Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AFC south QBs ratings - with and with out pressure

Quote:
This week’s conclusion from these numbers: Blitz Matt Schaub.

Passing versus standard pressure (average 84.4 passer rating):

1) Matt Schaub, 126.6

4) Peyton Manning, 115.4

13) Kerry Collins, 91.5

29) David Garrard, 68.4

Passing versus added pressure (average 84.4):

10) Manning, 100.5

20) Garrard, 84.5

24) Collins 76.2

32) Schaub, 61.3

Passing 11-20 yards downfield:

2) Schaub, 155.8

5) Manning, 110.7

11) Garrard, 101.5

19) Collins, 77.9

Passing 21-30 yards downfield:

7) Manning, 199.4 119.4

9) Schaub, 95.8

22) Garrard, 54.9

30) Collins, 35.0

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...erback-numbers
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC south QBs ratings - with and with out pressure

So, basically if we keep the pressure off of Matt he is an excellent QB. Gee, how did we not pick up on that.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #3
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

And for this Kaharsky gets the big bucks?
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #4
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

How does Garrard get better with pressure?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Successful screen passes called on blitzes.

And, the stats reflect bringing more people to get pressure. It doesn't actually define whether there is/isn't pressure on the QB on those plays.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

fire schaub!! err wait ... when we protect him we have the best qb in the league? the biggest difference from game 1 to game 2 that i saw was that against the titans kubiak had his playchart out and was always talking into the mic. i said it after the jets game about spreading the offense (i really need to learn how to "name" a link - the thread is "offense & schaub"), including emptying our backfield as kubiak has a tendancy to do when the run game isnt working. we did that against the titans, not so much for the result, but to add looks and doubt the blitz as opposed to game 1's mirror of a dom capers offense - "they're blitzing so add more blockers" (encouraging heavier blitzing). you cant blitz 8 against a 4 receiver set and you dang sure cant dial something excessive up when the back motions wide - a hot slant ends up being a 40 yard touchdown.

it's very likely that i'm talking out of my ass, but in game 1 i saw kyle and in game 2 i saw kubiak. lil shanny despite being a great student of the game is not and will not be remotely near kubiak's level in the near future. kubes is approaching a fall into a similar dom capers trap by giving his strength up for another coach to fail at. against kyle, kubiak has game experience, championship experience, and nearly two decades experience under his belt as an offensive coach ... there is absolutely no reason for anyone but kubiak to be calling the plays. again i may be missing by a mile but i saw more kubiak against the titans than i did kyle which is a key component to schaub's success.
Old 09-25-2009   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
same as we saw last season, you cant attack a mobile quarterback the same as a traditional drop back passer. defenses are hesitant to adjust their approach for a quarterback, so garrard moves through lanes as a draw play would and is able to escape standard pressure giving himself an extra second or two to find the safe throw. as a result, defending a mobile quarterback requires more gap control and slows down the pass rush, giving that fraction of a second to find an open man.
Old 09-25-2009   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

According to those AFC South QB ratings, this is the best rating Vince Young has ever achieved.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
fire schaub!! err wait ... when we protect him we have the best qb in the league?
This makes no sense to me. They're all pretty good in this league, when there is no pressure. They get paid to deal with adversity.. they get paid for their ability to manage risk.

At least that's the way I see it.

The guys on the other side of the ball get paid pretty good to.

There are some of them, that get paid for doing nothing other than putting pressure on the QB.

There isn't a defensive coordinator in this league that goes into the game thinking, "I think I'll let the QB sit back there all day today.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Mark Sanchez..... they all have to deal with pressure through the course of the season.

& if the Texans want their QB sitting pretty every second of every snap, of every game, they should have used 1st & 2nd round picks on OL for the last three years. Since they didn't, it's apparent to me, that they expect their QB to better than the worse QB in the AFC South (a division known for getting after the QB).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the biggest difference from game 1 to game 2 that i saw was that against the titans kubiak had his playchart out and was always talking into the mic.

it's very likely that i'm talking out of my ass, but in game 1 i saw kyle and in game 2 i saw kubiak.
I saw it differently. Against the Titans, it looked like we opened up the offense, the way we did when Shanny took over last season.

Against the Jets, we looked pretty conservative, the way Kubiak called the games for the previous two years.

That, and Cotton was definitely more familiar with the Titans than he was with the Jets.
Old 09-25-2009   #10
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This makes no sense to me. They're all pretty good in this league, when there is no pressure. They get paid to deal with adversity.. they get paid for their ability to manage risk.

At least that's the way I see it.

The guys on the other side of the ball get paid pretty good to.

There are some of them, that get paid for doing nothing other than putting pressure on the QB.

There isn't a defensive coordinator in this league that goes into the game thinking, "I think I'll let the QB sit back there all day today.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Mark Sanchez..... they all have to deal with pressure through the course of the season.

& if the Texans want their QB sitting pretty every second of every snap, of every game, they should have used 1st & 2nd round picks on OL for the last three years. Since they didn't, it's apparent to me, that they expect their QB to better than the worse QB in the AFC South (a division known for getting after the QB).

I saw it differently. Against the Titans, it looked like we opened up the offense, the way we did when Shanny took over last season.

Against the Jets, we looked pretty conservative, the way Kubiak called the games for the previous two years.

That, and Cotton was definitely more familiar with the Titans than he was with the Jets.
It's all about sample size. Last year, Schaub was the #5 QB in the league against the blitz (per the espn stats). But he had a terrible opening game this year against a suddenly blitz-happy team that is now the darling of the early season. Bad games happen, even to good players. Look at Schaub's blitz-stats now the way you would a good pitcher who got lit up on opening day: they're going to look a little funky for awhile.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
It's all about sample size. Last year, Schaub was the #5 QB in the league against the blitz (per the espn stats). But he had a terrible opening game this year against a suddenly blitz-happy team that is now the darling of the early season. Bad games happen, even to good players. Look at Schaub's blitz-stats now the way you would a good pitcher who got lit up on opening day: they're going to look a little funky for awhile.
And Rex Ryan knows how to ******* you up. He does that to everyone.
Old 09-25-2009   #12
Scooter
Funky

edit.

Last edited by Scooter; 09-26-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read