Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubes expresses regret for passing on Benson

Texans coach Gary Kubiak expressed regret for passing on Bengals RB Cedric Benson in free agency this past offseason.
"We had our chance with Cedric in free agency. It just didn't work out," said Kubiak. "You know, hindsight is 20-20. We've got to play with the people we've got." Kubiak's comments aren't exactly a ringing endorsement of Steve Slaton, who has lost three fumbles and averaged just 2.0 yards on 26 carries.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong when it came to Benson and whether or not the Texans should sign the guy last season. He ended up playing pretty well for the Bengals last year and it's carrying on to this season. Good for Benson and I hope he keeps it up and stays out of trouble.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Kubes expresses regret for passing on Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Texans coach Gary Kubiak expressed regret for passing on Bengals RB Cedric Benson in free agency this past offseason.
"We had our chance with Cedric in free agency. It just didn't work out," said Kubiak. "You know, hindsight is 20-20. We've got to play with the people we've got." Kubiak's comments aren't exactly a ringing endorsement of Steve Slaton, who has lost three fumbles and averaged just 2.0 yards on 26 carries.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong when it came to Benson and whether or not the Texans should sign the guy last season. He ended up playing pretty well for the Bengals last year and it's carrying on to this season. Good for Benson and I hope he keeps it up and stays out of trouble.
The bold is key. He's on my fantasy team, so I like that he is doing well. I'm still not sold on the Cedric Benson experiment.
Old 09-22-2009   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just my opinion, but I think Kubiak wanted Benson here. Unfortunately, Benson got his Boy Scout uniform dirty, so it did not seem like an appealing acquisition to the FO folks.
Old 09-22-2009   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Cedric wanted to play for the Texans.
He was offered decent #2 money. The Bengals offered him a better price and the guarantee of the starting role. Can't say I blame him.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
The bold is key. He's on my fantasy team, so I like that he is doing well. I'm still not sold on the Cedric Benson experiment.
Well he's running harder than he ever ran in Chicago right now and is currently one of the best bruising RB's in the league right now. Will that last? I think it will this season as long as he stays healthy, but with him getting 29 carries in one game there is a good chance that he ends up getting hurt. He's off to a very good start though, and is really pounding the rock.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with Kubes, I'm happy we didn't throw money at Benson, save that money for Owen Demeco and Walter. Chris Brown gives us what Benson would've.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Benson hasn't had to run against the stout run Ds of the Jets and Titans yet.
Old 09-22-2009   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I disagree with Kubes, I'm happy we didn't throw money at Benson, save that money for Owen Demeco and Walter. Chris Brown gives us what Benson would've.
You realize in one game Benson out rushed the Texans for the season so far? In fact he almost doubled it.

Yeah because the Texans couldn't afford the 2 year 7 million dollar deal the Bengals put on the table.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 09-22-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

This has been taken totally out of context, anyone that listened to Kubiak's Monday presser knows that. Barry Warner came out of left field with this in a question (more like a statement) to Gary. Gary also said he was pleased with what they have at RB. Neg rep to Rotoworld.
Old 09-22-2009   #10
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not see where Kubiak expresses any regret about not having made Benson a huge offer in his statement above. That is not clearly what he was saying at all.

Personally, I wanted the Texans to get Benson last summer. But not at the expense of breaking the bank. The Texans have done a good job of managing their salary cap up until now. Should they have thrown that out the window for Cedric Benson? I do not think so. And I do not get the impression that Kubiak is suggesting otherwise here.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It wasn't that big of a contract. Hell, I think we're paying our no. 3 QB almost as much!

And what makes you think that Rick Smith is going to wrap up contracts for Daniels, Ryans, or Walter any time soon? (Besides, half the forum says two out of three of these guys are "easily replaceable"...not that forum opinion means anything.)
Old 09-22-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
You realize in one game Benson out rushed the Texans for the season so far? In fact he almost doubled it.

Yeah because the Texans couldn't afford the 2 year 7 million dollar deal the Bengals put on the table.
3.5 mil is a high cap number for a backup at any position let alone runningback, and I bet you that number goes up in the 2nd year of the deal. If it meant not being able to pay a Walter Owen or Demeco, or Pitts and Dunta for that matter, then I would be strongly against it. We have our own guys to take care of and with a limited cap number it won't be easy.
Old 09-22-2009   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It wasn't that big of a contract. Hell, I think we're paying our no. 3 QB almost as much!

And what makes you think that Rick Smith is going to wrap up contracts for Daniels, Ryans, or Walter any time soon? (Besides, half the forum says two out of three of these guys are "easily replaceable"...not that forum opinion means anything.)
I didn't give the Dan-O contract did I lol? I'm just saying we didn't roll out the red carpet for him and match the Bengals deal because we know there's other guys to take care of down the road. Is CB at 3.5 mil really that much of an upgrade to Chris Brown or Moats at much lesser deals?
Old 09-22-2009   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
3.5 mil is a high cap number for a backup at any position let alone runningback, and I bet you that number goes up in the 2nd year of the deal. If it meant not being able to pay a Walter Owen or Demeco, or Pitts and Dunta for that matter, then I would be strongly against it. We have our own guys to take care of and with a limited cap number it won't be easy.
I don't disagree with you, but with our very inconsistent RB position, he might not have been a backup for long. Slaton is not showing signs of 2008 greatness, and we know Brown could go down on any given play given his history.

But yeah, obviously we need to keep Walters, Daniels, and Ryans if we want the consistency that good, solid players can bring to a team year after year.

I don't know what Benson's second year numbers are, but the Texans are 10 million+ under the cap right now. And isn't next year an uncapped year? So Benson's 2010 number might not have mattered to a franchise making as much money as this one is right now.
Old 09-22-2009   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice revisionist history. Slaton didn't emerge as the starter until what game 4? In the mean time last year I think a Benson/ Slaton backfield would've pushed us a lot more then then a Slaton and whatever you can get from Ryan Moats combo (Not that I have anything against Ryan).

Let me put it this way. Last year in the 12 games he appeared in he rushed for 747 yards and two TDs. Not that those are stellar numbers but...how many yards did Chris Brown rush for last year?

I don't think a 2 year deal for 7 million would've been bad. I don't know how it was structured, but let's say even at worst case scenario, 3.5 mil a year wouldn't have killed us. We're also not in cap hell right NOW.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 09-22-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #16
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Nice revisionist history. Slaton didn't emerge as the starter until what game 4? In the mean time last year I think a Benson/ Slaton backfield would've pushed us a lot more then then a Slaton and whatever you can get from Ryan Moats combo (Not that I have anything against Ryan).

Let me put it this way. Last year in the 12 games he appeared in he rushed for 747 yards and two TDs. Not that those are stellar numbers but...how many yards did Chris Brown rush for last year?

I don't think a 2 year deal for 7 million would've been bad. I don't know how it was structured, but let's say even at worst case scenario, 3.5 mil a year wouldn't have killed us. We're also not in cap hell right NOW.
Slaton's first start came in our 2nd game (week 3) against the Titans. He was basically the bright spot for the day.
Old 09-22-2009   #17
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hard to say how benson does here. don't know if it's slaton or the o-line. what if slaton was in cincy? would he be having success? would have like benson, if cincy offered more money than good for him.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #18
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

DAMN IT!!! I knew they were making a mistake letting him get away. And they weren't that far apart either.

Good grief. Why so stingy?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 73767 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody know what we paid Ahman Green per game? That seems more of a waste than signing a young, healthy player.

==========

Here's the thing. The $3.5M shouldn't even have been an issue. Benson could have been signed on the cheap last season. He tried out in the middle of the year and wanted to play for the Texans.

In that situation you can often get a street free agent for the minimum. They could have signed him for the remainder of last year and this year, non-guaranteed. Even if they sweetened the deal some he'd have been a bargain.

The risk was that he didn't work out. If so, they cut him at no cost and leave a void this year. Just where they are now.

The Texans made a big mistake by not taking an inexpensive risk in a young, talented player with something to prove. It's too bad for the team that they can invest a lot more money in an injury prone player like Green but can't pull the trigger on a deal like Benson's.

The above isn't hindsight; it was discussed when Benson tried out last season.
Old 09-22-2009   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Don't overlook the fact that the guy is kind of a moron. My brother lived in the same apartment complex as him in Austin and said after his boating incident last year all he did was sit at home drinking smoking and living off his UT glory. I can show you pictures from his facebook of him doing keg stands. He has a very poor work ethic and is not a Texan type of player (and was running last year to cash in). Before that he was a 3 yards per carry back with bust written all over him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read