Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-25-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade Deadline

Is fast approaching, October 14th, should the Texans be proactive & address need via this route? Who is expendable or worth enough besides draft picks to aquire the neccessary player who upgrades Texans roster?

my choice would be Marshawn Lynch, RB Buffalo. Last year they traded LT Jason Peters for a #1. They are rebuilding. They have a capable, productive starting RB in Fred Jackson, now they're wondering what to do with Lynch when he returns next week?

Check this out: in 2007 the Texans drafted Amobi Okoye #10, San Fran drafted Willis #11, Buffalo drafted Lynch #12 & Jets drafted Revis #14.

I would be willing to swap any of these players for Amobi of those players/teams only Buffalo might be a possiblity or next years #1 from the Texans might work? As Nike says "Just Do It"
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Deadline

Lynch is a good player but I wouldn't trade our #1 or #2 at all, these are the future longterm building blocks of our team. Now I might package some players along with some lower picks in order to cut payroll and add some extra 1st-3rd round draft picks. Andre Davis, Jacoby Jones, Chaun Thompson, Owen Daniels, Glover Quin, Antwaun Molden, Rex Grossman, Dan Orlovsky, and many others would be trade bait.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Only enticing trade bait I think we have would be Dunta (doubt we'd move him but with Reeves returning I wouldn't be opposed to getting something for him before he leaves town next season) and Jacoby (He's shown that he can be a playmaker, i'd like to keep him around because I think he can develop as a damn fine deep threat for us if we take him off PR and let him focus 100% on WR but I would move him if we could shore up a position of need).

Marshawn Lynch would be a nice complement with Slaton but his off field history would disqualify him from consideration imo.
Old 09-25-2009   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Marshawn Lynch would be a nice complement with Slaton but his off field history would disqualify him from consideration imo.
this is the very reason he could be available, otherwise forget about it. It is an opportunity to seize the moment so to speak & jump forward hopefully into the playoffs. Ballsy move but then
Old 09-25-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only enticing trade bait I think we have would be Dunta (doubt we'd move him but with Reeves returning I wouldn't be opposed to getting something for him before he leaves town next season) and Jacoby (He's shown that he can be a playmaker, i'd like to keep him around because I think he can develop as a damn fine deep threat for us if we take him off PR and let him focus 100% on WR but I would move him if we could shore up a position of need).

It was nice to see the FO make a move for help at safety. Only way I'd make a big move if I was Rick is if I saw something that would help this team out a lot in a short period of time that we'd have a good shot of keeping around.

We could use help on the interior of the line and I woudln't be opposed to help at DT.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Is fast approaching, October 14th, should the Texans be proactive & address need via this route? Who is expendable or worth enough besides draft picks to aquire the neccessary player who upgrades Texans roster?

my choice would be Marshawn Lynch, RB Buffalo. Last year they traded LT Jason Peters for a #1. They are rebuilding. They have a capable, productive starting RB in Fred Jackson, now they're wondering what to do with Lynch when he returns next week?

Check this out: in 2007 the Texans drafted Amobi Okoye #10, San Fran drafted Willis #11, Buffalo drafted Lynch #12 & Jets drafted Revis #14.

I would be willing to swap any of these players for Amobi of those players/teams only Buffalo might be a possiblity or next years #1 from the Texans might work? As Nike says "Just Do It"
What makes you say they are rebuilding?
Old 09-25-2009   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. He is 1 strike away from a year off, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-26-2009   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
What makes you say they are rebuilding?
Dick Jauron was hired 3 days before Gary Kubiak to become Bills head coach. define rebuilding? to me its revamping the buisness of football, changing mind sets as well as coaches/players to achieve a winning trademark usually signified w/post season success. I've heard the arguement how can you rebuild something thats never been built (regarding Texans) but the fact is they where built, just ask Bob McNair & not very well so yes I consider the Texans in rebuild mode at least until they succeed in the playoffs. An example would be Bills overhualing the OL using a player with one year expereince @ LT (Demetrius Bell) who had no experience last season playing behind Peters they draft two 1st day of 09 draft (Eric Wood starting RG & Andy Levitre LG) & remember UT Jonathan Scott? well its only his 3rd season & he was picked up in the offseason. That's a major rebuilding project in one year the trenches are your building blocks for future success. The Texans invested heavily on DL spending big bucks in FA to aquire Antonio Smith & 2nd rd. DE Connor Barwin, not to mention LB Brian Cushing to have their back. Not as big of rebuilding project but throw in a new DC & it starts to parallel quite nicely.

Back on subject, Marshawn Lynch, because I bought into the Denver system "never spends high pick on RB theory" never considered him seriously as a Texans draft pick. I was very happy draft day, 2007 the Texans made Amobi Okoye a Texans with the 10th pick overall but now it sure would have been nice to have drafted Lynch #12 or Revis #14 (don't mention Willis #11 Ole Miss Texan).

Not the case in Basketball or Baseball but NFL where the trade deadline comes & goes minimal movement. Is the playbook & integral team framework that much more advanced than these other leagues making it too difficult to reap benefits in the current season? Maybe in this offensive or defensive line but not so much as a RB they should actually adapt pretty darn quick

Anyway this thread was intended for Texans fans to exercise their trade ideas, if any? meanwhile I'll keep a close eye on events around the league & how the Bills respond in the next couple weeks.
Old 09-28-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

After another defensive meltdown it's time to search for a premium difference maker who can help solve a horrific run defense. So here is my choice for the Texans to pick up the phone & make a call to New England for Vince Wilfork.

Quote:
Aug. 1 1:52 PM PT2:52 PM MT3:52 PM CT4:52 PM ET9:52 PM GMT5:52 AM -Wilfork said Saturday he won't let his contract dispute with the Patriots affect his play on the field.
Analysis: Wilfork, in the last year of a six-year contract he signed as a first-round draft pick out of Miami in 2004, said his future with the Patriots is ``out of my control,'' referring to off-field negotiations. He and his agent, Kennard McGuire, are upset that negotiations on a contract extension have been fruitless. Players drafted in Wilfork's position - 21st in the first round - are no longer allowed to sign contracts longer than five years.
Time is ticking, this defense needs an immediate shot in the arm. Wilfork is a proven commodity he can solidify the middle & require double teams keeping bodies off other linemen & LB's. The probability is low of this happening but I'm throwing it out there for dicussion. I'm grasping for answers, looking for a different path to improve this team/season before its too late. Nobody loves or follows the draft more than me but I'm just not ready to get all into that just yet, I hope the Texans have a trick or two up there sleeves, I'm pulling for them & addressing need via a significant trade now before the trade deadline passes may be our next best option.
Old 09-28-2009   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there anybody out there that might improve our safety situation? I think on defense our needs are pretty clear. We need to get a real safety (or two) back there and we need to find a way to get Fred Bennett off the field. He's the new Petey Faggins. Since Reeves is due to return at some point in the near future I imagine the "Fred Bennet Situation" will resolve itself. That leaves us with some worthless safeties to manage our way around.

That and I can't help but think that the DT situation would improve greatly with Robinson on the field. I wouldn't at all be unhappy with the aquisition of Wilfork though. It's not like it would hurt.
Old 09-28-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Is there anybody out there that might improve our safety situation? I think on defense our needs are pretty clear. We need to get a real safety (or two) back there and we need to find a way to get Fred Bennett off the field. He's the new Petey Faggins. Since Reeves is due to return at some point in the near future I imagine the "Fred Bennet Situation" will resolve itself. That leaves us with some worthless safeties to manage our way around.

That and I can't help but think that the DT situation would improve greatly with Robinson on the field. I wouldn't at all be unhappy with the aquisition of Wilfork though. It's not like it would hurt.
Or Casey Hampton. He'll clog the middle.
Old 09-28-2009   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Dick Jauron was hired 3 days before Gary Kubiak to become Bills head coach. define rebuilding? to me its revamping the buisness of football, changing mind sets as well as coaches/players to achieve a winning trademark usually signified w/post season success.
To me, rebuilding means that you've recognized and acknowledged that you're going nowhere with the current roster, and it's time to leverage the assets you've got and look to the future. It's pretty much the opposite of the "Win Now" approach.

I don't think anybody came into the 2009 season for either the Bills or the Texans thinking they were a rebuilding team, or shouldn't be a win-now team (I know Jauron and Kubiak didn't). Rebuilding teams don't sign T.O. to one year deals.

One of the problems with a trade deadline that occurs five weeks into the season is that virtually nobody is going to concede the current season and trade proven assets for younger players with potential. Another problem is with the salary cap and the mindset of the NFL, even mildly significant in-season trades are few and far between in the NFL.
Old 09-28-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
To me, rebuilding means that you've recognized and acknowledged that you're going nowhere with the current roster, and it's time to leverage the assets you've got and look to the future. It's pretty much the opposite of the "Win Now" approach.

I don't think anybody came into the 2009 season for either the Bills or the Texans thinking they were a rebuilding team, or shouldn't be a win-now team (I know Jauron and Kubiak didn't). Rebuilding teams don't sign T.O. to one year deals.

One of the problems with a trade deadline that occurs five weeks into the season is that virtually nobody is going to concede the current season and trade proven assets for younger players with potential. Another problem is with the salary cap and the mindset of the NFL, even mildly significant in-season trades are few and far between in the NFL.
I have no problem with your viewpoint, very good post. But you don't have to be in "Win Now" or "Re-Building" mode to improve your team by any means necessary. Before Jacksonville this is what Kubiak was quoted as saying,
Quote:
“Well, that’s the truth,” Kubiak said. “You don’t last long in this league being .500. We started from scratch a few years ago. We’ve made some strides but obviously not the strides that everybody wants to make and that includes me, but I like the challenge. That’s why I coach.”
Call it whatever makes you twirl but this sounds more like a process yet to be signed off on, after this Sunday I'm sure about that.
Old 10-08-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

as deadline approaches there is some movement, here is a Lombardi re-cap with some trade possiblities - http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...e-Peppers.html he does mention Texans Dunta Robinson.
Old 10-08-2009   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I know we are all are po'ed at Dunta but he's played well for us this year so far. RIGHT NOW, trading Dunta doesn't help our secondary and their inability to cover or tackle and Dunta is the best one we got.

Plus, right now the team has a pretty bad perception of the FO. That it doesn't matter what you do, they aren't going to pay you. Getting rid of Dunta, RIGHT NOW, only emphasizes that point and could cause some locker room problems.

What would we get for Dunta that would make our team better?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009   #16
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

The Chargers could be willing to trade Shawn Merriman with anyone before the weeks over, after the verbal sparing that's going on with him and the GM........
Old 10-14-2009   #17
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

If I am Kubiak i'm doing something to bring in another playmaker on defense.

Because it's obvious to me at least, this team doesn't have enough talent on defense to consistently compete.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
The Chargers could be willing to trade Shawn Merriman with anyone before the weeks over, after the verbal sparing that's going on with him and the GM........
Don't think our LBers are the problem. Could we put Merriman on the DL or secondary?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
If I am Kubiak i'm doing something to bring in another playmaker on defense.

Because it's obvious to me at least, this team doesn't have enough talent on defense to consistently compete.
I'd put a deal together for Asomugha CB for Oakland. On another thread I suggested DR, Okoye and Conner Barwin for ASO & DT Gerrard Warren a 31 yoa 6'4" 330 run stopper. DR is one year younger & could get a long term deal with Davis who would save a few bucks for his #1 pick next draft Suh. This would be win-win for both teams.
Old 10-16-2009   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

talks of Miami trading for Josh Cribbs. sounds good to me.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read