Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2009   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Steve Slaton

It was good to see Slaton get some room today, because I was finally able to see what I really wanted to find out - he's lost a step. There were at least two runs today where he would have been off to the races last season, but today they were just solid gainers. I don't know what you blame that on, but he's not as explosive as he was last season. Last year, it seemed he could go zero-to-full speed in a split second, and this year there doesn't seem to be a top gear.
Old 09-27-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Steve Slaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It was good to see Slaton get some room today, because I was finally able to see what I really wanted to find out - he's lost a step. There were at least two runs today where he would have been off to the races last season, but today they were just solid gainers. I don't know what you blame that on, but he's not as explosive as he was last season. Last year, it seemed he could go zero-to-full speed in a split second, and this year there doesn't seem to be a top gear.
I don't agree at all. A couple of those runs and one of the screen passes showed me he hasn't lost a step at all. On the running plays that he actually turned into something, he wasn't even given an opportunity to break away because he was too busy trying to juke and stiff arm the defenders.

I am as worried about Steve as anybody, especially since he is on my fantasy team, but after today, I do not think he has lost a step. I truly believe the problem has been two great defenses and some awful run blocking.
Old 09-27-2009   #3
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. It was good to see SOMETHING from Slaton. He made great cuts and showed the explosiveness. Hope it continues. Although I'd like to see 2-3 carries for Ryan Moats, SS and Chris Brown make a decent duo (When CB doesn't fumble at the GOAL LINE!!!!!!!!!!!)
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton should have gotten the ball on that last drive. He was running the ball very well and was feeling it. Chris Brown hasn't done anything with his carries all season. He was stuffed in the first half when they tried to feed him the ball. He is no better than Slaton is in short yardage right now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve is fine, i just don't think we're a good run blocking team....on the left side anyway.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #6
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Steve is fine, i just don't think we're a good run blocking team....on the left side anyway.
Agree completely. I do think Studdard is a better run blocker than Pitts though which probably helped Steve out today.
Old 09-27-2009   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Slaton should have gotten the ball on that last drive. He was running the ball very well and was feeling it. Chris Brown hasn't done anything with his carries all season. He was stuffed in the first half when they tried to feed him the ball. He is no better than Slaton is in short yardage right now.
I'm no sure what you're referring to, but the only time they tried to "feed" him the ball, where he got multiple carries in one series, was the series right before the half, as shown below. I thought he ran pretty hard and did a good job. That doesn't mean you couldn't make a case for Slaton, but I think you're unfairly discounting Chris Brown's contributions. He's not going to get the latitude that Slaton gets, because he hasn't earned it, so that fumble is going to cost him more playing time than Slaton's three fumbles have cost him, but it's not like Steve hasn't fumbled in critical spots.

Quote:
# 1-10-HOU 49 (3:02) 22-C.Brown up the middle to JAX 47 for 4 yards (56-J.Durant, 91-D.Harvey).
# 2-6-JAC 47 (2:26) 8-M.Schaub pass deep right to 80-A.Johnson pushed ob at JAX 25 for 22 yards (25-R.Nelson).
# Two-Minute Warning
# 1-10-JAC 25 (2:00) 22-C.Brown right guard to JAX 20 for 5 yards (98-J.Henderson).
# 2-5-JAC 20 (1:23) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short middle to 80-A.Johnson (52-D.Smith).
# 3-5-JAC 20 (1:17) 8-M.Schaub pass short right to 81-O.Daniels to JAX 16 for 4 yards (42-G.Alexander).
# Timeout #1 by JAX at 01:07.
# 4-1-JAC 16 (1:07) 83-K.Walter left end to JAX 5 for 11 yards (52-D.Smith; 26-B.Russell). JAX-96-T.Knighton was injured during the play.
# Timeout #2 by JAX at 00:50.
# 1-5-JAC 5 (:50) 22-C.Brown right guard to JAX 1 for 4 yards (95-M.Stanley).
# Timeout #1 by HST at 00:29.
# 2-1-JAC 1 (:29) 22-C.Brown left guard to JAX 2 for -1 yards (54-Q.Groves, 98-J.Henderson).
# Timeout #2 by HST at 00:29.
# Timeout #3 by JAX at 00:23.
# 3-2-JAC 2 (:23) 8-M.Schaub pass short middle to 81-O.Daniels for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
So he took it from the 5 to the 1 and then got stuffed at the 1. We've seen that numerous times from Slaton.

Anyway, that wasn't really the point of the thread. I'll post a couple plays that I'm talking about a bit later. I just don't think he has the explosiveness he had last year. And I know for sure on at least one of those plays, a guy like MJD, CJohnson, or AP would have been gone.
Old 09-27-2009   #8
Ckw

Quote:
Anyway, that wasn't really the point of the thread. I'll post a couple plays that I'm talking about a bit later. I just don't think he has the explosiveness he had last year. And I know for sure on at least one of those plays, a guy like MJD, CJohnson, or AP would have been gone.
Steve has always been a step slower than those guys. In fact, most everyone in the league is slower than the guys you named.
Old 09-27-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm no sure what you're referring to, but the only time they tried to "feed" him the ball, where he got multiple carries in one series, was the series right before the half, as shown below. I thought he ran pretty hard and did a good job. That doesn't mean you couldn't make a case for Slaton, but I think you're unfairly discounting Chris Brown's contributions. He's not going to get the latitude that Slaton gets, because he hasn't earned it, so that fumble is going to cost him more playing time than Slaton's three fumbles have cost him, but it's not like Steve hasn't fumbled in critical spots.

So he took it from the 5 to the 1 and then got stuffed at the 1. We've seen that numerous times from Slaton.

I was referring to the play where he was like on the one yard line and got stuffed. He didn't get a good push or anything, but he still wasn't able to get the TD either. I know that he was supposed to be our GL back this season and I've never thought it was a bad idea or anything since he's more of a bruiser and all, but he hasn't done shit for us. He hasn't converted any nice carries or anything to feel confident about. Then he just gave the game away now.

Slaton was starting to really feel it today. I think we should have fed him the ball some more once he started getting those nice runs here and there and showed some confidence in him again. When we got up close to the line, I think Slaton could have gotten it in there probably, since he was hitting the holes nicely. At this point, I don't think that Brown has proven that he's any better of a short yardage back or inside the 5 back than Slaton is.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read