Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fred Bennett, Amobi Okoye, SS

These guys were generally all on the left side of the defense today. I hate them! Bennett is awful in coverage and maybe the poorest tackler I've ever witnessed. Okoye gets destroyed anytime he's run at, and the combination of Busing, Barber, and Ferguson is actually the worst situation this organization has ever had at one position... except perhaps LT in 2002. Bernard Pollard is my new, favorite Texan!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Bennett, Amobi Okoye, SS

At least Amobi is making plays every once in a while. Bennett is just flat out getting *&^$-slapped & is contributing in no way at all. Dare i say it, but i think he's actually worse than Faggins.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

This organization needs to stop lying to themselves...

I can't stand how teams stick with a guy just because he was a 1st round pick, no matter how bad that player is drowning out there. Amobi is NOT a starting DT in this league......frankly it's getting to the point where I don't even think he should be a backup on a NFL roster. If he's not benched then how can this staff actually look anybody else in the face and bench them.

This is the #1 reason why rookie contracts NEED to be addressed.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #4
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
At least Amobi is making plays every once in a while. Bennett is just flat out getting *&^$-slapped & is contributing in no way at all. Dare i say it, but i think he's actually worse than Faggins.
Once upon a time Bennett looked decent enough that he'd be an improvement in the secondary. Whatever happened?
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Once upon a time Bennett looked decent enough that he'd be an improvement in the secondary. Whatever happened?
I think his confidence was taken away when he was benched by kubes in favor of faggins last year....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
I suppose some are going to say it's all because we didn't hire "an experienced NFL DC", right?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #7
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Our secondary is like Musical Chairs no one is Good LOL

Was reeves really that important DO we really miss him that much ???? who knows

there is going to be a point were are linebackers are going to be forced to stop blitzing and play ZOne to help our Weak secondary forcing the Dline to fend for themselfs

We play arozina and they man ... i cringe thinking about it right now Man they might Lite us Up in the Air
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I can't stand how teams stick with a guy just because he was a 1st round pick, no matter how bad that player is drowning out there.

This is the #1 reason why rookie contracts NEED to be addressed.
If his job is on the line, do you think he'll do anything less than put the best players out there?

This tells me either his job is not on the line..... while I'm not in the "Fire Gary Kubiak" club, I do think he should have had a stern talking to by now.... or he really believes Okoye is the best thing we've got at DT. I hate to think that is the case, but I'm not seeing much from our other DTs.
Old 09-28-2009   #9
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Our secondary is like Musical Chairs no one is Good LOL

Was reeves really that important DO we really miss him that much ???? who knows

there is going to be a point were are linebackers are going to be forced to stop blitzing and play ZOne to help our Weak secondary forcing the Dline to fend for themselfs

We play arozina and they man ... i cringe thinking about it right now Man they might Lite us Up in the Air
then where would all out sacks come from?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I suppose some are going to say it's all because we didn't hire "an experienced NFL DC", right?
I don't know why you keep scoffing at wanting "experienced defensive coaching"........it sure as hell is working out for NOLA and Denver...

These guys get jobs anytime they want for a reason....what's Richard Smith doing right now...is he running a defense? What do you think Frank Bush is going to be doing after he's fired? I mean, that's working out so well.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-28-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem identifying whether the coaching staff is doing a poor job in scheme or preparation is that they are hideous at internal assessment. I'm trying to imagine the meetings this off-season and how the entire organization became convinced that it was unneccessary to pursue anybody at safety, even for depth. I'd also love to hear the conversations going on in the film review when they watch Fred Bennett loaf around, disinterested, out of position, and tardy... whether the play is pass or run. Or, what is going on in those meetings that they continue to give Amobi Okoye every freakin' snap on run downs?

When the coaching staff handicaps itself that way, I have no way to watch the product on Sunday and assess if Bush is coaching the players well or not... or, if the guy is calling a "good" game.

Today, we had Zgoniga playing on some big 3rd and longs. That doesn't make sense when you have 9 healthy linemen. Put him in rotation on run downs and get Amobi the heck out of there, if you want the old man to play.

This has consistently been my biggest beef with Kubiak and the thing that holds him back from becoming a good coach, IMO.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #12
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 50924 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post

then where would all out sacks come from?
Yeah, we don't want to mess up a good thing - the Texans are on a pace for 5 sacks this year! Woo-Hoo!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The next time Bennet covers anyone, it'll be the first. I wanted to invade Reliant yesterday watching him be at every catch they made. It was sickening. Boulman is better in coverage than he is. I don't know why they didn't yank him.
Old 09-28-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Fred Bennett lacks everything except size you look for in a corner. He should be 3rd or 4th on a good teams depth chart, just for insurance certainly not a starter.

Amobi doesn't fit this scheme or the position & responsibility expected by Frank Bush. I have a question here, was Frank Bush with Texans during the 07 draft? or is he required to assimilate talent on hand to run his system? would it be better to change the system to fit the personel or vice versa?

The Safety position I'm afraid to say is going to have to be addressed via a 1st or 2nd rd. draft pick. Texans have needed a safety from inception names include Matt Stevens, Marlon McCree, Glenn Earl, Jason Simmons, CC Brown, Brandon Harrison, Will Demps, Nick Ferguson, Dominique Barber, Eugene Wilson & John Busing.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

We might.

Seriously, Fred Bennett IS the new Petey Faggins. He's actually become a combination of Petey and P-Burnt. He covers like Petey and tackles like P-Burnt.

He's Petey-Burnt.

Behind him the safeties are horrible. I'd give anything to have Eric Brown and Matt Stevens back. Yes I know Matt's in a wheelchair now. I'm reasonably certain he could still tackle better than this bunch however.

We need safeties bad.

Overall I'm pleased with the linebackers. Best bunch we've ever had. I'm not upset about the linemen as much as I probably should be apart from Okoye. That guy is like a slightly smaller Anthony Weaver in the middle of the line. Like we needed more of that.
Old 09-28-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Fred Bennett is a major problem in coverage and run support. It's like a curl route is the newest offensive innovation and FB just can't see it coming. I see it coming. Every 3rd down. Like a gigantic battle red bullseye on the corner formerly known as "Fred Bennett".

Amobi was actually getting his name called yesterday. Even if it's only 2 or 3 plays a game, that's two or three more than he WAS making.

Safety continues to be a joke and IMO, largely the reason why any strength perceived on paper with this defense will be canceled out unless individual efforts pull it through.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We might.

Seriously, Fred Bennett IS the new Petey Faggins. He's actually become a combination of Petey and P-Burnt. He covers like Petey and tackles like P-Burnt.

He's Petey-Burnt.

Behind him the safeties are horrible. I'd give anything to have Eric Brown and Matt Stevens back. Yes I know Matt's in a wheelchair now. I'm reasonably certain he could still tackle better than this bunch however.

We need safeties bad.

Overall I'm pleased with the linebackers. Best bunch we've ever had. I'm not upset about the linemen as much as I probably should be apart from Okoye. That guy is like a slightly smaller Anthony Weaver in the middle of the line. Like we needed more of that.
Agreed! I've been harping on Bennett for a while now. The dude just sucks at everything he does back there. The way he's played so far this season isn't even worthy of a nickel or dime DB.

Several people were wanting Busing to start. Well, he started....and he sucked just as bad. Ain't nothing worse than a guy that's supposed to be an "in the box" type safety, but can't tackle.

*Sigh* This defense is probably the worst in franchise history. It's a sad day in America when you've got "1st rounders" peppered throughout the defense......and they still suck.
Old 09-28-2009   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as Bennett is Faggins I saw a long in the tooth Tory Holt make a few moves during patterns that had Dunta lost.
Old 09-28-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're gonna have to pay the picks and move up for one of those power safeties. Well, if we don't learn to tackle maybe not...
Old 09-28-2009   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
We're gonna have to pay the picks and move up for one of those power safeties. Well, if we don't learn to tackle maybe not...
The Texans are on pace to be right there where they need to be to get one. And if it gets any worse we may have to trade down to get one.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read