Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-23-2009   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 DT prospects

Let's see the defensive tackle prospects guys. I am not optimistic about any of the defensive tackles on our roster's progression. Maybe Robinson a little and Okam very little, but that's it. Okoye is a liability, and although he is only 22, he isn't progressing. Maybe I could believe in him if I saw constant, even slow progression. But it's not there.

6-4 297 lb RS/JR Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma

Career stats entering 2009 season:

49 tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception, 2 pass breakups.

6-4 300 lb RS/SR Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska

130 tackles, 33 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 3 blocked kicks, 3 interceptions (2 returned for TDs), 5 pass breakups.

6-5 365 lb SR Terrance Cody, Alabama

Career stats with Alabama entering 2009 season (one season of play):

24 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, .5 sack, 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries.

6-5 305 lb SR Vince Oghobaase, Duke

128 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks, 1 safety, 1 blocked kick.

Please add some guys to this list, or if you can give the 2009 stats for these players.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #2
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 DT prospects

This adds nothing to the thread, but one of my better girl friends (not an old girlfriend, just a friend who is a girl) from my hometown goes to OU and has dated McCoy off and on for the past year or two and I've met him a couple times. Big guy, big hands, seemed pretty nice. Never worked up enough backbone to ask him for an autograph, don't think my friend/his girlfriend would like that too much.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

nice list TS, and I like those guys, it just leaves me with bile in my mouth when I realize we have to try and fill a need in that position...again.
Old 09-23-2009   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm liking Cody and Suh!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
nice list TS, and I like those guys, it just leaves me with bile in my mouth when I realize we have to try and fill a need in that position...again.
Pretty much my problem too. I'm dreading the thought of getting another DT in the first where it's really boom or bust. The back end of the defense needs help terribly and I hope this staff(assuming its still here) finally addresses the need early on.

Has anyone else noticed how quietly well Kyle McCarthy for the Irish has played real well? He's not Eric Berry but the guy has 3 games and 3 picks. One of which sealed a victory. Could be a second or third round steal.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will try to do it in the same way the 2010 Safeties thread.

Tier 1- Elite Prospects

Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh, 6'4" 302 lbs
Suh will be a stud. Speed, strength, agility, intelligence, he has it all. Probably the best DT I have seen coming out of college since I started paying attention (5 years). He is a top 5 pick for sure.

Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, 6'4" 298 lbs
Another stud, and if this were any other year he would be the top DT prospect without a doubt. Again, size, speed, strength, its all there. Top 10 pick

Tier 1 1/2- Very Good Prospects

Syracuse's Arthur Jones, 6'3" 295 lbs
Jones does not nearly get the respect he deserves. I want to put him in the first group, but I worry that he looks so good because of his competition (Big East). Anyway, he is a legit player. Top 15 pick, very good against the run. He actually might be one of the best DT's for us because he is almost perfect for the NT spot.

Duke's Vince Oghobaase, 6'5" 305 lbs
Another player who does not get respect. Oghobaase is the real deal, despite what the internet people say. Just watch some Duke games and you will see why. He might not even go in the 1st, but I would be very happy if the Texans got him.

Tier 2- Good Prospects

North Carolina's Marvin Austin, 6'3" 305 lbs
Austin is an athletic freak, reports of 4.8 speed. His play needs to reflect that though, which is why I bump him down. Athletically he could be in the next tier, but I have not seen enough out of him to warrant it.

Georgia's Jeff Owens, 6'1" 306
A little shorter than one would like to see, he makes up for it in effort. More of a run stuffer than pass rusher, he has elite strength but marginal speed. 2nd rounder.

Florida's Lawrence Marsh, 6'4" 304 lbs
Marsh is one of the cogs in the vaunted Florida D. Spikes gets most of the recognition (and rightfully so) but Marsh is the one who keeps the big uglies off of him. He should stay in school, but if he declares he should go in the second.

Tier 3- Solid Prospects

Alabama's Terrence Cody, 6'4" 365 lbs
Eh. I am not as high on him as others, as many of you are no doubt aware. Cody is nothing more than a run stopper, a two down player at best. He gets by because of his immense size, that wont work in the pros. He has the talent of a third rounder, but will go in the first because of his bulk. BUST.

Penn State's Jared Odrick, 6'4" 298 lbs
Odrick may fit better as a 34 end. He is an unspectacular player, not much really to say. He does his job, and should be selected in the 2nd/3rd.

Wake Forest's Boo Robinson, 6'1" 295 lbs
Another shorter DT, Robinson is more a balanced player. He had a slow start to the season, but picked it up last week. Robinson should be a 3rd rounder, maybe 4th.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will try to study some of these guys.

Here are Cody's first 3 plays against VTech:

1-10
Got double team. They also ran away from him to the outside.

2-8
Ran away from him to the outside.

3-2
Got double teamed again. Leaving his teammate to make the third down stop.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2009   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

This season's stats up to date:

I listed the guys that I think will get drafted in the first round.

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska:
vs Florida Atlantic - 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 pass batted down
vs Arkansas St - 5 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks
at Virginia Tech - 8 tackles, .5 TFL, .5 sack, 4 passes batted down

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma:

vs BYU - 5 tackles, 4 TFL
vs Idaho St - 2 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack
vs Tulsa - 1 tackle, 1 TFL

Arthur Jones, Syracuse:
vs Minnesota - 5 tackles, 1 TFL
at Penn St - 2 tackles
vs Northwestern - 2 tackles, 1 TFL

Terrence Cody, Alabama:
at Virginia Tech - 1 tackle
FIU - 3 tackles, 2.5 TFL
North Texas - 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 pass batted down
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72577 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Smithiak to use the draft to upgrade the secondary. A CB and two S would suit me fine.

I would rather see a big run stuffing DT be picked up in FA. (Hampton or Seymour) Spend all of the FA money you have to sign one of these guys.

Dont spend anymore high draft picks on the hope that some developmental DT actually develops. (Okoye)

Spend the Money BoB
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a distinction needs to be made between UT and NT. We need a NT/DT not an UT/DT. The only guys on these lists that are NT/DT are Terrence Cody, Ndamukong Suh, and Vince Oghobaase though I'm not real familiar with all of these guys. McCoy, and Jones are UT's like Amobi Okoye. I hope he's still around in the 2nd round, might be a late 1st rounder, but the guy I'd like to see the Texans go after in the 2nd is Vince Oghobaase. This guy has athleticism and the size and frame to easily handle another 20-25 lbs. without losing speed. I really hope that we don't target a DT in the 1st round, it's really getting old, going after D-linemen in the 1st round. Lets spread some of that talent around, it's desparately needed in the secondary.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I have daily thoughts and wishes that Okam will wake up one day, and decide he wants to be a terror in the NFL for the next 8 years.
Old 09-27-2009   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska:
Florida Atlantic - 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 pass batted down
Arkansas St - 5 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks
at Virginia Tech - 8 tackles, .5 TFL, .5 sack, 4 passes batted down
UL Lafayette - 6 tackles, .5 TFL, 1 pass batted down

Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma:
BYU - 5 tackles, 4 TFL
Idaho St - 2 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 sack
Tulsa - 1 tackle, 1 TFL

Arthur Jones, Syracuse:
Minnesota - 5 tackles, 1 TFL
at Penn St - 2 tackles
Northwestern - 2 tackles, 1 TFL
Maine - no stats accumulated

Terrence Cody, Alabama:
at Virginia Tech - 1 tackle
FIU - 3 tackles, 2.5 TFL
North Texas - 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 pass batted down
Arkansas - 1 tackle
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I am looking forward to seeing Al Woods from LSU. He has all the tools to get it done, now its a matter of doing it. He has the potential to be a late round steal, but he needs to get his head into the game and just do it.

Also looking at Boo Robinson from Wake Forest. He is a Huge run stuffer that can push up the middle as well. Might be a potential role DT on obvious run situations. Potential 3rd-4th rounder now.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I cannot stomich the approach of throw another 1st rd. pick on the DL, can't. address this need in free agency as a top priority but not via the draft is just to hard to project players potential @ this position.

I would however be willing to invest for future purposes a 3rd/4th rd. pick. Would prefer someone already sound fundamentally from solid defensive program like Wake Forrest (Aaron Curry, Alphonso Smith & Chip Vaughn). Boo Robinson is now a Senior, his specialty is run stuffer, good quickness, smart & well coached. I think he would fit in nicely as a rotational player with good effort.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't we do this every year?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to de-rail the thread, but i think we need to get a safety in the 1st round...by any means reasonably necessary. If we pick at the same spot as we did last year, that's perfect for us to draft one.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want another 1st round D-lineman, there are other holes on the team that could use some good talent as well. It's time to spread some of that talent around. Also whoever we pick in the 1st round is very dependent on whether or not Dunta returns next year or not. If Dunta returns then I'd like to see us go after a Safety like Morgan Burnett in the 1st round and then go after Boo Robinson in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Dunta leaves then we'll need to fill that spot right away with either Trevard Lindley or Joe Haden, cause none of our backup CB's are worth a damn. We could then go Safety in the 2nd round and possibly Boo Robinson in the 3rd or if he's gone then the best O-lineman available.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't want another 1st round D-lineman, there are other holes on the team that could use some good talent as well. It's time to spread some of that talent around. Also whoever we pick in the 1st round is very dependent on whether or not Dunta returns next year or not. If Dunta returns then I'd like to see us go after a Safety like Morgan Burnett in the 1st round and then go after Boo Robinson in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Dunta leaves then we'll need to fill that spot right away with either Trevard Lindley or Joe Haden, cause none of our backup CB's are worth a damn. We could then go Safety in the 2nd round and possibly Boo Robinson in the 3rd or if he's gone then the best O-lineman available.
I don't look for any particular position at the moment.
We still have FA and possible trade(s) before the next draft.

But it's always good to know if a certain is available at our spot, is he worthy enough for us to go BPA?!?
Old 10-01-2009   #19
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I am looking forward to seeing Al Woods from LSU. He has all the tools to get it done, now its a matter of doing it. He has the potential to be a late round steal, but he needs to get his head into the game and just do it.
We already got him on the team. He wears #97.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I cannot stomich the approach of throw another 1st rd. pick on the DL, can't. address this need in free agency as a top priority but not via the draft is just to hard to project players potential @ this position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Don't we do this every year?
Pretty much, but you've got to do whatever it takes to get better up front.

Look at the Eagles. In 2005 they picked up DT Mike Patterson from USC in the 1st. In 2006 they picked up Broderick Bunkley from FSU in the 1st. They spent a 2nd on a DE in 2007.

Even though Patterson and Bunkley are starters who have played well, and are only 26, the Eagles still addressed DT in the 2008 draft. They picked up Trevor Laws from Notre Dame in the 2nd (their highest draft choice). They also took a DE in the 3rd.

I know it sucks to think we might have to go DT early, but we've got to get better up front. Whatever it takes.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-01-2009 at 11:31 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read