Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-01-2009   #1
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson's story is best you've never heard

I thought that this was a great story about more than just the football side of life for Jerrod Johnson. After reading it and learning more about him, it makes me very proud to have him here at A&M!! WHOOP!!

Quote:
He is the Sidd Finch of college football, a player so talented and productive it's almost impossible to believe he's real.

But Texas A&M junior quarterback Jerrod Johnson is very real. And despite carrying a team with less talent and more freshmen than all the hyped-up Heisman-watch names, Johnson is making a stronger early-season case for the stiff-arm statue than anyone.

His story -- how he's become one of the most mature and grounded athletes in big-time sports -- is equally inspiring.

You wouldn't know it, however, unless you took the time to drive to College Station to catch a glimpse of this kid who has run like Terrelle Pryor, led like Colt McCoy, thrown like Sam Bradford. Teammates and coaches respect his tough-mindedness and character as much as so many fans admire Tim Tebow's.

But television cameras have not followed Johnson's every move. In fact, they have not followed any of them. Not one of Johnson's monstrous games this season has been televised. The director in the truck has not demanded that cameras capture every facial expression and emotion of Johnson's mother, girlfriend or neighbors. Brent Musberger has not cooed over Johnson's greatness or made it seem that when he traipses effortlessly over football turf he could just as well be walking on water. Thom Brennaman has not gushed over spending five or 20 minutes with Johnson, saying your life would be better for it.

As one Austin columnist put it after watching Johnson run for three touchdowns and pass for three more in a 56-19 pasting of Alabama-Birmingham on Saturday, "Stick [Johnson] in Tim Tebow's uniform, and after the numbers he put up ... the Heisman race would be over."
Here's the rest of the story..
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texas A&M QB Jerrod Johnson's story is best you've never heard

I have been impressed by Johnson ever since I first saw him play at A&M his freshman year. Even though he didn't get many touches you could just tell how great an athlete he was.

He seems to have everything you look for in a QB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Not saying the guy isn't good, but John P... Lopez should have waited a couple weeks to print the article, naming stats against the Aggies cream puff opponents doesn't give him much credit. But it will be interesting to see how he does against some legit teams this year.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #4
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

starting this weekend against Arkansas will be a good time to see how JJ holds up.
Old 10-03-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Johnson is legit but ran into a tough Arkansas team. Best of luck to the Ags (especially against OU)...except when they play the 'Horns.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009   #6
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
I thought that this was a great story about more than just the football side of life for Jerrod Johnson. After reading it and learning more about him, it makes me very proud to have him here at A&M!! WHOOP!!

Here's the rest of the story..
this joke couldn't even go two sentences without making a mistake.
Old 10-04-2009   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnson is legit. His team is not.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2009   #8
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Johnson is legit. His team is not.
you're right on both, but Sherman is showing he can recruit well as his predecessor could not.

they're on the right track.
Old 10-04-2009   #9
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...on-is-gro.html

Quote:
Surprisingly, because I thought it would be an integral part of the story, John didn't mention in the SI.com piece that he was Jerrod's AAU basketball coach, that his son and Jerrod are tight and just how close the Lopez and Johnson families are. Below is from a recent weekly column John wrote for TexAgs.com:

"When Larry (Jerrod's father) was dying from a massive stroke in December of 2007, I stood next to his bed at the hospital and promised him I would always look out for his boys, Jerrod and Marquis."

John provides wonderful background on the amazing Johnson family in the SI.com piece, but I kept stumbling over his over-the-top praise of Jerrod's accomplishments to date.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #10
Ckw

Personally, I really believe Jerrod is a spectacular QB. It's too bad he is stuck behind A&M's line. For anyone that just looked at the stat sheet and didn't watch the game, Jerrod was running for his life the entire game. A&M's OTs are some of the worst I have ever seen in a football game. It was a complete and total joke.
Old 10-05-2009   #11
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Personally, I really believe Jerrod is a spectacular QB. It's too bad he is stuck behind A&M's line. For anyone that just looked at the stat sheet and didn't watch the game, Jerrod was running for his life the entire game. A&M's OTs are some of the worst I have ever seen in a football game. It was a complete and total joke.
Our true freshman LT Barrera got absolutely demolished out there last night. It was tough to watch that game past the half way mark of the 1st quarter but I made it to the end of the 3rd then had to start drinking more heavily.

I have to say though, if Tannehill doesn't drop that wide open TD pass early in the game with a 10-7 lead, this is a very different game. That play, happening right after the Arkansas touchdown, finished the complete change in momentum towards Arkansas favor and it was all downhill from there.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #12
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
Our true freshman LT Barrera got absolutely demolished out there last night. It was tough to watch that game past the half way mark of the 1st quarter but I made it to the end of the 3rd then had to start drinking more heavily.

I have to say though, if Tannehill doesn't drop that wide open TD pass early in the game with a 10-7 lead, this is a very different game. That play, happening right after the Arkansas touchdown, finished the complete change in momentum towards Arkansas favor and it was all downhill from there.
Totally agree but both tackles, Barrera and even Grimes (I think was at RT), were AWFUL! It seemed like every play all Arkansas had to do was bring a four man rush and the DEs could just race right around A&M's tackles. It was really disturbing.
Old 10-05-2009   #13
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

The line was getting absolutely demolished, but at some point in the 2nd half JJ completely lost confidence in the OL and would scramble to the sideline almost immediately, regardless of pass rush. He's a talented young player, but he's still got some maturing to do.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
The line was getting absolutely demolished, but at some point in the 2nd half JJ completely lost confidence in the OL and would scramble to the sideline almost immediately, regardless of pass rush. He's a talented young player, but he's still got some maturing to do.
Yeah, I saw that, but what else could he do? Every play he was getting smashed and running for his life, so I really don't think anything was mentally wrong. The way the line was playing Jerrod scrambling was the only chance A&M had to win the game. I really don't even think the Texans line ever looked as bad as that Aggie offensive line.
Old 10-05-2009   #15
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Yeah, I saw that, but what else could he do? Every play he was getting smashed and running for his life, so I really don't think anything was mentally wrong. The way the line was playing Jerrod scrambling was the only chance A&M had to win the game. I really don't even think the Texans line ever looked as bad as that Aggie offensive line.
Yea, the line was extraordinarily crappy but the coaches and JJ need to work together to get some quick slants or screens. Something to combat the rush other than 1. roll right 2. throw out of bounds or in bounds with poor accuracy 3. rinse and repeat. The OL was horrible, but I have enough faith in Sherman and JJ that I believe they can come up with better than what they did with the passing game in the 2nd half.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read