Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2009   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A letter to Bob McNair...

I also posted this same letter to McClain's blog.

Dear Mr. McNair,

I've been frustrated as heck with this team this year, and my wife keeps coyly asking me if I'm ready to give up my 1st- and 2nd-row Bull Pen tickets. It gets tempting, but usually a couple of days after a loss I've settled down and think things through. It's made me look hard at this team, though, and one thing I'm pretty sure of: Rome wasn't built in a day, but Hiroshima was destroyed in seconds.

This team had way more than one bad position when Smith and Kubiak took over. DE, DT, QB, LB, TE, OL, RB, and S were all terrible. Beyond Dunta and AJ, our CB's and WR's were also awful. In our 4th year now, we have a very good QB, receiving corps, LB corps, RB, TE, at least one great DE, and a solid OL. That's a heck of a lot to fix in 3 years.

I'm frustrated too at how long this has taken to fix. But in reading my own posts and thinking things through, I think I'll give this regime a bit of a break if they've fixed all but two positions (DT and S) in 3 years. The defense looks terrible, but I think it has taken improvement everywhere else to see exactly HOW bad certain positions are. Fix the gaping holes at DT and the safeties, and you'll see an entirely different defense. I still believe in Kubiak, I still believe in Rick Smith. I'm skeptical of Frank Bush because he promised us more aggression and pressure, and I haven't seen it yet, but we're also only three games in, so I'll try to be optimistic.

Bottom line, I think Kubiak has done a tremendous job of fixing an incredibly inept offense, and he has now turned the reins over to Lil' Shanny. This means he'll be focusing 100% on defense until it's right. I think he can do it, and I think McNair needs to be very cautious when evaluating the progress. This team was bad in all aspects of the game when Smithiak took over, and there's one piece left to fix. No matter how painful, let's give them just a little more time to get it right. If they're successful, we could be looking at a dynastic regime. What I don't want is a revolving door of coaches for this team.

I know you and Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are doing everything you can to be competitive. And regardless of what a lot of sour fans may say, I know all you and your players and coaches want to do is win. I'm sure you're all as frustrated as we are, but I for one am willing to try to ride this out as long as it takes. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #2
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A letter to Bob McNair...

Well said. There is a lot of football left this season and way to early to rush to judgement. Hell after week one, I was sure our offence wouldn't score more than 14 in any game this season.
Old 09-30-2009   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice letter.

I still think we should all pitch in and buy the Texans front office a box of "Washington Generals" t-shirts.
Old 09-30-2009   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Repped. Well said.
Old 09-30-2009   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I've had one criterion to judge this team by since the new regime took over: continuous improvement.

The bottom line is that I haven't seen it. It leveled off sometime after the 2007 season. Certain aspects of the team have improved, but not the team's overall performance. And it sure hasn't translated in the W-L column.

I know that there's lots of room for argument as far as to which 8-8 team was better, but I don't buy it. Mediocre is mediocre.

I'm not a homer for any particular coach, player, or GM. If they don't produce, then they should get replaced.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #6
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 274 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post

Dear Mr. McNair,

I've been frustrated as heck with this team this year, and my wife keeps coyly asking me if I'm ready to give up my 1st- and 2nd-row Bull Pen tickets. It gets tempting, but usually a couple of days after a loss I've settled down and think things through. It's made me look hard at this team, though, and one thing I'm pretty sure of: Rome wasn't built in a day, but Hiroshima was destroyed in seconds.

This team had way more than one bad position when Smith and Kubiak took over. DE, DT, QB, LB, TE, OL, RB, and S were all terrible. Beyond Dunta and AJ, our CB's and WR's were also awful. In our 4th year now, we have a very good QB, receiving corps, LB corps, RB, TE, at least one great DE, and a solid OL. That's a heck of a lot to fix in 3 years.

I'm frustrated too at how long this has taken to fix. But in reading my own posts and thinking things through, I think I'll give this regime a bit of a break if they've fixed all but two positions (DT and S) in 3 years. The defense looks terrible, but I think it has taken improvement everywhere else to see exactly HOW bad certain positions are. Fix the gaping holes at DT and the safeties, and you'll see an entirely different defense. I still believe in Kubiak, I still believe in Rick Smith. I'm skeptical of Frank Bush because he promised us more aggression and pressure, and I haven't seen it yet, but we're also only three games in, so I'll try to be optimistic.

Bottom line, I think Kubiak has done a tremendous job of fixing an incredibly inept offense, and he has now turned the reins over to Lil' Shanny. This means he'll be focusing 100% on defense until it's right. I think he can do it, and I think McNair needs to be very cautious when evaluating the progress. This team was bad in all aspects of the game when Smithiak took over, and there's one piece left to fix. No matter how painful, let's give them just a little more time to get it right. If they're successful, we could be looking at a dynastic regime. What I don't want is a revolving door of coaches for this team.

I know you and Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are doing everything you can to be competitive. And regardless of what a lot of sour fans may say, I know all you and your players and coaches want to do is win. I'm sure you're all as frustrated as we are, but I for one am willing to try to ride this out as long as it takes. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston.

I just watched the Bob McNair spotlight vid at HT.com....gotta say, I thought he was a good man before, but I have an immense respect for him now. I know he's not one of those owners that doesn't give a crap and just count the $$$. He really cares and wants to succeed. I know he'll get this right and I'm willing to wait as well. It'll be sweet as heck when it happens
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

my letter would have been shorter. "Assume the position!" and "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2009   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Mcnair ever responded to any of these letters himself?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #9
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 4293 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Nice letter.

I still think we should all pitch in and buy the Texans front office a box of "Washington Generals" t-shirts.
Where do I send my contribution?
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #10
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Has Mcnair ever responded to any of these letters himself?
I'm sure they have the same letter ready for every fan who writes in, "thank you for your continued support of the Texans and rest assured we're trying our best every day to build a champion here in Houston, blah, blah, blah"
Old 09-30-2009   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

stay classy Texans
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: A letter to Bob McNair...

Dear DerekLee1,

Thank you for your very kind letter and generous support of the Houston Texans!

Did you like the all red uniforms last week? They are really neat and my favorite.

Sincerely,

Bob McNair
Old 09-30-2009   #13
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dear DerekLee1,

Thank you for your very kind letter and generous support of the Houston Texans!

Did you like the all red uniforms last week? They are really neat and my favorite.

Sincerely,

Bob McNair
ZOMG!! Bob McNair responded!! I'm never washing this forum post again!! AAAAYYYYYYYHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2009   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Great, now McNair will point to this letter than things are good and not change a thing. Thanks. I was hoping you'd blast him for sitting there and doing nothing while waiting years to get decent while other teams grow and get to the playoffs...but that is just a letter I'd write.
Old 09-30-2009   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dear Mr. McNair,

Sounds like someone has been drinking the red Kool-Aid again.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #16
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to ride this out as long as it takes?

You'll die before you see good safety play in a houston uniform.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Bob McNair and Mrs. McNair, their race horses, the GM, head coach, scouts, water boy, cheer leaders and most of the players. I even like most of you. I believe I have legitimate complaints of what I don't like.

First and for most is posters who do not accept any criticism of the team or coaches.

Next is a GM & coach identifying the need to stop the run as the DT position hasn't stopped sweat; then drafting a LB in first round to stop the run. I really like Cushing and his tackles. Uh, how many were within one yard or behind LOS? How many QB sacks or hurries does he have? We give a free agent DE a huge contract and...? Oh, yeah he can slide in on certain plays. How is that working out for us?

Next is a high priority of a power back so we sign Brown http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=4551 3.1 yds? Oh yeah, we got a potential guy somewhere on the bench as an UFA. At least the price for Foster is right.

Safety is a huge problem so we draft a 7th rounder who is not able to play. Diles has encouraged my hopes for 7th rounders but we really needed two tight ends in 4th and 5th? How many plays at that position heve they got?

So, yeah.. I am a wee bit concerned.
Old 09-30-2009   #18
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
I'm willing to ride this out as long as it takes?

You'll die before you see good safety play in a houston uniform.
Are you a safety? Because you seem really obsessed with this safety thing.

Yes, our safety play is horrible. But so was every other freaking position on the defense 4 years ago. If that's all you've got left to complain about is one position - then what are you complaining about? Think 4 years ago today. Most teams can fix two positions at most in an offseason. We fixed a lot more than 8 positions in 4 offseasons.

It's going to be a real shame if McNair jumps the gun, fires Kubiak and his staff, and then see the team see someone else add the final missing piece and go to the playoffs. The new guy would get all the accolades while reaping the benefit of what Kubiak and Smith built (think Jon Gruden).
Old 09-30-2009   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes, our safety play is horrible. But so was every other freaking position on the defense 4 years ago. If that's all you've got left to complain about is one position - then what are you complaining about? Think 4 years ago today. Most teams can fix two positions at most in an offseason. We fixed a lot more than 8 positions in 4 offseasons.

It's going to be a real shame if McNair jumps the gun, fires Kubiak and his staff, and then see the team see someone else add the final missing piece and go to the playoffs. The new guy would get all the accolades while reaping the benefit of what Kubiak and Smith built (think Jon Gruden).
Are you Gary Kubiak or what? So what if the next coach gets the love for having a good team?

yeah, too bad the Jets jumped the gun and fired Mangini a year after going 10-6. It may take them years to recover (turn on your sarcasm meters for that one). I don't think anyone in NY cares who gets the credit now that they look like one of the better teams in the league. If the Jets took the kind of advice you are dishing out they would still be mediocre.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #20
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm tired of discussing the 50,000 other issues when this is the main one and gets ignored.

What do I have to complain about????? Are you serious??? Do you watch texans football? Do you enjoy watching endlessly long touchdowns from the other team? I should shut up and be glad that they've ignored my yelling for a safety because our d-line gets no push and our linebackers can't be bothered to line up on running backs out of the backfield. You think everything is fixed but safety and DT? You are absolutely insane.

Its going to be a real shame when you have to sit through another year of this **** because you sent mcnair a letter telling him everything is okay and your just going to be patient. Enjoy that.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read