Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2009   #1
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Bernard Pollard plays as well as he talks, he's gonna be a STUD safety

Hey, guys. check this vid on the home page if you haven't seen it yet.
Pollard talks MAD game. He says all the right things better than any safety
prospect this team has ever had. I'm anxious to watch the train wreck on
Sunday just to see how Pollard plugs that sieve known as our defensive
backfield.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bernard Pollard plays as well as he talks, he's gonna be a STUD safety

Before we get too excited, Pollard was the starting safety vs. the Raiders last year when McFadden went for 160+ yards. And he was the safety when Lendale White (when he was close to 280 pounds) busted an 80 yard run, White and CJ combined for like 300+ rushing yards. Not to spoil the sentiment but he's been a victim to gashings before. I wouldn't be surprised to see the circus continue Sunday.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Bernard Pollard plays as well as he talks, he's gonna be a STUD safety

If he can do what he says I'll be really excited
Old 10-01-2009   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as good play in the secondary is concerned, I'll believe it when I see it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #5
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything will be better than what we currently have, so put him on the field! JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Anything will be better than what we currently have, so put him on the field! JMO!
Our SS .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #7
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Before we get too excited, Pollard was the starting safety vs. the Raiders last year when McFadden went for 160+ yards. And he was the safety when Lendale White (when he was close to 280 pounds) busted an 80 yard run, White and CJ combined for like 300+ rushing yards. Not to spoil the sentiment but he's been a victim to gashings before. I wouldn't be surprised to see the circus continue Sunday.
In the video, he subtly placed the bulk of the blame for those performances
on the lack of ability of his front seven. He was almost giddy about the
talent of his supporting cast. We'll see on Sunday, but it's good that Kubiak
ain't waiting for players like Fred Bennett to "turn it around." Might as well
start Brice Mccain. At least he has the speed to make up for an initial
mistake.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I agree for the most part. This dude sat at home without hearing from the other 31 teams. I find it hard to believe those 31 teams are set at the SS position.

But heck, he'd be an upgrade if he just flopped his body in the gap he was assigned. At least get in the way so the rest can catch up.
Old 10-01-2009   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree for the most part. This dude sat at home without hearing from the other 31 teams. I find it hard to believe those 31 teams are set at the SS position.

But heck, he'd be an upgrade if he just flopped his body in the gap he was assigned. At least get in the way so the rest can catch up.
If you recall, there was something that had to do with league rules that if he got signed by a certain week he had to make a guaranteed amount of how much he was making guaranteed with the other team. After week 1 or two, a team could sign them to their terms or something like that. That could explain why he had to wait to get signed and why he chose Houston could be because of Gibbs aside from we may have bee the first to ask.

As for the news of him signing, I'm a little disappointed because I thought I was going to get the start when the team signed me.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
mistake.
our front 7 play has been awful as well. A few moments of individual brilliance from a couple of players but awful on balance. He was a FA for a reason, but he may be the best SS on the roster. That tells me something about our talent forecasting abilities.....well, it tells me it hasn't changed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
mistake.
I have to blame big runs on the safety, that is their purpose out there. And it was Lendale White, if he can't run down that fat whale turd then thats pathetic. But there is way more talent here on defense than in KC so I give him that. I love McCain getting reps, he's a better corner than Bennett right now. I would rather have GQ in over Bennett to be honest.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, guys. check this vid on the home page if you haven't seen it yet.
Pollard talks MAD game. He says all the right things better than any safety
prospect this team has ever had. I'm anxious to watch the train wreck on
Sunday just to see how Pollard plugs that sieve known as our defensive
backfield.
You're excited because of what a guy says that's proven nothing and couldn't even start over these horrible guys that have been atrocious the last few games? NEXT.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollard can talk all day for all I care.

That's about all we have on this team, in terms of coaches AND players: Good public speakers.

We don't have an NFL team. We have a Rotary Club. Debate Team. Poets.

Somebody grab a Battle Red sport coat for Pollard, get him a podium, and a couple of judges.
Old 10-04-2009   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

so ... for some of y'all that have keen eyes. how was his play today?

I honestly didn't pay attention to the safeties that much
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Its tough to guage safety play when the opposing QB throws the ball 10 yards out of reach of the nearest WR
Old 10-04-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Pollard can talk all day for all I care.

That's about all we have on this team, in terms of coaches AND players: Good public speakers.

We don't have an NFL team. We have a Rotary Club. Debate Team. Poets.

Somebody grab a Battle Red sport coat for Pollard, get him a podium, and a couple of judges.
1. Will Demps

2. Eugene Wilson

3. Bernard Pollard

Each year there's a free agent acquisition at Safety, and the guy comes in and plays well for several games.

And every year, there somebody different playing Safety. Doing the same things. Each year.

We always are amazed at the guy's immediate impact, and then the honeymoon ends because the problem is that we can't face weak offenses for all 16 games every year.

At some point, this defense is going to ripped to shreds again.

The linebackers are the only consistently good group out there. They are the backbone of this jellyfish defense right now.

We need better talent in the secondary and on the line. They look OK against weaker teams with weak QBs. Then they get burned by QBs who know how to beat the line's "allllmost there, just one more inch to go!" pass rushing pressure and the secondary's 10-yard cushions.

The linebackers were the "X" factor today, IMO.

Pollard does improve our tackling vs. the running game, though. He is getting in there and making solid contact instead of weird angles that make a guy bounce off like a pinball. Glover Quinn had good tackling technique, too. I'm thinking we went with a secondary lineup that played well vs. the run. Did anybody ever see Fred Bennett on the field today?
Old 10-04-2009   #17
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw him when a relatively big play went his way. That was the only time I saw him though not surprisingly. Don't remember which play it was.

I'm a fan of seeing how a Wilson/Pollard combo does. Pollard brings a presence vs the run none of the rest of them can offer, and Wilson is our best safety in coverage.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #18
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

He was solid. Really wanted we wanted to see out of our safety, gap responsible, brought the wood on that Louis Murphy? reception on the sideline, he was in good position on a swing, and all around he performed well.

On a side note all the safeties looked good today, we got a bit of Barber, Busing and Pollard, and I wasn't disappointed in any of them. Although, I think it was Barber over the top on that dropped Louis Murphy sure touchdown when he beat Robinson and Russell threw over the wrong shoulder.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #19
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Well. Pollard did a good job of backing up all the smooth talking
he did during the week.
Old 10-05-2009   #20
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

great pickup. He's always in run support and seemed to be in the right spots
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read