Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rookie linebacker shines for Texans

Quote:
HOUSTON — Linebacker Brian Cushing has been one of the only bright spots on Houston's NFL-worst defense this season. The rookie is leading the team with 26 tackles despite missing the entire preseason with a knee injury.

"He's been exceptional," coach Gary Kubiak said. "All of our linebackers have played well. He's been an impact player."

Cushing had eight tackles and knocked down two passes against the Jaguars. It was the third game that he has led or tied for the team lead in tackles this season.

Cushing, the 15th overall pick in the draft, was a four-year starter at Southern California last season. He led the nation's second-ranked defense with 10 1/2 tackles for losses.

As good as Cushing has been, Kubiak doesn't even think he's scratched the surface of his potential.

"To me he's not even close to what he's going to be before this season's over," Kubiak said. "We've got a good one for a long, long time."

That's good news to a team that's trying to build its defense around young players and already has a solid middle linebacker to play alongside Cushing in 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year DeMeco Ryans.

"I expected him to play well," Ryans said. "There was no reason why he wouldn't have performed the way he's been performing because he's a good player."

When asked what makes Cushing such a good player Kubiak repeated the word effort, not once, but four times.

"Most great players play with tremendous effort and he does that the whole game," Kubiak said.

Cushing said the most challenging part of this season was getting the first game out of the way. After that he was fine and adjusted well. Now that he has three games under his belt, Cushing thinks maybe missing the time was a blessing in disguise.

"If anything my body feels better, I'm fresher than a lot of these guys," he said.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...tebook-093009/

more Texan tidbits on the link
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie linebacker shines for Texans

Nice article.

Quote:
"I expected him to play well," Ryans said. "There was no reason why he wouldn't have performed the way he's been performing because he's a good player."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed they are adding in all the assists as a full tackle instead of basing the tackle numbers on solo tackles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I noticed they are adding in all the assists as a full tackle instead of basing the tackle numbers on solo tackles.
In NFL reporting I would say that is the norm. Like when Zach Thomas had more tackles than Demeco (in his rookie year) in all the reports but 2/3rds of his were assists and 2/3rds of Demeco's were solos.
Old 10-01-2009   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I am trying to figure out how Diles leading the team in tackles a year ago is not showing up on the radar. The scheme funnels player to the SAM, and MIKE. They better make the play.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Until it is noticeable that teams will not run Cushing's way, I will hold judgement. For the record, he's doing better than I thought he would.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hooray. The lead tackler on the NFLs worst run defense. Should we throw him a party?
Old 10-01-2009   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Hooray. The lead tackler on the NFLs worst run defense. Should we throw him a party?
Nah, Bob and Rick are going to just use this as reason to why we didn't end up signing Demeco.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Until it is noticeable that teams will not run Cushing's way, I will hold judgement. For the record, he's doing better than I thought he would.
He's missed a lot of tackles in space but he is physical. He was hell on the TE off the line last week.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Good idea. :P
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I came here thinking I would be reading post after post about how great Cushing has been playing. Its good to see people HERE still have a grasp on reality. He has looked good in some aspects but bad in others. Like PK said the defense is designed for his position so the amount of tackles he makes shouldnt be the measuring stick for his performance.

So far I like his intensity but he has a long way to go before I say he is worthy of his draft slot. I want to see him get better at open field tackling, getting to the QB when blitzing, creating turnovers and making big plays on a regular basis.
Old 10-01-2009   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Waiting to see how he covers Dallas Clark. If he is going to make a difference for us in winning the division, he needs to limit Dallas Clark. I don't know if he can do that...
Old 10-01-2009   #13
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did MJD run over Brians side.
Old 10-01-2009   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

off topic

Quote:
Brian Cushing breaks a 7-year gym record by benching 225lbs. 35 times the day before leaving for training camp! The previous record in the Pro Athlete Division was held by former Kansas City Chiefs D-tackle, Eric Downing (33 reps).
geeze, he doesn't seem to miss a beat until around 26 (some of you weight lifters (or ex) might see something different)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcxMsC3ny8g
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I bet a hardass like Cushing hates being on such a soft defense

DeMeco and Mario too
Old 10-01-2009   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58086 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I bet a hardass like Cushing hates being on such a soft defense

DeMeco and Mario too
You know I dont know if they arent to blame as well. Ryans is playing his ass off and Mario is getting run away from alot. But they are (or should be) the leaders of this Defense. Actually making sure everyone is lined up right should be one of Demecos jobs. He is the QB of the D. These kind of mistakes shouldnt happen with him on the field. I havent seen either one of them getting on to players who blow assignments or miss tackles.

This is a young Defense. We need our vet leaders to stand up and take charge. There needs to be more communication between the players and obviously a better understanding of what not only each individuals responsibilities are but their teamates responsibilities are too.

We are playing like a bunch of individuals out there instead of a team.
Old 10-01-2009   #17
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Good idea. :P
Cushing Cushing he's our man, if he can't do it, Demeco can!

haha

No, but for real, this is good for Cushing. Texans have a nice linebacker core. We just need to fix up the secondary. It's really a shame at how bad our secondary is.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Cushing Cushing he's our man, if he can't do it, Demeco can!

haha

No, but for real, this is good for Cushing. Texans have a nice linebacker core. We just need to fix up the secondary. It's really a shame at how bad our secondary is.
If we just had the 2003 secondary (okay except for Petey) with the 2009 LB corps...
...oh and Gary Walker to play along side Okam/Cody...

sorry, I was daydreaming again
Old 10-02-2009   #19
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Waiting to see how he covers Dallas Clark. If he is going to make a difference for us in winning the division, he needs to limit Dallas Clark. I don't know if he can do that...
So your measuring stick of Cushing is to see how well he covers the TE that almost no LB can keep up with in coverage? That makes alot of sense.
Old 10-02-2009   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You know I dont know if they arent to blame as well. Ryans is playing his ass off and Mario is getting run away from alot. But they are (or should be) the leaders of this Defense. Actually making sure everyone is lined up right should be one of Demecos jobs. He is the QB of the D. These kind of mistakes shouldnt happen with him on the field. I havent seen either one of them getting on to players who blow assignments or miss tackles.

This is a young Defense. We need our vet leaders to stand up and take charge. There needs to be more communication between the players and obviously a better understanding of what not only each individuals responsibilities are but their teamates responsibilities are too.

We are playing like a bunch of individuals out there instead of a team.
DeMeco and Mario are 4th year vets. They're gonna make mistakes just like the rest of the D even if they are the leaders. That's one of the main reasons its ridiculous to not have some real veteran leadership (I'm talking someone who's been in the league around a decade and can still play) on a young defense that is aggressive.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read