Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2009   #1
crusse10
Rookie

Default Steve Slaton

OK Texans fans, I need your help.

What's wrong with your boy? I wasn't able to be at the first few rounds of my fantasy draft a couple weeks ago and I got Slaton by default. I wasn't upset by the pick at all, but in consecutive weeks, I have been sad.
Is he primed to turn things around, or am I in a situation where I should get him off my roster for premium athletes before he loses stock?
crusse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #2
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve Slaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusse10 View Post

What's wrong with your boy? I wasn't able to be at the first few rounds of my fantasy draft a couple weeks ago and I got Slaton by default. I wasn't upset by the pick at all, but in consecutive weeks, I have been sad.
Is he primed to turn things around, or am I in a situation where I should get him off my roster for premium athletes before he loses stock?
Theres worry around here that the weight he has put on (it as reported its all muscle during the offseason) has slowed him down, and he's lost his burst.

Personally I think we've not been doing a great job on the O-Line, and along side that we've been up against the Jets and Titans...both very nice looking run defenses.

I think these next two weeks will be truly representative of what has or has not happened to Stevie.
Old 09-24-2009   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Theres worry around here that the weight he has put on (it as reported its all muscle during the offseason) has slowed him down, and he's lost his burst.

Personally I think we've not been doing a great job on the O-Line, and along side that we've been up against the Jets and Titans...both very nice looking run defenses.

I think these next two weeks will be truly representative of what has or has not happened to Stevie.
After the Jets game it looked like he was "dancing" too much and not hitting the holes as he did last year. But after watching the Titans game I'm inclined to agree with MattieUK. The holes just weren't there or he didn't spot them quickly enough to get thru them in the Jets game. In the Titans game there were more holes and he got thru them, he just didn't break a 20+ run or two, which he did on multiple occasions last season.
I think it will come.

It could be worse. Like you, I wasn't at my FFL draft because I had to work. So I'm stuck with a gimpy L.T., Clinton Portis (Wash has no offense), and Ricky Williams (R.Brown gets all the quality carries)...
ugh...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #4
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will turn it around. If you look at the stats, no one has been successful running against the Titans or Jets so far this year including Willie Parker, R. Mendenhall, Fred Taylor, or L. Mulroney. We will see this weekend. I expect the Texans to focus on the running game and I am guessing that Slaton will have about 100 yards on about 15 carries and Brown will have about 50 yards on about 8 carries. Each will have a TD. Slaton will bust a long one and Brown will get one from about the 7 in a red zone situation. AJ and OD will each have one as well. K. Brown will hit 2 field goals.

MJD will have 2, 1 rushing and one receiving He will get about 100 yards on the ground and about 40 receiving. Garrard will have 180ish yards passing and no TD's/ 2 INT's.

MS will throw for 280 2 TD's/ 0 INT's.

Final Score: Texans 34 Jags 17

You heard it here first.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow ObsiWan, you're kinda screwed on RB's. Better shop a WR for a trade.

Quote:

It's been the line and the match up. If Slaton was the only back to drop 100 yards on the Titans last year, and do it twice, don't you think the Titans made their highest priority stopping Slaton? Their focus on Slaton would also explain why they bit on every play action fake... And also because Schaub does that so well.

The Jets just had us outcoached. Slaton's stats that game would've been different if we used more screen passes. The one that Schaub threw gave him 20 yards before he fumbled.

I'm confident that the game against Jacksonville will be Slaton's breakout performance.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #6
crusse10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Wow ObsiWan, you're kinda screwed on RB's. Better shop a WR for a trade.

It's been the line and the match up. If Slaton was the only back to drop 100 yards on the Titans last year, and do it twice, don't you think the Titans made their highest priority stopping Slaton? Their focus on Slaton would also explain why they bit on every play action fake... And also because Schaub does that so well.

The Jets just had us outcoached. Slaton's stats that game would've been different if we used more screen passes. The one that Schaub threw gave him 20 yards before he fumbled.
The fumbling is what scares me.
Also, is Slaton the goalline runner, or do they have a bruiser to throw in for the redzone carries?
Old 09-24-2009   #7
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also, is Slaton the goalline runner, or do they have a bruiser to throw in for the redzone carries?
No bruiser as such. Chris Brown serves as backup, but took the field for a whole series against the Titans, after Slaton had fumbled, and is more suited to the 'bruiser' type plays (well...more so than Stevie anyway!). But its not as if there will be anything more than 30% of running plays going Brown's way on a consistent basis, unless Slaton keeps coughing the ball up...Kubes is not much of a fan of fumbles.
Old 09-24-2009   #8
crusse10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
No bruiser as such. Chris Brown serves as backup, but took the field for a whole series against the Titans, after Slaton had fumbled, and is more suited to the 'bruiser' type plays (well...more so than Stevie anyway!). But its not as if there will be anything more than 30% of running plays going Brown's way on a consistent basis, unless Slaton keeps coughing the ball up...Kubes is not much of a fan of fumbles.
I'd hope not.
I guess I'll hold on to him for the next couple weeks, and if his talent doesn't spike soon, I'll try and get what I can for him.
Thanks alot.

Oh, and if anyone else has input, that'd be fantastic. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2009   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Worries Kubiak too.
Quote:
(on if RB Steve Slaton is running the same as he did last year) "No, he can run better. He can definitely run better. But we can help him, too. My concern with him, as I told him today, he got three balls on the ground in, I think, 20-something carries in two games. I mean, that can't happen. That can't happen once. We're very fortunate: yesterday he gets two balls knocked out at some very important times in the game and (T) Duane (Brown) gets them both. He had one protection issue during the game but as far as how many yards are there, what we're getting, that's going to—those things are always going to be up and down. I think that's just part of the game but as far as putting the football on the ground and those types of things, you know that can't happen. So he's got a lot of improvement to make from that standpoint."
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
MJD will have 2, 1 rushing and one receiving He will get about 100 yards on the ground and about 40 receiving. Garrard will have 180ish yards passing and no TD's/ 2 INT's.

MS will throw for 280 2 TD's/ 0 INT's.

Final Score: Texans 34 Jags 17

You heard it here first.
hm... Who's throwing the ball to MJD on the TD when Garrard does not throw for a TD?

I... heard it.. here first?...
Old 09-24-2009   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the consistency of this team, Slaton will rush for 300 yards, Schaub will throw 4 interceptions and 1 TD (because AJ IS consistent), we will shut down MJD for 3.5 qtrs. before he goes off on us in the last 7 minutes, and the Jags will pass on us all day. Oh, and our D will get 6 sacks....with absolutely no pressure on their QB the rest of the time.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Two thoughts.

Many have spoken about Staton's increased weight. There is no doubt that this can affect explosiveness and speed. However, increased bulking may create other problems. With significant chest and arm muscle bulking, there can be enough change in anatomical relationships, that it can change the dynamics of how the ball must be carried.

Secondly, if McClain is correct and Slaton has lost most of his previously gained weight (and I'm not sure that I could truly appreciate that in his appearance last week), then the weight loss was accomplished over a very short period of time. Have you ever lost 10-20 pounds in a short period of time? It can certainly translate into, at least temporarilly, a loss of strength (lower as well as upper), a loss of endurance, and a generalized sluggishness (in body and mind).

Something has affected Slaton, and it cannot be solely explained by the OL play.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, when you first lose weight you don't feel quicker, you just feel weaker.

'Course it would help if I didn't gain 10 lbs. of fat and then lose 10 lbs. of muscle.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is about matchups.

Though it is still early in the season such that stats may be skewed bc they played the Texans, the Titans and Jets both have good run defenses, and I'd expect both to be good against the run.

We don't know much about JAX's run defense this year because they've played two very pass oriented teams. This year due to injuries and personnel changes with their DC, you should be seeing a bit of a hybrid 3-4/4-3 look from the Jags.

Slaton needs to hold onto the ball.

The 2009 Jacksonville team is put together with young guys, old guys and duct tape, and Del Rio is the scrappiest junk yard coach in the league. He needs turnovers.
Old 09-24-2009   #15
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
hm... Who's throwing the ball to MJD on the TD when Garrard does not throw for a TD?

Forgot to mention Garrard leaves crying at the end of the third b/c he's scared of Mario.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I like about Kubiak, is that he hates players putting the ball on the ground as much as I do.

Even though I can accept that it's hard for anyone to run against the Jets and the Titans, I still think there is an issue with Slaton. I don't share others' optimism that he'll do better running the ball against Jax.

And if he coughs it up again anytime soon and end up in Kubes's doghouse, he'll more than likely be in for a long stay.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #17
twotexanfans
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 twotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden covertwotexanfans could be on the next Madden cover

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...tml?test=faces

"Start him: Steve Slaton, Texans

This might seem like an obvious selection, since Slaton was one of the top dozen backs taken off the board in most drafts. But after gaining just 51 yards on 26 carries and fumbling three times in the first two games, many of Slaton’s fantasy owners are in a state of panic.

Not to worry people. Even though this week’s opponent, the Cardinals, have been stingy against the run so far, Slaton is too good to keep averaging less than two yards per carry. With a home-run hitter like him, all it takes is one play. If someone is willing to trade Slaton when his value is at its lowest, you should make it happen."

Don't worry, he'll do fine against "this week’s opponent, the Cardinals," ???" :

LOL
twotexanfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #18
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post

Jags do the wildcat and that Sims guy throws it to MJD....or MJD throws it to himself.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Jags do the wildcat and that Sims guy throws it to MJD....or MJD throws it to himself.
Touché!
Old 09-26-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Reasonable take on the Slaton situation, but no one would be willing to "bet the farm" on if last year's Slaton shows up anytime soon.

Quote:
Kubiak takes veiled shots at Slaton

Earlier this week, Texans coach Gary Kubiak took a subtle jab at starting tailback Steve Slaton, expressing regret that Houston didn't sign free agent Cedric Benson this offseason.

"We had our chance with Cedric. It just didn't work out," Kubiak said. "We've got people to run the ball. But they have to run the ball better. You know, hindsight is 20-20. We've got to play with the people we've got."

Slaton has arguably been the league's worst running back through two games. He's fumbled three times and averaged a putrid 2.0 yards per carry (least among runners with 15 or more attempts).

Friday, Kubiak was at it again, saying he wants backup Ryan Moats more involved.

"I'd like to see [Moats] get some touches in the game," Kubiak said. "We have operated this week assuming that he may get some touches. He's been doing his job and playing well on special teams."

Either Kubiak is serious (we'll know Sunday), or he's trying to light a fire in Slaton. It's worth noting that Slaton's college production dropped after a heavy sophomore-year workload. In his first NFL season, Slaton touched the ball 318 times, more than he ever did at West Virginia.

Most likely, however, Slaton's slow start is merely the result of two difficult matchups (vs. the Jets, at Tennessee). Expect him to get it going Sunday against the Jaguars.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read