Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Personnel or coaching? Chicken or the egg?

What's the problem with this team? Is it the lack of a DT who can hold the LOS or a SS that can tackle? Or is it poor coaching decisions? Why does Steve Slaton only get 12 carries in a close game when he averages 6 yards a carry. You go into pass mode like the run wasn't going anywhere and let Schaub take unnecessary punishment.

It seems like the lack of a DT/SS personnel wise is holding the defense back. If Kubiak wants to save his job he's gonna have to trade a high draft choice to get an NFL starter to take over one of those positions or else its gonna mean we need to score 30+ points to win a game this year which is a recipe for yet another mediocre season.

Coaching wise we still have inconsistency across the board and head scratching play calls throughout. We had absolutely no answer for Del Rio's misdirection WR reverse/RB handoff/QB keeper plays they ran repeatedly and did I mention we unnecessarily let our QB take too much punishment when we could've ran the ball with success in a close game?

This team is the Jekyll and Hyde of the NFL, that mainly falls on the coaching staff. But they also dont have NFL talent at DT or SS which is why teams can notch 200+ rushing yards on us routinely and that falls at Rick Smith's feet for not supplying us with the proper talent at those positions. You tried to hit on Amobi and thus far have failed but at SS and with the rest of the DTs you rely on either street FAs or late round picks. That tells me we severely undervalue two positions that have proven to be extremely important to winning championships.

This aint late 90s Denver and we dont have an Alex Gibbs equivalent coaching defense. You cant take anyone and put them in at DT or SS and expect them to be studs like you could with RBs back in your heyday Houston Broncos coaches and FO!!!
Old 09-27-2009   #2
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Personnel or coaching? Chicken or the egg?

I think it is a combination of both. I know that's the easy way out, but I don't think a coaching change by itself would make the ultimate difference and I don't think replacing a couple of weak links would push us over the top.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

The answer, of course, is it's both. The problem is both coaching and personnel.

Having said that, I think a really solid defensive coordinator could make something respectable of the talent the Texans already have.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The answer, of course, is it's both. The problem is both coaching and personnel.

Having said that, I think a really solid defensive coordinator could make something respectable of the talent the Texans already have.
So you mean if we actually hired a bonafide NFL DC and paid him top dollar we'd see a real defense? That sounds very similar to what a similar style team did in the offseason...they're 3-0

For those who dont get the reference i'm talking about last year's all offense no defense 8-8 team the New Orleans Saints who are now 3-0 and look great.
Old 09-27-2009   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

This defense needs talent. The Texans knew this defense needed a lot and in the draft they draft 2 TE's. I still don't understand that and I never will either.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
So you mean if we actually hired a bonafide NFL DC and paid him top dollar we'd see a real defense? That sounds very similar to what a similar style team did in the offseason...they're 3-0

For those who dont get the reference i'm talking about last year's all offense no defense 8-8 team the New Orleans Saints who are now 3-0 and look great.
I hear you. I got the reference. And it sort of makes me sick that Gregg Williams was there for the taking and the Texans promoted an assistant from their own crappy defensive staff.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #7
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I hear you. I got the reference. And it sort of makes me sick that Gregg Williams was there for the taking and the Texans promoted an assistant from their own crappy defensive staff.
Kubiak doesn't seem to be willing to go off his myspace friends list for a coach. I guess Koller would count, but all the others seem to be guys he played with or coached with or coached.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2009   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kinda helps when your offense drops damn near 50 every game. Besides, Greg Williams was Jax's D-coordinator last year & jax on defense was garbage. Having said that, i guess you know what side i fall on. It's personnel, it just has to be. The signs are obvious.

you're expecting run so you call a play that packs the box with 8-10 guys and you still can't stop it....

Guys missing tackles left and right....

Blitzing all kind of ways..........and still not getting good pressure....

Do i even have to mention the musical chairs in the secondary?

guys who would be special teamers elsewhere are getting signifcant time playing with us.

This has been the case through 2 defensive coordinators so far and 1 guy who, league wide is thought to be one of the better defensive minds in the game (Capers) & we still can't get it right. We've drafted horribly on that side of the ball with the exception of a couple of guys and every FA we've brought in hasn't worked out.

Last edited by Mr teX; 09-27-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #9
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Saints D looks great with pretty much Jenkins as their best player in the secondary and the Saints LB's aren't as good as the Texans. The Saints have a good front four.
Old 09-27-2009   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08
This defense needs talent. The Texans knew this defense needed a lot and in the draft they draft 2 TE's. I still don't understand that and I never will either.
Talent and coaching, IMO.

I think the term Smithiak is turning from an "in Kubes we trust" euphemism to a one word sarcastic summary.
Old 09-28-2009   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Kinda helps when your offense drops damn near 50 every game. Besides, Greg Williams was Jax's D-coordinator last year & jax on defense was garbage.
The Saints have the 11th ranked defense (which would've been more than enough here) and they've been making plays all season so far...(they pretty much shut down Buffalo and TO today).....it's not just the high powered offense. Our offense might drop damn near 50 points a game if they got the ball back more often.

Also Gregg Williams gets a pass in Jax. He was only there for 1 season, the team's chemistry was in the dumpster, and since they have a defensive head coach, I question how much of the defense JDR actually let Williams control.

Williams is a PROVEN defensive coach, who has had great defensive success elsewhere....to not even give a guy like that a interview (or interview ANYBODY) was completely stupid by Kubiak and the FO.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-28-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #12
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I can only assume that the FO expects Daniels to walk and not pay him, so they drafted Casey to take his place. Hill was drafted to block in the RZ since the Texans sucked so bad in the RZ last year in rushing TD's
Old 09-28-2009   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Answer. A coaching staff that doesn't know how to get proper personnel.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #14
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Answer. A coaching staff that doesn't know how to get proper personnel.
Since Smith was a DB and a DB coach he seems to think that he can find those amazing gems for the secondary in the later rounds.
Old 09-28-2009   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Blaming the problems on defense on the fact that we didn't hire a "a bonafide NFL DC" is not only the easy way out, it is the cheap 'looking for the quick-fix way' out.

I know there is a strong group here that is collectively pissed off that they hired Frank Bush, so I realize that anytime that they lose a game, the same song with the "they didn't hire an experienced DC, so that's why they lost" lyrics will played over and over like a record with a scratch in it.

Yes, it's up to the coaches to get the players ready to play, and it's up to the coaches to select the right players.

But once that is done, it's up to the players to perform. Yes, there is talent on the team. But those players who do have the talent are young, raw, and inexperienced. Missed tackles combined with missed assignments?

Anyone who wants to lay this all on coaching, and not hold players accountable, is of the mindset of "well, you can't fire the players, and coaches are the only ones that can be fired, so let's fire them, so we can all feel better".

That's just the way I see it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

hmmm

- we are still soft in the middle IMO in the D line Amobi & cody are just not getting it done

- Antinto Smith is SLighty Better then Weaver :P Mario cant do it by himself Casey is still just a rookie and Bullman is up and down

-Our secondary Vets and rookies are not getting it done i can name off the list Mcain Quinn Bushing WIlson Barber BENNENT and even Dunta are all playing ZONE and leaving a cushion and not playing smart football

Our linebackers are FINE IMO ... and thats pretty much sums up our D talnted on paper not getting it done on the field
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

To put it in another perspective about personnel, we're only considered strong in one area on defense which is at Lb. we absolutely stink as far as talent everywhere else.. 1.5 of our guys on the d-line are considered good & .5 in the secondary. That's pathetic.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's both.

What I keep coming back to is that the coaches had enough time to improve the personnel. Not addressing DT and the two safety spots this past offseason is the latest example. So, even though some of it is personnel it still reflects poorly on the coaches/GM. People may say that the GM is the one that makes all those decisions but I don't see it that way. If your a coach and you need a position or two or three upgraded to be successful you need to make yourself heard.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

It's also on the coaches to develop talent........something we've done a HORRIBLE job at over the years. Not every team spends 1st rounders every single year on defense. Good defensive teams develop talent......when's the last time you heard of a player that we drafted late who actually turned into something? (we have plenty on the offensive side of the ball)....there's Diles annnnd that's about it. That's the reason why you can't just give the coaches a pass and say "well the talent wasn't very good" yada yada yada.

The correct answer is both, but I'm leaning more towards coaching at the moment. When you're making the same stupid mistakes week after week after week and you just look flat out unprepared........that's coaching.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

and u would think our O would stink since we rarely ad anything to it

Capers era our O sucked and D was average

Kubes era our O is Great and our D right now is Below Average

What cant we have both
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read