rid of the ball. The WR is in the process of trying to break away from the DB and get around the jam at the line, which means he's slower getting into his route DEEP ENOUGH TO CATCH A PASS THAT GETS A FIRST DOWN.

But our DBs are playing off their men and essentially wasting the blitz we send.
Old 10-01-2009   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Blitzing is nice and I think it's probably the reason we've seen more backfield stops and the umm..."no stops"...

...but I think two things are holding the D back. 1. firstly I think somebody has to turn the DT situation around. Both guys can't be sucking like vaccuums. That'll improve every aspect of the D. 2. I think the blitzes they've drawn up are poorly designed. Rex Ryan seemed to send the same amount of guys for pressure but what he did was overload the OL, be it up the middle or the outsides.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Yo, New "more agressive" D, I know your blitzing more and I'ma let you finish but you still need to learn how to tackle and cover recievers.
Old 10-01-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yo, New "more agressive" D, I know your blitzing more and I'ma let you finish but you still need to learn how to tackle and cover recievers.
From what I can tell, we haven't been in a lot of 0 coverage, so I'm not really going to blame the blitzing for giving up so many big plays. It's execution by the players that is lacking... though I still blame the coaching staff for their evaluation process that has those guys starting for the team right now.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This reminds me of something that Sean Pendergast said earlier this week. He actually checked all the press conferences of every new DC that got hired this offseason.

All but one were talking about "attacking, being aggressive, being violent, first to the ball" except for one....Mike Pettine form the Jets.
I heard that too. He said he talked about scheme and getting guys in the right place, etc and never mentioned attacking, aggressive, etc.
Old 10-01-2009   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
From what I can tell, we haven't been in a lot of 0 coverage, so I'm not really going to blame the blitzing for giving up so many big plays. It's execution by the players that is lacking... though I still blame the coaching staff for their evaluation process that has those guys starting for the team right now.
Agree with all points.

I like the blitzing but what I don't like is the coverage of our DB's and we've been very sloppy tackling (save a couple of exceptions).
Old 10-01-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
When you have 5 or 6 men on the LOS instead of the usual 4, of course you're gonna see more stops for losses.

On the other side of the spectrum, if they burst through that first line, they will hit you hard 'cause you don't have enough men back there.

Simple fact of life.

And then when we dropped back, we really dropped back and played softer than Richard Smith's defense, imagine that!
This shuffle dance is worse than the 10-yd cushion, Ima telling ya'.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I can dig the blitzing too, but when you give a WR a 7-10 yard cushion it tends to defeat the purpose of a blitz (see Mr. Bennett).

Kubiak stated in his PC that there were players there on blitzes, they just weren't finishing the QB. Well Coach, it's hard for them to finish off the QB when he only needs 1.5 seconds to get rid of the freakin ball.

The Jets can send 7-8 on a pass rush because they've got Revis, Sheppard, Rhodes and Leonard in the back end. We've got Dunta, Larry, Moe and Curly.
Old 10-01-2009   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can dig the blitzing too, but when you give a WR a 7-10 yard cushion it tends to defeat the purpose of a blitz (see Mr. Bennett).

Kubiak stated in his PC that there were players there on blitzes, they just weren't finishing the QB. Well Coach, it's hard for them to finish off the QB when he only needs 1.5 seconds to get rid of the freakin ball.

The Jets can send 7-8 on a pass rush because they've got Revis, Sheppard, Rhodes and Leonard in the back end. We've got Dunta, Larry, Moe and Curly.
But Dunta is a top 5 corner.
Old 10-01-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes said last night that he was going to have the defensive scheme simplified. Hmm our guys are college grads and Okoye is pretty smart..maybe we should draft a dumb ass that can tackle.
Old 10-01-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But Dunta is a top 5 corner.
I mentioned Dunta because he's the only one that hasn't been a total catastrophic failure to this point. Other than a couple poor tackle attempts.
Old 10-01-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Kubes said last night that he was going to have the defensive scheme simplified. Hmm our guys are college grads and Okoye is pretty smart..maybe we should draft a dumb ass that can tackle.
Good point!
Old 10-01-2009   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I mentioned Dunta because he's the only one that hasn't been a total catastrophic failure to this point. Other than a couple poor tackle attempts.
He aint all that in coverage either. Obviously it's in part because of the 7-10 yard cushion, but still.
Old 10-01-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
He aint all that in coverage either. Obviously it's in part because of the 7-10 yard cushion, but still.
True, ok maybe I should've listed our back end as:

Larry, Moe, Curly.....and their Mom?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read