Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th Quarter Running Game

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
So I hate Rich Lord. I want to preface that. But I want to give him credit(he discussed it yesterday when I was taking a 1560 break) for something I thought watching the game the other day..the lack of Slaton on 2 drives during the 4th quarter. It popped into my head because it is something I see happen when the Cowboys fail....getting too tricky with the pass when the run is effective. I acknowledge that the passing game is the strength of this team but with that said, Slaton had been running better:

3rd Quarter Series --Slaton has (2) 11 yard runs. Result: FG

4th Quarter Series 14:09 left in Game 31-24

1st Down-Pass
1st Down-Sack
2nd Down-Pass
3rd Down-False start
3rd Down-Pass
4th Down-Punt

4th Quarter Series 7:04 left in Game 31-24

1st Down-Pass
2nd Down-Pass
3rd Down-Sack
4th Down-Punt

4th Quarter Series 4:25 left

Slaton gets a 20 yarder mixed with passes..Chris Brown Fumble

So my point is what happened the first two series in the 4th. Slaton was effective in the series in the 3rd resulting in a FG. He was effective in the last series before the fumble. I can see how the sack might have dictated throwing but that was still 2 passes straight. The thinking might have been...14 minutes and we need to tie and then win but why not run Slaton who was averaging around 5 yards at the time. Just thoughts that I thought and that I heard yesterday from Lord too. I think they abandoned the run too early.

Last edited:
They need the usual token fumble, and Kubiak just knew that Slaton wasn't able to do it this week so he brought in Chris Brown. :voodoo:

I wondered the same thing, Frog. It seems to happen more often than not. Kubiak will state in his PC after the game that they got away from the run when they should've stuck with it. It happened a few times last season and he mentioned it again after the Jets game.

I thought that was one of the reasons Shanahan took the play calling over? To call a more balanced game. Eh, who really knows any more?

I wondered the same thing, Frog. It seems to happen more often than not. Kubiak will state in his PC after the game that they got away from the run when they should've stuck with it. It happened a few times last season and he mentioned it again after the Jets game.

I thought that was one of the reasons Shanahan took the play calling over? To call a more balanced game. Eh, who really knows any more?

Those two drives, I think we had a long 3rd and what 14/15 and we run the screen that we couldn't complete or went for 1 yard.

Those two drives, I think we had a long 3rd and what 14/15 and we run the screen that we couldn't complete or went for 1 yard.

Yeah but it was after starting pass(1st down), pass(which was a sack). So then you have 2nd down and he hits Jacoby for 5 yards. Then a false start and then 3rd and long. So it was the pattern...run a draw in there or at least one run to loosen them up.

Maybe they pass more in the 4th quarter to try and catch up to the other teams who is scoring a gazillion points against us.

We just didn't have too many plays after that FG

Pass to Walter 11yd
MS sacked for -7
Pass to JJ for 5yd
False start
(3rd and 17) Pass incomplete to OD

Traded punts

Pass incomplete to Slaton
Pass to Walter for 7
MS sacked for -7
(3 and out)

Punt then Jags fumbled.

Pass to Walter for 18
Slaton LG for 20
Pass incomplete to Dreessen
Pass to OD for 10
Pass to Dreessen for TD, nullified by penalty on Walter.
Pass to Anderson for 9
Chris Brown fumbled.

Back