Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2009   #1
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 53 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This is what i dont understand

Last week after the jets loss, i was driving home from the houston game listing to 610 sports station on the radio. After the game the broadcasters were saying how andre johnson is not the same, he lost its ability, he got shutdown, blahhh blahhh blahhhhhh.

Then he has a great game and they say stuff like, he is the greatest reciever in the nfl, if you dont know who andre johnson is you have been living under a rock, noone can stop andre(p.s. i agree with all of that lol) just because he had a good game. i dont understand why they hate andre when he has a bad game but the second he does good they jump and ride the bandwaggon. I have been and andre johnson fan since he came out of miami in 03' and always will be. i hate these phony guys that kick him when he is down and love him when he is on top.
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This is what i dont understand

TV and radio's job is to sell commercials, not report the news.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

He was double covered all game against the Jets by one of the best CBs and safeties in the NFL, we couldn't run the ball, and Schaub had no time to throw. Pretty easy to see why he didn't have a stellar game.
Old 09-22-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

610 callers aren't exactly the sharpest peanuts in the turd.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #5
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Heard a guy call in several days after the Jets game saying we need to trade Andre Johnson for 1st round picks and rebuild the team ... seriously, someone said that.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #6
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLwowski View Post
Last week after the jets loss, i was driving home from the houston game listing to 610 sports station on the radio. After the game the broadcasters were saying how andre johnson is not the same, he lost its ability, he got shutdown, blahhh blahhh blahhhhhh.

Then he has a great game and they say stuff like, he is the greatest reciever in the nfl, if you dont know who andre johnson is you have been living under a rock, noone can stop andre(p.s. i agree with all of that lol) just because he had a good game. i dont understand why they hate andre when he has a bad game but the second he does good they jump and ride the bandwaggon. I have been and andre johnson fan since he came out of miami in 03' and always will be. i hate these phony guys that kick him when he is down and love him when he is on top.
This is just my opinion, but I think his biggest problem in the Jets game was who he had across from him: Andre Davis. The guy is a terrible #2 WR. He is nice to have in a situational role to send deep but other than that, the guy is terrible. Call me crazy, but I think Jacoby is a better #2 option than AD. Jacoby is even more athletic, just as fast, and runs better routes. If Jacoby could ever understand the game mentally, he could be a VERY good player. The guy just constantly makes stupid decisions and has a problem with thinking about the next move he is going to make instead of just catching the ball.

Needless to say, I can't wait until Walter gets back because I see AJ performing even better when he has a true #2 across from him. The other thing I will add is that the coaching philosophy was much better against the Teetons. Against New York, it seemed Kubiak/Shanny refused to alter the gameplan and kept trying to run the ball up the gut instead of focusing on the passing game. I was afraid we were going to see the same thing in the Tennessee game: run, run, pass. It went that way at first but this time, Shanniak realized it wasn't working and started passing the ball more on first down. This opened up our passing game and gave Dre the chance to have a huge game.
Old 09-22-2009   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Heard a guy call in several days after the Jets game saying we need to trade Andre Johnson for 1st round picks and rebuild the team ... seriously, someone said that.

OMG! WOW........yeah, not the brightest bulb in the fixture there! That guy gets the poof lion....

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2009   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
He was double covered all game against the Jets by one of the best CBs and safeties in the NFL, we couldn't run the ball, and Schaub had no time to throw.
Randy Moss had like two catches last week against the same secondary. The Jets are for real.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
yeah, someone that sits on hold for two hours to spew an opinion is mighty suspect to me, too. And the postgame show hosts are prone to knee-jerking, as well. I had to turn that crap off after the Jets game. I couldn't take it.

Quote:
I heard that moron, as well. I immediately popped in a cd instead of listening to doofus radio show caller making dumb suggestions about getting rid of one of the best WRs in the NFL. Thanks for that nugget of stupidity was my initial thought, then it was off to jam to some tunes.
Old 09-22-2009   #10
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I heard that moron, as well. I immediately popped in a cd instead of listening to doofus radio show caller making dumb suggestions about getting rid of one of the best WRs in the NFL. Thanks for that nugget of stupidity was my initial thought, then it was off to jam to some tunes.
I bet the caller is a poster here.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I bet the caller is a poster here.
Or probably at the main board.
Old 09-22-2009   #12
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Or probably at the main board.
Yeah, more than likely.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Randy Moss had like two catches last week against the same secondary. The Jets are for real.
For the same reasons. Even the absence of the normal # 2 WR (Welker was out).
Old 09-22-2009   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll tell you what I don't understand is why this staff doesn't go with the pass first to set up the run mentality.

When this WR corps is totally healthy I'd go with the approach that I believe 100% that our top 4 WRs are better then your top 4 Dbs.

If we really do have a healthy Matt Schaub I'd look at what what the Colts did early on With Manning. Challenge people's Dbs and have a fair amount of plays with a single RB out of the backfield. Defense would see draws and stretch plays, prior to slaton's weight gain he would've been perfect in that role. Use the athleticism of the OL instead of hoping they can hold the point of attack through strength.Let Schaub operate out of the shotgun to give him time and use his vision to check down.

I know Kubiak wants to stick with the Run game and yeah you have to run in this league to win, but looking at this team it's just never been consistent. I'm not saying go total run and shoot, but when teams fear your passing game it makes them hesitant in the running game. Ask Edge about that during his time in Indy.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #15
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 53 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'll tell you what I don't understand is why this staff doesn't go with the pass first to set up the run mentality.

When this WR corps is totally healthy I'd go with the approach that I believe 100% that our top 4 WRs are better then your top 4 Dbs.

If we really do have a healthy Matt Schaub I'd look at what what the Colts did early on With Manning. Challenge people's Dbs and have a fair amount of plays with a single RB out of the backfield. Defense would see draws and stretch plays, prior to slaton's weight gain he would've been perfect in that role. Use the athleticism of the OL instead of hoping they can hold the point of attack through strength.Let Schaub operate out of the shotgun to give him time and use his vision to check down.

I know Kubiak wants to stick with the Run game and yeah you have to run in this league to win, but looking at this team it's just never been consistent. I'm not saying go total run and shoot, but when teams fear your passing game it makes them hesitant in the running game. Ask Edge about that during his time in Indy.
I do agree strongly with that. But lets say we did do that i think we would take away from some of our good players. Vonte Leach, to me one of the best full backs in the nfl, i hate to say it but slaton, if he gets back on track(hopefully he does) he can wreck a defense but by passing most of the time it would give him less chances to work out his wrinkles. But as for the WR i think it would be great. I think daniels is just as capable as clark, andre better than wayne, walter better than gonzalez, and then jacobe. But when the run game does work with the offence gary wants to run, no team will be able to stop out play actions.
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy, but I think the biggest thing that shut AJ down was a pretty OK CB named Revis and a Guy named Jenkins doing his best Fat Albert imitation. Some people on here thought Schaub was a turd without any nuts after the Jets game. 610 is OK as long as you don't mistake it for a serious sports talk radio channel. Personally, I find many of the threads on here much more knowledgeable and informative than anything I've heard on the radio in a while.
Old 09-22-2009   #17
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This is just my opinion, but I think his biggest problem in the Jets game was who he had across from him: Andre Davis. The guy is a terrible #2 WR. He is nice to have in a situational role to send deep but other than that, the guy is terrible. Call me crazy, but I think Jacoby is a better #2 option than AD. Jacoby is even more athletic, just as fast, and runs better routes. If Jacoby could ever understand the game mentally, he could be a VERY good player. The guy just constantly makes stupid decisions and has a problem with thinking about the next move he is going to make instead of just catching the ball.

Needless to say, I can't wait until Walter gets back because I see AJ performing even better when he has a true #2 across from him. The other thing I will add is that the coaching philosophy was much better against the Teetons. Against New York, it seemed Kubiak/Shanny refused to alter the gameplan and kept trying to run the ball up the gut instead of focusing on the passing game. I was afraid we were going to see the same thing in the Tennessee game: run, run, pass. It went that way at first but this time, Shanniak realized it wasn't working and started passing the ball more on first down. This opened up our passing game and gave Dre the chance to have a huge game.
Houston only ran the ball 13 times vs the Jets compared to 33 pass attempts. Neither the pass nor the run were successful. They ran the ball 29 times compared to 39 pass attempts vs Tennessee. They ran the ball more vs the Titans. Of course they had the ball quite a bit longer vs. the Titans, too.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #18
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Houston only ran the ball 13 times vs the Jets compared to 33 pass attempts. Neither the pass nor the run were successful. They ran the ball 29 times compared to 39 pass attempts vs Tennessee. They ran the ball more vs the Titans. Of course they had the ball quite a bit longer vs. the Titans, too.
My bad. I did have a little too much to drink at the game and didn't take the time to rewatch it so my memory might be a bit hazy. It sure seemed to me like every single series was run, run, pass with no adjustments during the game.

After looking at the box score, I will say that you have to take into account we started passing the ball a lot towards the end of the game hoping we could make a comeback. Also, we only ran 48 total plays to the Jets 73. I think I am right about what I saw but we were so terrible that we didn't even have the chance to run that many plays.
Old 09-23-2009   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
My bad. I did have a little too much to drink at the game and didn't take the time to rewatch it so my memory might be a bit hazy. It sure seemed to me like every single series was run, run, pass with no adjustments during the game.

After looking at the box score, I will say that you have to take into account we started passing the ball a lot towards the end of the game hoping we could make a comeback. Also, we only ran 48 total plays to the Jets 73. I think I am right about what I saw but we were so terrible that we didn't even have the chance to run that many plays.
I haven't re-watched the game either, but like I said: nothing the Texans did vs. the Jets was successful. It seemed like every time Schaub dropped back to pass he was getting pressured. The running game wasn't successful either, but they only handed it off to the RB 12 times (Schaub ran it once). The difference in the Titans game is that the passing game was successful, and Schaub had the time in the pocket to pass the ball. Play calling will always look good when you have time back there, and will always look bad when you don't.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #20
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I haven't re-watched the game either, but like I said: nothing the Texans did vs. the Jets was successful. It seemed like every time Schaub dropped back to pass he was getting pressured. The running game wasn't successful either, but they only handed it off to the RB 12 times (Schaub ran it once). The difference in the Titans game is that the passing game was successful, and Schaub had the time in the pocket to pass the ball. Play calling will always look good when you have time back there, and will always look bad when you don't.
Can't argue with that. That being said, what do you think the big difference was between the Jets and Titans game? Do you think the Jets are just THAT good? Do you think the Titans secondary is just THAT bad? Or do you think the gameplan for the Jets game was just THAT bad?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read