Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2009   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Practice Squad Transactions...

Looks like we made some adjustments to the squad. Parson has been cut to make room for a guard in Andrew Crummey. Anyone have any insight on him? Is this related to Chester Pitts?

We signed Antone Smith to replace the loss of Alridge. Smith is S-M-A-L-L. He was once regarded as the #1 high school RB coming into college. He didn't blow up at FSU but was solid. He's got loads of speed according to his bio at the FSU website. Can anyone get his 40 time? I don't know where to find stuff like that.

Quote:
» 9/23/2009 Signed G Andrew Crummey and RB Antone Smith to the practice squad. RB Anthony Alridge was signed to the Washington Redskins' active roster.
» 9/22/2009 Released CB Mark Parson from the practice squad.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp
Old 09-23-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Practice Squad Transactions...

like Smith, very aggressive runner inside despite being only 5'7". kinda like Moats, who has not seen any action which is a head scratcher, but I think he is faster - timed a 4.33 40 also strong with 31 reps @ 225 (pro day numbers not invited to combine).

never know about these guys sometimes they just need a chance look @ Mike Bell who was starting for the Saints before injury, he was brought in last year for a look.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #3
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith is 5'8"...MJD is 5'7"...there's your opponent PS player of the week pickup.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
like Smith, very aggressive runner inside despite being only 5'7". kinda like Moats, who has not seen any action which is a head scratcher, but I think he is faster - timed a 4.33 40 also strong with 31 reps @ 225 (pro day numbers not invited to combine).

never know about these guys sometimes they just need a chance look @ Mike Bell who was starting for the Saints before injury, he was brought in last year for a look.
I remember seeing Bell in camp last season. The dude was way out of shape compared to how he looks now. I think he pulled a hammy within the first couple days he was here. Kubiak said he wasn't in the best of shape and whacked him.

Old 09-23-2009   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

going to FSU pro-day report (hard to tell if numbers are inflated or not) but actually ran a 4.32 with 36" vertical & 32 reps. better than anyone @ the combine.

all I can vouch for is the tape. I've seen him play & his football speed supports his measureables. he is a one-cut downhill runner with low center of gravity who's strong & tough to wrap up. remember a game last year it seemed he touched the ball every carry all the way down for a TD which shows both heart & durability. anyway was picked up by Detroit (undrafted free agent) - cut 8/6 then signed by Minnesota but waived 9/1.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Antone Smith signing, I wanted the Texans to draft him in about the 5th or 6th round earlier this year. Here's what Walterfootball.com has to say about him.

Antone Smith, Florida State
Height: 5-8. Weight: 191.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.33.
Benchx225: 31. Vertical: 32. Broad: 10-2.
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
3/18/09: With a 40 of 4.33, 31 reps on the bench press, a 32-inch vertical and a 10-2 broad jump, Antone Smith definitely put himself on the radar. Smith rushed for 792 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also caught 10 passes for 101 yards
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

31 reps on the bench press? What was he doing like 100 pounds or something? I seriously, seriously doubt a 5-8 190 lbs. dude can out lift the freak we drafted in the first round.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have quite a few FSU game tapes I can watch later.
(I was scouting Todd Verdell and didn't watch the offense).

According to ProFootballFocus, Andrew Crummey (what a name) only played in one game, against the Colts last year, appeared in 12 plays, and was fine.

I also have that game and will watch it later,
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Surprise, surprise!
Crummey played at Center in that game.
He passed all the tests, but it was against backups late in the 4th quarter when the Bengals already lost big.
Old 09-23-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like the Antone Smith signing, I wanted the Texans to draft him in about the 5th or 6th round earlier this year. Here's what Walterfootball.com has to say about him.

Antone Smith, Florida State
Height: 5-8. Weight: 191.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.33.
Benchx225: 31. Vertical: 32. Broad: 10-2.
Projected Round (2009): 5-6.
3/18/09: With a 40 of 4.33, 31 reps on the bench press, a 32-inch vertical and a 10-2 broad jump, Antone Smith definitely put himself on the radar. Smith rushed for 792 yards and 15 touchdowns. He also caught 10 passes for 101 yards
Just FYI. Coincidentally, he took Arian Foster's place on the Senior Bowl roster after Foster was injured.

He has been timed from 4.28 to 4.48 in the 40

Quote:
09/01/09 - RB Antone Smith was waived by Minnesota.

08/06/09 - RB Antone Smith, who was cut by division-rival Detroit last week, signed with Minnesota.

08/02/09 - RB Antone Smith was cut because of numbers at that spot. Mayhew said cutting Smith, a good running back, shows the Lions have some talent and depth at the position.

07/28/09 - RB Antone Smith, a rookie free agent out of Florida State, was waived by Detroit.

03/17/09 - Florida State Pro day: Antone Smith had one shot to impress a gaggle of NFL scouts. His 40-yard dash time probably did the trick. Smith's 4.32-second 40 made those scouts take notice at Monday's pro timing day at Florida State, the running back's first opportunity to perform in front of a crowd. Like most of Monday's participants, Smith wasn't invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. So Smith, who finished eighth in career rushing yards and fifth in career rushing touchdowns at FSU, needed a good day at the turf field to get a second look from NFL teams. "This was very important for a lot of us," he said. "We only had two players go to the combine. All the rest of us have a chip on our shoulder to come out and show what we can do." Smith turned heads with his 40 time, then turned in a 36-inch vertical leap and a 32-rep performance in the bench press. In comparison, the fastest laser-timed 40 at the combine among running backs (Smith's was hand-timed) was 4.45 seconds. Smith's vertical would put him among the top performers at his position. His bench press performance would have been the best at his position by two reps. "I didn't watch the combine, but my agent was texting me everything that the other players at my position had done," Smith said. "So I knew I had to shoot for those numbers." - Derek Redd, Special to The Palm Beach Post
Link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
» 9/22/2009 Released CB Mark Parson from the practice squad.
:'''(
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Antone Smith signing his a low risk, high reward venture with very little risk. Hopefully Kubiak will give him a serious chance to prove his worth, the guy has moves and speed. He could be our version of Darren Sproles.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just FYI. Coincidentally, he took Arian Foster's place on the Senior Bowl roster after Foster was injured.

He has been timed from 4.28 to 4.48 in the 40

Link
Sounds a bit like a Darren Sproles look-alike...
Edit:
Wolf6151 beat me to it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know he returns kickoffs.

Can he return punts?

If he can he has a place on this team. Jacoby had a good game @ WR I would like to see him get Davis time ay WR. I hope I never see Jacobys fumbling self returning a punt again.

I asked Marciano at the open house how they were working with Jacoby on his fumbling problems. He basically blew me off and said Jacoby blamed the problem on wearing sleeves.

The problem has reared its ugly head again.

Kubes can fix the problem by finding another punt returner. If Marciano doesn't demand a change.

Jacoby has concentration problems both asa a WR and a PR. IMO He is an all-world talent though.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
31 reps on the bench press? What was he doing like 100 pounds or something? I seriously, seriously doubt a 5-8 190 lbs. dude can out lift the freak we drafted in the first round.
I don't know if 31 reps is accurate or not, but two words for you: short arms.
Old 09-23-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Surprise, surprise!
Crummey played at Center in that game.
He passed all the tests, but it was against backups late in the 4th quarter when the Bengals already lost big.
Just finished watching the Bengals/Rams game.
Crummey came in midway thru the third and play LG.
Palmer was at QB all the way.
Crummey went up against 4th year man Lajuan Ramsey (a back up for the Colts last year) and some against 4th round draft pick Darrell Scott (315 lbs) - a strong dude out of Clemson.
There were only a couple of plays where he was slightly lagging (but inconsequential, not affecting the play). He won many battles and was about even on others (65/35).

Looks strong on the blocks.
The Bengals ran a lot of ZBS, and he also looks pretty good on the second level. Probably not as athletic as our starters but not too shabby. Likely more athletic than Studdard. Probably better than Studdard overall.

Too soon to tell.
I will watch him against the Pats next.
Old 09-23-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I know he returns kickoffs.

Can he return punts?

If he can he has a place on this team. Jacoby had a good game @ WR I would like to see him get Davis time ay WR. I hope I never see Jacobys fumbling self returning a punt again.
Nope, Fla.St. didn't use him in the return game.
Old 09-24-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Crummey played both RG & C against the Pats.
He dominated a 3rd yr PS player Titus Adams, pancaked him once, and put him on the ground on another play.
Some good battles with Ron Brace, the secound round draft pick.

This guy has good potential in the ZBS.
And I've already seen him play 3 positions: C, LG & RG.
Old 09-24-2009   #19
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Short arms.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

These look like some pretty OK signings. I hope Smith just worked some mid season magic.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read