Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2009   #1
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default League defends JJ's TD catch.

PFT has an issue with the rule......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...xans-panthers/

Quote:
Specifically, in similar situations during Week Two, the Texans and the Panthers each got to keep a touchdown when, based on the letter of the rule that robbed the Raiders, it looked to us like they shouldn't.
Quote:
"On Jacoby Jones, he caught the ball, his knee hit the ground, and he maintained possession," Aiello added. "Then the Titans player flipped him over the top and [Jones] hit the ground a second time and lost the ball. But it was already a touchdown by virtue of maintaining possession the first time he hit the ground."
Quote:
As to Jones, the only difference was that, before Jones could naturally land on the ground, he was flipped and tossed to the ground by the Tennessee defender. But, in our view, Jones was still in the act of going to the ground. So he needed to keep possession until he landed on the ground. Clearly, he didn't.

Bottom line? This gap in the rule and the interpretation of it needs to be addressed and resolved, quickly. In the perception of this neutral third party who if anything is naturally inclined to support the league's position on things of this nature, either the Murphy call was wrong, or the calls from Sunday were wrong.
Old 09-22-2009   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: League defends JJ's TD catch.

I need to see the Murphy play.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #3
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

He had possession and his knee hit the ground. Then he got flipped over. Then his ELBOW hit the ground. THEN the ball fell loose. Not once, but twice he had possession in the end zone with a body part on the ground (remember Reggie Wayne's calf-on-the-ground catch?) before the ball fell loose. Easy call. That's a completion. Twice.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Well with their explanation he was down at the 2 or 1 then.
Old 09-22-2009   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
He had possession and his knee hit the ground. Then he got flipped over. Then his ELBOW hit the ground. THEN the ball fell loose. Not once, but twice he had possession in the end zone with a body part on the ground (remember Reggie Wayne's calf-on-the-ground catch?) before the ball fell loose. Easy call. That's a completion. Twice.
I agree. That was a great catch.
Old 09-22-2009   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The ball broke the plane when his knee was on the ground. Touchdown.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But the ball was over the goalline.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2009   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have a twisted way of interpreting information. Why would he be down at the 2 or the 1? The ball crossed the goal line when his knee touched the ground.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
That's a completion. Twice.
I was posting on another forum when that TD happened. I told them that JJ was down about 4 times before the ball came loose.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #10
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying this is HoustonFrog or not, but this rule confuses a lot of people. The spot goes where the BALL is when the player is down, not WHERE THE PLAYER'S BODY TOUCHES THE GROUND.

I didn't understand that rule for years, and I still know a lot of people that think the opposite is true.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I need to see the Murphy play.
The Murphy touchdown was insane to overturn. His catch looked more of a TD than Jacoby's.

The league seriously messed up on the Raiders game.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pleasantly surprised when the review stood as a TD. IMO, it was dicey as to JJ having "possession" of the ball. I've seen calls overturned in similar situations.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Once the ball breaks the plane, it is a TD and what happens after that is irrelevant.

I'd like to see the Raiders play for comparison, though. It sounds like the league screwed the pooch with that call, but I don't know until I see it.
Old 09-22-2009   #14
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when the review stood as a TD. IMO, it was dicey as to JJ having "possession" of the ball. I've seen calls overturned in similar situations.
I was the same way. After seeing the first replay, I told my wife the TD would be over-ruled. Thankfully it went our way.
Old 09-22-2009   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
You have a twisted way of interpreting information. Why would he be down at the 2 or the 1? The ball crossed the goal line when his knee touched the ground.
How am I twisted? Breaking the plane before you are down equals TD. We all know that. From the replays I kept seeing the other day he didn't look like he had yet. Announcers said the same. Just my interpretation. Lose the attitude.
Old 09-22-2009   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Once the ball breaks the plane, it is a TD and what happens after that is irrelevant.

I'd like to see the Raiders play for comparison, though. It sounds like the league screwed the pooch with that call, but I don't know until I see it.
I don't believe that is the case on a catch IN the endzone. The receiver should have to maintain control until ruled down by contact. What saved JJ is the fact that he had possession when his knee hit the 1st time and was considered down by contact. The whole play looked iffy to me and I feel fortunate that it was ruled in our favor.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I found it on You Tube.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't believe that is the case on a catch IN the endzone. The receiver should have to maintain control until ruled down by contact. What saved JJ is the fact that he had possession when his knee hit the 1st time and was considered down by contact. The whole play looked iffy to me and I feel fortunate that it was ruled in our favor.
Exactly. The ball broke the plane and his knee made him officially down, so after that point it did not matter what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I found it on You Tube.
Thanks for the link.

O.k., I remember that play live, and I do not see it as the same as the JJ catch, because he was never down. I don't see the comparisons that people are making. He never maintained possession, where JJ did maintain it with his knee touching the ground.

I think the league was right on both calls. Good job refs.
Old 09-22-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
PFT has an issue with the rule......
Seems to me Aeillo is spot on and the PFT guy isn't listening. Yes he had to maintain possession to the ground. He did once. The rule doesn't say he had to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
The Murphy touchdown was insane to overturn. His catch looked more of a TD than Jacoby's.

The league seriously messed up on the Raiders game.
After watching that youtube video, that looks like the right call.

Quote:
No, he did have to maintain possession to the ground once, just not twice.

Last edited by infantrycak; 09-22-2009 at 11:48 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, he did have to maintain possession to the ground once, just not twice.
yeah, I should have said that once the ball breaks the plane and possession is established, it is a TD and what happens after that is irrelevant.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read