Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What does "playing with fire" or "have no heart" mean?

I see these phrases every week when the Texans lose a game. What is with these phrases "playing with fire" and "have no heart".

Does it just mean that they are playing with fire if they win, but if they lose, then they have no heart? It's as if when they win, they actually care, but if they lose, they don't really care??

I can totally understand, and share the frustration with this team losing the way it does.

But these phrases are just dumb.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #2
StevieWonder
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 StevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performerStevieWonder is a Legendary performer
Default Re: What does "playing with fire" or "have no heart" mean?

The Texans need to be more physical and athletic so they can win more football games in the National Football League. You can't win games if you do not have physicality. Experience coaching heart guts

I think that sums it up
StevieWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We were in the endzone, the refs called TD. It was called back by a offensive pass interference.

We were on the goal line, and we fumbled the ball.... trying our ass off to get into the endzone.

That's two things that would have changed the out come of this game, had they gone differently. & if they had, no one would be questioning the heart & fire inside our guys.

I honestly think "heart" & "fire" are words casual fans pick up on, and use it when they can't explain why a team won, or lost.
Old 09-27-2009   #4
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about starting with the coach showing emotion? Like he gives a damn?

He's like a statue out there no matter whats going on good or bad just the same blank stare.

It's Art Shell like. Which is very bad.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Week one: no heart.

Week two: playing with fire and passion.

Week three: Neither. Just weaker than the opponent.
Old 09-27-2009   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We were in the endzone, the refs called TD. It was called back by a offensive pass interference.

We were on the goal line, and we fumbled the ball.... trying our ass off to get into the endzone.

That's two things that would have changed the out come of this game, had they gone differently. & if they had, no one would be questioning the heart & fire inside our guys.

I honestly think "heart" & "fire" are words casual fans pick up on, and use it when they can't explain why a team won, or lost.
Who's talking about "heart and toughness", I'm talking about "softness" and win or lose.......we've played with it all year so far. Other NFL coaches are even calling us soft......or they're just drawing up gameplans like we're soft as shit so what's the difference.

Some of y'all can keep your heads in the sand and act like this isn't a issue, but it is. This team is SOFT....finesse..or what ever the hell word you want to use to describe it, it's all the same.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bingo. You nailed it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Who's talking about "heart and toughness", I'm talking about "softness" and win or lose.......we've played with it all year so far.
Who said anything about you?
Old 09-27-2009   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who said anything about you?
Nobody, but this thread is about "things people call the team", so I through some stuff out there.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

is what I can best think of with this team .. lots of movement but not going anywhere (so far)

when a team "plays with fire" (emotion)to me means when things aren't going good, the team captains (or someone) comes in and fires them up gets them focused. I know some leaders aren't vocal.

when teams play with "no heart" means when things get going rough, you don't see any urgency and everyone is nonchalant about things

it is all in P.O.V. of course

I don't see this as a team that is playing without heart.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #11
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL.....the beauty of the internet......

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I see these phrases every week when the Texans lose a game. What is with these phrases "playing with fire" and "have no heart".

Does it just mean that they are playing with fire if they win, but if they lose, then they have no heart? It's as if when they win, they actually care, but if they lose, they don't really care??

I can totally understand, and share the frustration with this team losing the way it does.

But these phrases are just dumb.
I don't know exactly. Let me pick up my Webster's Dictionary and look up "Houston Texans" and I'll get right back to you on those definitions.
Old 09-27-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we had heart and fire the jags just had more i would 2 the jags were at risk of going 0-3 they will prob playing like there life depended on it and u seen it when they got two injured players on there attempted goaline stand in the end of the 2nd ... we still scored anywayz :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think "heart" and "fire" are just metaphors. Coaches and commentators have used them for years, so fans have picked up on the lingo. Both are descriptive of the mental state, as in "playing with fire" is seeing a team focused and passionate, while "having no heart" refers to a half-assed game when players are making mistakes and generally not in it.

I think it is obvious what these terms mean with regards to sports, but when a team consistently fails, the anguish of fans starts to turn inward on each other.
Old 09-27-2009   #15
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

It's sugar coating for the phrase, "Boy we stunk it up out there today"
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #16
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing with fire can mean taking a big risk. As in when you all out blitz with no secondary to shut down the big play, you are playing with fire. Another example: leaving Chris Johnson uncovered. You are playing with fire and asking to get burned.

I know that isn't what you mean. Just saying.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read