Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronicle: "We can't run, and we can't stop the run"

Today's article in the Houston Chronicle should bring a few of us back to earth.

Quote:
One day after his team accomplished two of his goals— winning on the road and winning in the AFC South — coach Gary Kubiak still could not enjoy the Texans' 34-31 victory at Tennessee.

“We've got a lot of things we're going to have to improve to give ourselves a chance to win week in and week out,” Kubiak said Monday. “We did some good things, but we're just making some big mistakes.

“We've got a lot of problems we've got to work out to give ourselves a fair chance to win (consistently).”

What makes the victory at Tennessee even more improbable is that the Texans could not run the ball and couldn't stop the run. They ran 29 times for 63 yards, a 2.2-yard average. They allowed the Titans to run for 240 yards on 26 carries, a 9.2-yard average.

“We're last in the league in running the ball, and we're last in the league at stopping the run,” Kubiak said. “Historically in this league, you're not going to be successful if you can't run and you can't stop the run. We're as poor as we can be in those two phases.”
There's no other way to put this. They lucked out winning that game. They lucked out in so many ways, it's not funny. From not stopping the run, to not being able to run, to Jacoby's muffed punt, to Collins coughing it up in the end. Like they say, it's better to be lucky than good.

But if they can't run, or stop the run against the Jags or the Raiders, do you really think we'll continue to get that lucky?

I actually think stopping the run will be less and less of an issue as more games are played. There are talented people on defense, but they haven't played that much together as a unit. Once everyone figures out where they are supposed to be consistently on every play, the problem should resolve itself.

Offensively, that is another story. This is the same unit that played together all of last year. I'm not sure what Steve Slaton's problem is, but it's to the point where I don't care. He's running behind the same line as he was last year. But whatever, I hope Kubiak moves on with this and gives the ball to Moats. He ran the ball better than Slaton in preseason. I think it's time Moats gets some carries, if anything to narrow down where the problem really is . . . Slaton or the O-line.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chronicle: "We can't run, and we can't stop the run"

umm not alot of people can run on the jets and Titans ... calm down Kubes everyone wants to run the ball yes lets eork on that but intill then everyone knows our Team main skill point is throwing the ball if u wanted to run the ball kubes u should have singed a pricey F/A Running back or drafting a high pick RB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #3
Texans#1Fan
Rookie

Yeah, but slaton needs to get more yardage especially after last years performance. Also, the Defense needs to step up and get going or we are going to be the worst team in the NFL.
Texans#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
umm not alot of people can run on the jets and Titans ... calm down Kubes everyone wants to run the ball yes lets eork on that but intill then everyone knows our Team main skill point is throwing the ball if u wanted to run the ball kubes u should have singed a pricey F/A Running back or drafting a high pick RB
How does that explain why Slaton could run the ball well last year, and not now?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

last year it took intill wk 3 for slaton to emerge

he had nothing the pitts game avid that was his first NFL game

and wk 2 he was running from Ike that didnt count

in wk 3 he did run for 116 yds agansit the titans yeah odd he couldnt do that agian this year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #6
BrandonLwowski
Veteran

Rep Power: 54 BrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandonLwowski is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda disagree on the fact that we can't stop the run. I think in the last two games we did a pretty good job stoping the run. Lets look at the jets game. the score was 10-0 at half. Jets really couldnt get there run game started. Then they bust out the big 30 yard run for a td. And the titians game they ran a little more but if u take away the 50 and 90 yard run Johnson didnt run that good. i think the major problem is stopping the big plays. with ryans, cushing, mario and are tough dline i think we will be fine in stopping the run in future games.
BrandonLwowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #7
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, we have gone against two of the best teams that run the ball well and stop the run. We should seem some improvement in both departments these next few weeks.
Old 09-22-2009   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I actually think stopping the run will be less and less of an issue as more games are played. There are talented people on defense, but they haven't played that much together as a unit. Once everyone figures out where they are supposed to be consistently on every play, the problem should resolve itself.

Offensively, that is another story. This is the same unit that played together all of last year. I'm not sure what Steve Slaton's problem is, but it's to the point where I don't care. He's running behind the same line as he was last year. But whatever, I hope Kubiak moves on with this and gives the ball to Moats. He ran the ball better than Slaton in preseason. I think it's time Moats gets some carries, if anything to narrow down where the problem really is . . . Slaton or the O-line.
We have an interesting contrast in perspectives.

I think that the Texans will get it together and run the ball well this year, precisely because it us the same unit that ran well last year. I also credit the defenses they've faced for taking away the running game.

I think the defense will have problems all year because of their play last year and the very bad performances this year.

We will know more in a few games.
Old 09-22-2009   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 09-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to side more with AJ's perspective on our defensive woes:
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email
Quote:
Obviously the Texans run defense has to get itself in order quickly. It's an vexing problem since the Texans are having a fair amount of success stuffing the run, but about one in every eight or nine plays, something bad happens.

To us Monday Night Quarterbacks, it's easy to see why the team has given up so many huge running plays.

When you load up the line like the Texans have been, it's imperative that the first wave of defenders make the stop before the ball carrier hits the second level, because there's not much help back there.

One thing for sure is that Frank Bush's defense is far less forgiving than what we're used to, especially if a linebacker misses an assignment. But I'm intrigued by what it can do if it's working according to plan.

Despite the gaffes, there are flashes of goodness that we've seen with this Texans defense and with the pressure it's bringing.

Remember, it took Buddy Ryan five weeks to get our defense squared away back in '93.
Our defense seems to be a Jekyll and Hyde defense that stops you on negative plays and backs you up on third and longs, and then gives it up to you on that third and long.

It's not to say that the defense will definitely turn it around, but it can be as encouraging as it is discouraging.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the Titans' yardage came on draws and screens ON 3RD DOWNS.
We solve the third down problem the defense will be stout. Tennessee
did a good job of recognizing when Connor Barwin is in the game, the
defense is thinking PASS.

You take an aggressive pass rush, plus the fastest man in the NFL, give
him a draw or screen, that equals a big cup of GOOD BYE.

I have faith they'll get this shit fixed. Hell, Cushing started sniffing it
out when they realized he CAN play three downs. Between Cushing,
Demeco, and Diles, you got three SMART, talented run stoppers.

They'll get it fixed. The fact they could screw up as much as they did,
and still win ON THE ROAD speaks volumes about the direction this
team is headed in. I expect them to spank the Jags, due to the
lesson they've learned from the Raiders game last year. They'd better
be looking for draws and screens on all these third and longs they're
forcing.

Their run defense stats are out of whack, because most of the yardage
is coming on third and LONG. That's just stupid mental mistakes, not
so much the scheme, that's killing the squad. Fix that shit, we win
10-12 games.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLwowski View Post
I kinda disagree on the fact that we can't stop the run. I think in the last two games we did a pretty good job stoping the run. Lets look at the jets game. the score was 10-0 at half. Jets really couldnt get there run game started. Then they bust out the big 30 yard run for a td. And the titians game they ran a little more but if u take away the 50 and 90 yard run Johnson didnt run that good. i think the major problem is stopping the big plays. with ryans, cushing, mario and are tough dline i think we will be fine in stopping the run in future games.
Those long runs still count though. Sorry but I hate when people discount long runs against the stats and say the defense was good besides them. The fact is there are serious breakdowns when people break runs so they are just as disconcerting to me overall. That would be like Titan fan saying if they had called the two late hits out of bounds, given us the fumble and Kerry hadn't fumbled we would have won by 21 points.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-22-2009 at 11:06 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

im not overly concerned with either problem given who we've faced so far this season & given that slatons big games last year v the titans were the result of greatness on his part- getting away from 2 or 3 guys. somehow staying up after being tripped etc

defensively we can stop the run. id guess we've had more TFL's & no gains so far this season than we had in over 8 games last season when we couldnt stop the run. its just those two monster plays we give up a game due to young guys making mistakes & being in the wrong position. hopefully that should stop as they get more experience

i think those stats are partly down to who we've played so far but i like what kubiak is doing- giving each unit something to keep them focused where they might otherwise nod off against a jags team that doesnt look up to much this year
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Today's article in the Houston Chronicle should bring a few of us back to earth.

There's no other way to put this. They lucked out winning that game. They lucked out in so many ways, it's not funny.

I think the Titans were lucky they didn't lose by 20. We outplayed them, most of the game.
Old 09-22-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
im not overly concerned with either problem given who we've faced so far this season & given that slatons big games last year v the titans were the result of greatness on his part- getting away from 2 or 3 guys. somehow staying up after being tripped etc

defensively we can stop the run. id guess we've had more TFL's & no gains so far this season than we had in nearly 16 games last season when we couldnt stop the run. its just those two monster plays we give up a game due to young guys making mistakes & being in the wrong position. hopefully that should stop as they get more experience

i think those stats are partly down to who we've played so far but i like what kubiak is doing- giving each unit something to keep them focused where they might otherwise nod off against a jags team that doesnt look up to much this year
My budy and I looked it up, Demeco is on pace to have more TFL this year than his whole career. That's a big difference.
Old 09-22-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Those long runs still count though. Sorry but I hate when people discountlong runs against the stats and say the defense was good besides them. The fact is there are serious breakdowns when people break runs so they are just as disconcerting to me overall. that would be like Titan fan saying if they had called the two late hits out of bounds, given us the fumble and Kerry hadn't fumbled we would have won by 21 points.
Well, I think the general idea is that, when viewing trends and patterns, it is more encouraging to have a defense that can stop the run for no or negative gains on most plays and give up a big run once every 10 plays than to have a defense who gets constantly gashed for 4 or 5 yards.

The idea is that, this early in the season, you might have the time and the capability to eventually stop that 10th play that goes big for no yards like you do the previous nine plays, whereas there is no glimmer of hope for a defense that is constantly giving up 4-5 yards.

Though, obviously the defense has to make that improvement at some point or it's no better.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think the Titans were lucky they didn't lose by 20. We outplayed them, most of the game.
Disagree. On 2 Titan drives getting near midfield the Texans got away with 2 blatant shots out of bounds. The Jacoby fumble, etc. I'm not sure how you can say that when a defense leaves a guy wide open sitting by the sidelines. Not complaining, just saying.
Old 09-22-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those long runs still count though. Sorry but I hate when people discountlong runs against the stats and say the defense was good besides them. The fact is there are serious breakdowns when people break runs so they are just as disconcerting to me overall. that would be like Titan fan saying if they had called the two late hits out of bounds, given us the fumble and Kerry hadn't fumbled we would have won by 21 points.
I agree. Heck, people were saying how Slaton was the only RB that successfully ran on the titans last season. Well, if you take away the 50 yarder he had in Tenn he would've only had 66 yards. Take away the 34 yarder in the game we won he would've had 66 yards. So it goes both ways.
Old 09-22-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Disagree. On 2 Titan drives getting near midfield the Texans got away with 2 blatant shots out of bounds. The Jacoby fumble, etc. I'm not sure how you can say that when a defense leaves a guy wide open sitting by the sidelines. Not complaining, just saying.
Other than the three long plays, the Titans never moved the ball. How can you NOT say we dominated that game? I don't discount long runs, but I know for sure that our D played better than the yards they gave up. The Titans couldn't sustain anything on offense. They burned us on three long plays, missed assignments by young players. We did not get lucky and fall into a win, IMO.
Old 09-22-2009   #20
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

It would have been nice if the Texans would have signed Cedric Benson when they had the chance. The guy had another great game yesterday up in Green Bay. You can't have enough depth at RB. The Giants have proven that to me with all the backs they are rotating out there.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read