Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2009   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nmandi talks about Dre

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5632

Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha
(on WR Andre Johnson and the challenges he presents for corners around the league) "Well, you're talking about one of if not the top receiver in the league. Any time you get a guy with his size and his strength and his speed, you're going to have some matchup problems, and there's a lot of ways that he can hurt you whether it's running the ball, whether it's deep, whether it's short. He's got all the intangibles. So he always presents a problem for any corner around the league."

(on what his secret is to having a tremendous amount of success against WR Andre Johnson) "(Laughs) I guess no secret. Whether I've had success on him or not, he's still been a challenge. He's been one of my greatest challenges that I face each week. Each year, it's one of those things where you look at the schedule and you see who the top guys are that you're going to face, and you see Houston on the schedule, you know you're going to have a battle any time you're going to have to play against that type of a receiver. So I don't know; I just play my game and try my best and see how successful how I can be. But he's a great player."

(on if he plays on the same side no matter where WR Andre Johnson lines up) "No, that's not true. I think every year that we play him, there's a plan together where I'll be on him the majority of the time. Not all the time, but there'll be a lot of situations where he goes to the left or the right or wherever he goes where I'll end up on him. But it won't be every single snap. Just as far as game plans in the past, it's never been every snap, but we've always had some sort of plan together."

(on if he and WR Andre Johnson have developed a personal relationship ) "Yeah. I'm sure we'll talk more after the game as opposed to before the game, but yeah, definitely. I've known the type of talent he was since high school. I've met him since college and in the Pro Bowl and all that stuff. We have each other's number. We talk in the offseason every now and then. He's a really good guy."

(on not talking a lot on the field) "No, I don't talk a lot of trash on the field, and guys really don't talk that much trash to me. When they do, I just laugh. I really don't get into it. I'm trying to stay a little more focused than that."

(on if he is the opposite of Titans CB Cortland Finnegan) "(Laughs) The complete opposite. Cortland, he's going to be running his mouth and being aggressive, so no, complete opposite from that."

(on if WR Andre Johnson has been able to improve every year) "Yeah, you just see consistency. You just see a guy that, he came into the league a star. We came in in the same draft class and he was a top-three pick, if I'm not mistaken, but he's always held up that status. He's never dropped below what he should've been. He came in a top pick and he's always played that way. Those are some of the things that you respect about him. He's just consistently been a top receiver."

(on starting at strong safety at Houston in 2004 and how he became a corner) "I appreciate your research there. I did, yeah. We went back to Houston and I did start at strong safety at that game, but I still didn't play that much that game. But the evolution was… it's difficult. It's difficult any time you're switching from safety to corner, in particular a man-to-man corner. But I guess it was one of those things where repetition and practice and determination and all those types of things, it'll allow you to overcome any obstacles that you have to go through. It was a tough transition, but within three years, I was able to make it happen."

(on if he wanted to be a corner) "You know, coming in, I didn't because I was very comfortable playing safety in college. But I came here and (Raiders owner) Mr. (Al) Davis saw that I could run and do certain things at the corner position, so he said he'd give it a try. I was definitely reluctant to do it just because I knew the type of player – I mean, if I was on a cover two team, then I probably wouldn't have had any problem. I'd have said, ‘Sure, let's try it out,' get to bang the receiver and then just play zone. But coming in and playing man, it was something that played on my mind a little bit. So no, I didn't want it, but looks like it worked out."

(on if yards after the catch are as much of a concern with WR Andre Johnson as the catch itself) "Yeah, absolutely. You watch teams that play him around the league, and lots of times when he catches the ball in space, he's able to turn it up for a considerable gain. So those are some of the things that you always have to key on when you've got a guy like him or the other physical guys in the league, (Anquan) Boldin, Steve Smith or Brandon Marshall – those are the guys that any time they catch the ball, no matter where you are, you've got to swarm him to bring him down because he can always turn it into a big play."

(on what's it going to take for the Raiders to turn the corner) "It's going to take a lot of determination, I guess, by the group. We're going to have to be a lot more focused and we're going to have to believe in ourselves a little bit more. And we're really close. I know a lot of people can't see that from the outside looking in. They're probably thinking, ‘Oh, this team isn't going to do anything. They'll be terrible.' But from my point of view and from the guys here, we think that we're really close. We know that we're really close to turning it around, it's just a matter of a couple of good things happening to us to get that momentum going. I don't think we're that far off right now."

(on if the Texans are another team close to breaking through and becoming playoff team) "Yeah, we definitely see them as… we don't look at it as motivation like, ‘Oh, look what they did.' But we can see that in the Texans, they have that type of power, that type of ability to turn the corner. They almost made the playoffs last year. And no one talks down about the Texans. It's never like they're a terrible team. It's always like they're that mid-range, they might get into the playoffs, might not, but they're one of the teams that you can never sleep on. So there's a lot of respect that we have here for that ballclub and the coaches."

(on if he ever could've dreamed that the Raiders would have struggled so much when he was drafted) "No, not even close. First of all, when I was drafted, I looked at the team that drafted me, I said, ‘Wow, this is a team full of Hall of Famers and all-stars. They just came from the Super Bowl, it looks like we're going right back.' It couldn't have been any better of a situation for me, but it just didn't work out that way. So no, you never imagine that you're going to be winning four games a year pretty much every year. You're expecting to lose four games a year. So definitely a shock, and definitely something I've wanted to be a part of the turnaround with."

(on the Texans' star quality showing how hard it is to put it together) "Oh, yeah. It doesn't matter. Every team is talented. Every team's got some level of star quality, and the coaches are all here. They've all done it before. But that's why we play the game. That's why we go out on Sundays. I think if we could figure out who was going to win, then it wouldn't be any fun. And teams scheme other teams and try to figure out what the other guys are trying to do to them, and it's like a chess match: Whoever outsmarts the other guy on that given Sunday is going to win. It's the reason we play the game. The joy of the game is that you just never know what's going to happen from week to week."

Man this guy seems like the Andre Johnson of cornerbacks. Hopefully, however, he has a bad game and gets lit up.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nmandi talks about Dre

Quote:
(on not talking a lot on the field) "No, I don't talk a lot of trash on the field, and guys really don't talk that much trash to me. When they do, I just laugh. I really don't get into it. I'm trying to stay a little more focused than that."
My kind of player; no need to mouth off, let your performance speak for you.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Nnamdi scares me so much! He is the cornerback version of Andre Johnson!

Nnamdi vs. Andre is going to be a helluva match! (Hopefully it goes better for Andre this time!)
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #4
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta love Nnamdi. I wish we can get things turned around in Oakland, if not, I do hope that Nnamdi gets sent off to a team that has a chance at going to the Super Bowl. He deserves much more then to rot away in Oakland, losing the best years of his professional career in a dysfunctional organization headed by a senile man.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Gotta love Nnamdi. I wish we can get things turned around in Oakland, if not, I do hope that Nnamdi gets sent off to a team that has a chance at going to the Super Bowl. He deserves much more then to rot away in Oakland, losing the best years of his professional career in a dysfunctional organization headed by a senile man.
We'll take him off your hands. If fact, I'd trade our entire secondary for him. Ofcourse you wouldn't be getting much then if we did.......

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow!! I'm impressed by both his respect and unwillingness to talk smack on the field. Seems like a good guy besides being a great cover guy.
Old 10-01-2009   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you not like this guy? Any team would love to have him. Now Rodney, take note. Asomugha and AJ are professionals. Randy "Quit on the Vikings and Raiders" Moss is not.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2009   #8
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 53 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected

I just love the respect these guys have for eachother...Andre talked about Nmandi with respect and after reading the quotes Nmandi did the same thing...both these guys respect eachother for being great players cant wait to see what happens
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

What a great guy. I like his humbleness. Its going to be a hell of a matchup on Sunday.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
What a great guy. I like his humbleness. Its going to be a hell of a matchup on Sunday.
He does seem like a great guy. He seems very intelligent too.
Old 10-01-2009   #11
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre will be talking about Nmandi on Playbook, today at 5 on NFLN.
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I hate him - the same way I hate most great players that aren't Texans.
Old 10-01-2009   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He does seem like a great guy. He seems very intelligent too.
I agree, but I can't help but think of this:

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move they lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And mutha********s act like they forgot about Dre

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 10-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #14
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I agree, but I can't help but think of this:

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move they lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And mutha********s act like they forgot about Dre

Good point!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read