Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Isolated review of Texans vs. Jags

Offense

The O looked very good in the first half. We seem to rarely if ever get off to a quick start but throughout the first half Schuab and Co. were virtually unstoppable.

Schaub Schaub made twice as many mistakes as last week. By my count that's about 6 mistakes. When the man has time... oh my goodness. He looks incredibly comfortable. He does a wonderful job of reading the D and throwing to somebody for a positive gain. Sometimes he's reading and may be locked into his periphery and miss some long shots down field but I think we can all agree that he has no shortage of deep throws so I'm having a hard time complaining about that aspect of his game. If I had to point out mistakes it would be strangely inaccurate 3 or 4 times a game. Usually when under pressure. He has a tendency to throw low to wide open receivers in the flat but they almost always dig it up and get positive yards.

In the second half there were mistakes and missed assignments and the Offense performed sluggishly but when it came down to it Schaub (and Slaton) carried this team down the field and put them in position to score (twice). Matt held the ball too long once but for the most part it was mistakes by the O Line that seemed to slow this attack, not Schaub. You ever notice how surprising it is when one of our receivers drops a pass? They are good, but there's more to it than that.

Slaton go to 3:40 in our final drive. Watch his cut between 55 and 64 he anticipates 64 gaining leverage and makes a cut that looks like he's cutting right into a mess but somehow he slides through this spot and then continues down the field. It reminded me of that run against Cincy last year. All the cuts are simple but brilliant. He seems to be getting back into the groove. His pass protection was as good as I've seen it.

Brown didn't look to great but he didn't get many opportunities. A change of pace back seems less effective in this offense to me because so much of it is dependent on rhythm. Dude almost cried after the game. I'm done commenting on his injury history until he get's hurt. I like that heart.

Leach I would love to say something other than he's good but there's nothing else to say. He is an excellent lead blocker. He's getting more looks out of the backfield as a dump off and he makes the catch.

[bJohnson[/b] Didn't do anything amazing this game but caught everything thrown to him. Was doubled the entire game. See the results below...

Walter All the folks who said things like "Walter is a decent #2 but I look for Jones or someone else to replace him soon. Take note of what a key kog this guy is. He's tough, quick, sure handed and our best blocker at that position. I really got a sense that with him back in the game this pass offense takes another step forward. After 80 got hurt 2 years ago the entire corps got better. Now 83 was out for 2 games and Jones just got better. Well, 83 is back! I have no issue with the pass interference call. I don't think it was intentional but he did get in the way.

Jones made another tough catch in the endzone... hmmm what have we got here? Thanks to KevinS Walter. Glad you're feeling better now but we have gained another target in your absence.

Daniels I'm concerned about his blocking. I don't feel like it's up to par with where he was at last season. He's getting blown up too frequently and it appears to be a key position in this offense because when he looses on his guy the play tends to die at the line of scrimmage.

Dreesen was solid and caught everything thrown to him. But that's kind of the case with all these guys. Give me Casey!!! (just kidding) This guy is the most underappreciated guy on this team. And don't forget he's long snapping too!

Brown played extremely well for the 3rd week in a row. One very costly false start in the 4th quarter.

STUDdard ok, here goes... KASEY STUDDARD PLAYED A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL GAME. HE LOOKED VERY GOOD AGAINST THE RUN. There, I got that off my chest. He got blown up once I think and was sloppy out of position a few times but never got burned for it that I could find. I was very impressed with him on run plays where he's driving his guy very hard. Quite surprised and impressed. I can say with confidence that I think he will help the run game improve. I cannot say the same thing for the pass protection but he didn't look as awful as he has in the past. Most improved to say the least.

Meyers has been very consistent and continued that today. He get's blown up 1 or 2 times a game (usually at inopportune times) but mostly does a serviceable job. If he notices that ball laying in the endzone who knows what would have happened.

Briesel I still can't find anything to say about this guy. He doesn't seem to screw up much and gets his job done every week.

Winston looked very good this week. Much better in pass protection.

The OLine overall looked fairly good but I would say that they had a bad quarter and in the end that may have cost us the game. False starts and busted pass protection showed up in the 3rd when they had played very well up until that point. As I said it may have cost us the game we could have slowed the Jags down if we get some drives going in the 3rd. Well, that and the defense could have helped.
Old 09-29-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Isolated review of Texans vs. Jags

I just wrote a long ass review of the Defense and accidentally deleted it right before I sent it.

I'm not suffering through that again.

Here's the edited version.

The Texans Defense lost the game because they don't stay in their gaps, the secondary can't tackle and Amobi OKoye.

Go Texans.
Old 09-29-2009   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hehe, thanks for doing the work, much appreciated.

I'm still having a hard time pinpointing exactly what the _main_ reason for the ineffective defense has been. The 'no talent' and the 'bad scheme' excuses do not cut it for me, and I'm left to wonder if it's the position coaches that are doing a horrible job.

I should watch the JAX game again, but I have a hard time convincing myself that 2˝hrs of painful Houston defeat will be the best way for me to spend an evening...
Old 09-29-2009   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The INT by Schaub is either a poor decision by Schaub and/or Studdard getting owned by Henderson.

A broken play in which Schaub delivered a 24yd pass to Walter; both Studdard and OD were pushed back into MS, forcing him to scramble.

I haven't got the heart to check out the second half.

I was afraid of the Jags in their new 3-4, lining up Henderson over Studdard.
At least, he came out of the first half not too terribly.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The INT by Schaub is either a poor decision by Schaub and/or Studdard getting owned by Henderson.
It looked like a great defensive play to me. Most corners are not physically, or mentally capable of beating 'Dre for that INT.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #6
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

No AJ?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
No AJ?
The one with the broken [b] tags.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
No AJ?
Johnson is the best WR in the NFL. He was double covered the majority of the game. He played great. Had a key block on a run play. He's really really good. There's really nothing to say about him except that he's amazing. I didn't think evaluating him was very helpful. But there you go.
Old 09-30-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
It looked like a great defensive play to me. Most corners are not physically, or mentally capable of beating 'Dre for that INT.
Henderson beat Studdard to get to Schaub.
He did not touch the QB.

But it looks like Matt couldn't step completely into his throw and/or couldn't follow through all the way with his forward motion.

That ball should have been thrown more to the outside the way the CB was having safety help over the top.

It still was an unsound decision by Schaub, IMO.
With pressure coming at his face, it would have been better to check down to Slaton who was in his line of sight and wide open in the left flat.
Old 10-01-2009   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Henderson beat Studdard to get to Schaub.
He did not touch the QB.

But it looks like Matt couldn't step completely into his throw and/or couldn't follow through all the way with his forward motion.

That ball should have been thrown more to the outside the way the CB was having safety help over the top.

It still was an unsound decision by Schaub, IMO.
With pressure coming at his face, it would have been better to check down to Slaton who was in his line of sight and wide open in the left flat.
And we took points off the board, one of the fews things I hate the most.
We would have been in FG range.

Not to blame the game on Schaub; but with the way our D is playing right now, we need every point we can get.
Old 10-01-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

I do think it was ill-advised. He couldn't step into that throw for sure but there was a S over the top too. There were better options. I have a hard time being upset about throwing one up for 80 and letting him go get it but I'm not sure that was the kind of scenario I'm thinking of. 1 on 1 I think it's a fine decision. (even if he can't get the best throw off.) because Johnson has a good chance of coming up with it. But with a S over the top too is not the best decision. Plus, I feel like there were better options.

But again, this is being pretty critical. I think he played very, very well.
Old 10-01-2009   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Dre didn't help Matt out too much on the pick. He kind of drifted backwards instead of going up for the ball. Most DB's don't make that play though, so its a thing that happens. I'm not blaming AJ for the pick, just saying he could have helped Matt out a little more.
Old 10-01-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Johnson is the best WR in the NFL. He was double covered the majority of the game. He played great. Had a key block on a run play. He's really really good. There's really nothing to say about him except that he's amazing. I didn't think evaluating him was very helpful. But there you go.
Did you notice that they never, and I mean NEVER, threw his way in the second half???
In the first half, 7 passes went in his direction. He caught four. One was picked. The other two were incomplete/defensed.
In the second half - NADA!

I asked this in another thread....
WTF?!?
Was he hurt?
Why else would we take our "Ultimate Weapon" off the table?
Old 10-01-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Did you notice that they never, and I mean NEVER, threw his way in the second half???
In the first half, 7 passes went in his direction. He caught four. One was picked. The other two were incomplete/defensed.
In the second half - NADA!

I asked this in another thread....
WTF?!?
Was he hurt?
Why else would we take our "Ultimate Weapon" off the table?
Because, we allow teams to take our game plan from us. Instead of finding creative ways to keep him involved, we shrug and go another route.
Old 10-01-2009   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

He did get hurt. something with the back of his arm. they put some kind of compression thing on it. He was still in the game. Can't say if thats why they dont go back to him though.
Old 10-01-2009   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My Isolated view of this game is that the defense SUCKED big time AGAIN.

The offense only put up 3 pts in the 2nd half. Cant do that with our defense.

The penalty on Walter was a BS call

Chris Brown needs to stop fumbling the ball into the endzone with 2 mins to play.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I'm worried about AJ. He wasn't even asked about from my recollection after the game and Kubiak certainly didn't mention him by name whether he was okay. But the fact that we didn't even target him in the second half (the half where we only put up 3 points) makes me think he may have hurt himself far more than the team is letting on (nothing new on that front).

I know he'll play but i'm worried about his effectiveness if he is in fact injured especially when matched up against Assomougha. We dont usually do well when AJ doesn't get the ball. Despite having a talented supporting cast if we use AJ as a "decoy" we aren't gonna score many points. He's our playmaker and he needs to be force fed heaping helpings of pigskin every game.

There's not a DB in the NFL who can take him out of the game as far as i've seen. The only way he's eliminated is if we stop throwing him the ball which is what happened against OAK last year, NY this year, and JAX in the second half.
Old 10-01-2009   #18
barrett
Hall of Fame

Basically, what I saw from the D was more of the same from last week. Before I deleted it on accident, I had even used a section of my assessment from last week verbatim.

Quote:
It's very frustrating to watch the defense because they are very good about 1/3 of the time, very bad 1/3 of the time and the other 1/3 is really the key to this defense getting better or sucking.

It's the 3rd 1/3 (if you will). In this 1/3, you'll find no less than 8-10 guys doing their jobs on any given play. And doing those jobs quite well I might add. But it's these 1-3 guys
that are completely ****ing it up for everybody else.

When they are very bad it's usually because they are fast. They over persue or they get physically locked out because they are smaller faster guys who can't get off a block. (This is consistent throughout the entire defense. DL, LB's [less so] and CB's.)

When they are very good they are explosive and sound in their gaps and tackling, tight in their coverage etc..

When we give up a 15 yard screen or a 8 yard run or a 57-yard run, a 69-yard pass play and a 91-yard run it's because 1-3 guys just stunk it up.
The only real difference in this is the distance of the yards on the big plays. It's the same types of mistakes by the same people for the most part. There are a few noteworthy players to point out though:

The guys who seem to hurt us the most:

Fred Bennett played one of the worst games I've seen him play but the really bad news is, he didn't play that much worse than is normal for him. He looks so sloppy with his body. It doesn't make sense to me. His arms and legs are just flailing around and his momentum drags him out of the play consistently. He isn't quick to react with his body. If he's playing man once he settles into that point in the route where you kind of have to decide if the receiver is going to sit or keep going and adjust, if he's wrong he can't get out of it quickly enough for him to be a factor.

From a tackling perspective his head is down and he just looks sloppy. He's a big player and should be able to use that to his advantage but his vision or lake there of gets him out of the way because the player he's tackling can adjust but Fred's head is down so he doesn't see it. go to 2:20 in the 3rd and watch a sweep to the right.

Amobi Okoye played better throughout the game than I've seen this season but he is still ineffective the majority of the time. I don't expect the DT's to make plays every down but when you get run out of the play not only are you not effective you're making it even harder on the rest of the team. He gets run out of the play too often and it's severe.

John Busing is having athleticism issues. But I wan't to give him credit because frequently he was left to aide Bennett and that's quite a handicap. You see his lack of athleticism when he lay's the wood on the sideline but bounces off and ends up giving up the TD. I can't say he was playing poor assignment football for the most part but he does contribute to the long TD run for MJD by being out of position. He's just not good enough. His effort is solid. But he's just not helping. Neither is this guy:

Dominique Barber doesn't have half the effort Busing has and he's out of position. go to 14:20 in the 4th and watch his confusion. And he's a poor tackler. Speaking of being a poor tackler, so is this guy:

Dunta Robinson plays with ridiculous spead and quickness. He does exactly the opposite of what Bennett does as far as being able to correct his body and adjust to the play. He plays with good vision and intelligence but the problem is that all that goes out the window on a run play because his tackling is AWFUL. The one thing I can take from this positively is that he can slow the ball carrier in open space giving the rest of the D time to gang tackle. He's small and is trying to arm tackle and he's missing consistently. You can allow him a miss here and there because he plays so aggressively but it's not happening here and there. It's happening regularly. It's a problem. Is he rusty? I don't know. Is he tackling poorly and hurting this team? You bet.

Brian Cushing is making several mistakes. At one point in the game you see him misread and react too slowly to a screen pass. He adjusts and chases the play down and makes the tackle but he jumps up and is furious with himself. It's his third preseason game, he get's a pass. Big time. Because for every mistake he makes he makes twice as many good to great plays. It's a ton of fun to watch him tackle. He's extremely smart on the field and as he works out those rookie mistakes he looks like he's going to be the second smartest guy on the field next to 59. I'm including him in this list though because he is making more mistakes than you might think. But again, he gets a pass. Just like this guy:

Conner Barwin is totally ineffective. It's his 16th game to ever play DE so I'm giving him a pass as well but he is literally taking up a spot on the field and nothing more.

You really get a feel for how scary this scheme is. Often times there is 1 maybe 2 stop gaps per play. If 1 guy screws up you have maybe 1 chance to keep it from blowing up in your face. But when they run it according to play it is scary for the other team. Using the overall quickness of the team to our advantage.

So it's not as bad as you might have thought. 2 of the 4 secondary postions are major major liabilities and the 3rd is "rusty". We're going to try out 1 more guy back there this week so there's hope at S. All 3 LB's are playing exceptionally except when the rookie isn't but then he is on the next play so there's that. 1 of the 4 DL is run out of the play too frequently but did play better than he has at any time this year. So that's hopeful.

Right?

Go Texans.
Old 10-01-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My Isolated view of this game is that the defense SUCKED big time AGAIN.

The offense only put up 3 pts in the 2nd half. Cant do that with our defense.

The penalty on Walter was a BS call

Chris Brown needs to stop fumbling the ball into the endzone with 2 mins to play.

Dude, The Texans had a 6 minute drive for FG and two 3 and outs and then drove in for a score. They only had the ball 4 times the final two quarters. Drove to the 8 and kicked a FG, had two three and outs and drove to the 1 and scored a touchdown, had it called back and drove to the goal line and fumbled.

They couldn't get back on the field for the majority of the 2nd half because of the D. But then the D got them the ball back when the O couldn't get it done. Give some credit where credit is due.
Old 10-01-2009   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

You really get a feel for how scary this scheme is. Often times there is 1 maybe 2 stop gaps per play. If 1 guy screws up you have maybe 1 chance to keep it from blowing up in your face. But when they run it according to play it is scary for the other team. Using the overall quickness of the team to our advantage.
You would think the team would place more value on the safety position with a scheme so risky that if your safety screws up you could be looking at a td on that play. Yet we are content to have our insurance policy be street FAs and late round draft picks...

And we wonder why the defense cant get it right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read