Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2009   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why don't we use the pass to set up the run?

I understand this in contrary to Kubiaks beliefs because, "using the run to set up the pass" is his battle cry. Through all of my frustration in our first 5 quarters of football this season, I have wondered (often aloud) why can't we be a pass first offence? New Orleans does it with some success. I'm not suggesting we model our game after New Orleans. I'm merely saying:

1. We have more weapons in our passing game.

2. If we can force opposing defenses away from the line, the running lanes will open for Slaton.

3. Based on our run defense so far, I'd rather see teams like the Jags being forced to play the catch-up game instead of feeding MJD down our throats all day.

Obviously we looked terrible we were forced to do this in the 2nd half of the Jets game, because it was obvious we had to pass to get into the game, but while playing catch-up against Tacks, I though our passing game proved strong enough to carry the load.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-24-2009   #2
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why don't we use the pass to set up the run?

It's all fine and great to use the pass to set up the run in a West coast style of offense with short dink and dunk passes, but play-action is our bread and butter, and if we don't run then our play-action is much less effective. This can be evidenced by Andre's 72 yard touchdown this past week, even though our run wasn't doing much, the safety (Griffin) still had to respect the run and it cost them.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #3
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Play Action Pass
Old 09-24-2009   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
I understand this in contrary to Kubiaks beliefs because, "using the run to set up the pass" is his battle cry. Through all of my frustration in our first 5 quarters of football this season, I have wondered (often aloud) why can't we be a pass first offence? New Orleans does it with some success. I'm not suggesting we model our game after New Orleans. I'm merely saying:

2. If we can force opposing defenses away from the line, the running lanes will open for Slaton.

3. Based on our run defense so far, I'd rather see teams like the Jags being forced to play the catch-up game instead of feeding MJD down our throats all day.

Obviously we looked terrible we were forced to do this in the 2nd half of the Jets game, because it was obvious we had to pass to get into the game, but while playing catch-up against Tacks, I though our passing game proved strong enough to carry the load.

Am I missing something?
Not missing anything. It's nothing new that some of us haven't been wondering ourselves.

Even if we grind out 2.3 yards a play Kubiak is going to be dedicated to trying to run the ball.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no such thing as using the pass to set up the run, unless you want to go back to a David Carr like dink and dunk.

If you pass 3/4ths of the time, then you better be effective the 1/4 time that you run it. Slaton is so ineffective right now with the ball, it wouldn't matter if they passed it 90% percent of the time.

If we're going to be a playoff team, we have to have an effective running game, or else it's one-dimensional.

I know this is going to be shock to some, but this isn't fantasy football.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Pass to set up the run....run to set up the pass...

who cares?

They have to run the ball better this week. A truly effective offense is one that can do both, not one that hopes either aspect will save the other if it's getting shutdown. Passing well doesn't make the running game work better...BLOCKING well makes the running game work better. All parties involved are to blame but 5 guys not doing the right thing needs more attention than 1 guy not doing well. If the pass was going to be used to set up the run we should've had a mighty run game going last week too. Matt Schaub and co. can cook a defense with blocking and Slaton has cooked a defense or two when he's had the blocks. No semblance of blocking vs. Jets=no run, no pass. Pass blocking only vs. Titans=4 TDs (and a win) with no run. Imagine what having blocking for both would do to a D....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 48491 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
If we're going to be a playoff team, we have to have an effective running game, or else it's one-dimensional.
This is the key IMO. I'm not ready to give up on the run yet. It has been a dissappointment so far yes, but it's now week 3 and not 13. First game we could niether pass nor run, 2nd game we could pass but not run. Following that line of thought (mainly because the Jags are really bad right now) I'm hoping in this game we can do both. Hopefully the Jags will do for us what we usually do for other teams and that is be the cure for what's ailing us....our run game!

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2009   #8
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I get the impression that the Titans came out in that game and decided that it didn't matter what else happened, Steve Slaton was not going to beat them. It looked like they were bringing safeties up all the time, and dominating the box. Look at Andre's huge uncovered touchdown. There was a playaction and Michael Griffin, who was responsible for Andre deep was running toward the line of scrimmage to stop the run. Tasker or Johnson mentioned while showing the replay that Griffin had taken himself out of the play for no good reason, but I think that the Titans D was convinced that if Slaton couldn't do it, the Texans couldn't do it.

Do they want to run? Sure. Who doesn't? But if the defense is going to hang around the line of scrimmage and dare the Texans to pass, we have the receivers and quarterback (finally!) to make a defense pay for a decision like that. To the tune of 357 yards and 4 touchdowns.
Old 09-24-2009   #9
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense is predicated on the play-action pass and misdirection. That stuff works much better when you have a run game that keeps the safeties biting and the defensive ends honest.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #10
euro-Texan
All Pro

I don't disagree with most of this, but It seems that if we commit to running the ball on first down every play. The safties will stick close to the line, shut down the run. Whne we get to the 3rd and long situation, they then know we will have to pass. That makes us very predictable. I will not compare Carr to Schaub at all, the dink and dunk can be very effective as long as it's not all you have. A few well exicuted pass plays will open up the lanes for our running game.
Old 09-24-2009   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't disagree with most of this, but It seems that if we commit to running the ball on first down every play. The safties will stick close to the line, shut down the run. Whne we get to the 3rd and long situation, they then know we will have to pass. That makes us very predictable. I will not compare Carr to Schaub at all, the dink and dunk can be very effective as long as it's not all you have. A few well exicuted pass plays will open up the lanes for our running game.
I think you need to define better what you mean by setting up the run using the pass.

I pointed out to the early days of Peyton Manning and Edge James. Those teams didn't line up and kick your ass off the LOS. They found ways to use the athleticism of the line, used screen plays, and got Edge around the corner on stretch plays.

I think the idea of setting up the run by the pass isn't the dink and dunk game, just that if teams are worried about you burning up their secondary they're less likely to drop the the 8th man in the box and the Lbers will be hesitant to play the line as much if they feel you're going to press them down field.

Still things on offense should be as much attacking in the right instances and taking what they give in others. I know it isn't fun to watch sometimes but, hell if a team is giving AJ a seven yard cushion think about a quick WR screen. Slaton broke the back of some teams last year because our offense was winning the time of possession portion of the game.
Old 09-25-2009   #12
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

All that I heard for a week before the game, and even on game day by the announcers were that the Texans had to run the ball in order to win. The weather was going to be wet and the Texans would be able to run at will on the Titans.
Great crystal ball that some people were looking into.
Maybe we didn't know who "At Will" was?
Old 09-25-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Not missing anything. It's nothing new that some of us haven't been wondering ourselves.

Even if we grind out 2.3 yards a play Kubiak is going to be dedicated to trying to run the ball.
With this offense, you have to be. Thats why the Play Action works even if we arent running well. It is a slow process, but if you don't respect the run, eventually it will start to go places. Remember, most of pour games with good running totals last year were on games where the run starts off slow, and then hits like a tidal wave.
Old 09-25-2009   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i just think we need to get slaton in more swing passes it hasent worked yet this year but dont give up on it it has worked in the past

with that many hands out there able to catch the ball the D will simply run out of people to cover
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #15
euro-Texan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat View Post
All that I heard for a week before the game, and even on game day by the announcers were that the Texans had to run the ball in order to win. The weather was going to be wet and the Texans would be able to run at will on the Titans.
Great crystal ball that some people were looking into.
Maybe we didn't know who "At Will" was?
I think At-Will shut Slaton down. Man that guy can get into the backfield.
Old 09-25-2009   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
With this offense, you have to be. Thats why the Play Action works even if we arent running well. It is a slow process, but if you don't respect the run, eventually it will start to go places. Remember, most of pour games with good running totals last year were on games where the run starts off slow, and then hits like a tidal wave.
All I'm saying is if running it up the middle isn't working....I dunno try another approach? What made Slaton so effective last year was getting his speed in space. I don't see the same burst and I think the new palying weight has been effecting him.

I dunno if it was his idea or the staff's but, Kinda in the mind of if it was so effective last year. Why change it?
Old 09-25-2009   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86827 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Am I missing something?
I agree with everything here and think that you're exactly right. I don't think that Kubes will ever do that though. That's one of the things that I hate about the guy. He's so stuck in his ways and game plans and is so stubborn about it no matter what the situation is. I've heard him say in the paper time and time again, that he'll run the ball just to run the ball. It's all he knows and that's what he'll stick to rain, sleet, or snow.

I agree though. At this point after two games, that would be a smarter way of attacking teams to get this running game going.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I agree with everything here and think that you're exactly right. I don't think that Kubes will ever do that though. That's one of the things that I hate about the guy. He's so stuck in his ways and game plans and is so stubborn about it no matter what the situation is. I've heard him say in the paper time and time again, that he'll run the ball just to run the ball. It's all he knows and that's what he'll stick to rain, sleet, or snow.

I agree though. At this point after two games, that would be a smarter way of attacking teams to get this running game going.
I think that you need to run just to run. Even if it's not working, you need to keep doing it. Other teams need to know that you're committed to the run so they honor the play fakes.

You don't have to have a running game that's smoking hot or even average to get people to honor the play fakes, you just have to have the other team aware that you're committed to attempting the run come rain or come shine. Of course, it's better the hotter your running game is but as long as we have the threat of a run, people will honor it.

And right now, people are shutting down our run because they're coming up to stop it. Which is opening up the pass. When teams start trying to take away the pass, our run game will open up. Actually, our run game will probably open up when we start playing teams that aren't as good against the run.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think that you need to run just to run. Even if it's not working, you need to keep doing it. Other teams need to know that you're committed to the run so they honor the play fakes.

You don't have to have a running game that's smoking hot or even average to get people to honor the play fakes, you just have to have the other team aware that you're committed to attempting the run come rain or come shine. Of course, it's better the hotter your running game is but as long as we have the threat of a run, people will honor it.

And right now, people are shutting down our run because they're coming up to stop it. Which is opening up the pass. When teams start trying to take away the pass, our run game will open up. Actually, our run game will probably open up when we start playing teams that aren't as good against the run.
I agree 100%. Want to see Schaub get heavy pressure, go pass happy.
Old 09-25-2009   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, with the score tied at 31, we passed on 1-10 to Dreessen for 6 yds.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read