Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-14-2005   #21
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, I would take Travis Taylor before Kevin Johnson.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
I would really like to see us get someone in the slot who can burn. I remember Gaff getting chased down in the Chicago game and thinking "was he jogging?" I think we would see a lot more big plays if we got some speed in the slot. Lots of YAC, sorta like what Stokley does to us.
Here is some good stuff from Lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Some interest stats regarding Gaffney in '04:

5.3 Yards After Catch average (YAC) - 8th among WRs with 40+ catches
21 1st down receptions on 3rd down - 7th in NFL (21 3rd down catches/21 1st downs)
82.9 1st down/catch % ( 34/41 ) - 6th in the NFL

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

A slot reciever can be dangerous . Its about match ups . I think Gaffney is more quick than fast . I quess WRs have to have straight ahead speed . Yo Vinny when are ya'll going to have the message board trivia tournement ? You can settle this knowledge thing once and for all . I'm betting the farm a 21 yr. can't beat me .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #24
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Insert QB in WR's place.

Boller isn't as bad as most would think.
Old 02-14-2005   #25
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I don't blame Johnson for wanting to leave. He had Boller tossing him the ball. I think he could do well in Houston if only because of his familiarity with Palmer's offense. If he could be had for a reasonable salary then I'd be all for it, but something about his history makes me think he'll be wanting more around the lines of #1 WR money. Guess we'll have to see what happens to Joey Porter first since he's likely to set the market for WR. Hopefully we don't have a run like last year when CBs were in high demand, and garnered more money than they likely should have gotten from teams desperate for decent CBs.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #26
jagfan29
Rookie

KJ is a solid WR,he is not a burner but why do you need a burner when you have Andre Johnson.KJ is a good possesion WR that would complement AJ nicely.
jagfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #27
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Those stats are pretty good. Did Gaff play more #2 or slot this past season?
Old 02-14-2005   #28
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Those stats are pretty good. Did Gaff play more #2 or slot this past season?
Slot. Bradford was at the #2.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #29
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Slot. Bradford was at the #2.
I thought Gaff played #2 alot this year, at least when Bradford was injured. Gaff is listed as #2 on the final depth chart.
Old 02-14-2005   #30
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
I thought Gaff played #2 alot this year, at least when Bradford was injured. Gaff is listed as #2 on the final depth chart.
It was off and on. I remember some instances where Armstrong was lined up as the #2. The only set WR was AJ at #1.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #31
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Somebody correct me if I am wrong as I know someone will.
I thought the slot recievers needed to be able to read the defense and run fluid routes to the open areas. Speed is overrated for this particular role.

BTW. I think the best WR who could have played the slot position may have been Steve Largent.

Last edited by rittenhouserobz; 02-14-2005 at 02:40 PM.
rittenhouserobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Another guy who was great in the slot was the Oilers' Drew Hill. He would always find the open crease for Moon on 3rd down. I would love for Carr to have a guy like that. Gaffney & Armstrong have that type of potential, it just takes time.

Regarding KJ, he & McNabb were college roomies at Syracuse and have been crying about getting together for years. Don't know what Andy Reid thinks of Johnson, but the Eagles will have an opening soon when they release Fred-Ex. My guess is that Kevin ends up in Philly.
Old 02-14-2005   #33
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Regarding KJ, he & McNabb were college roomies at Syracuse and have been crying about getting together for years. Don't know what Andy Reid thinks of Johnson, but the Eagles will have an opening soon when they release Fred-Ex. My guess is that Kevin ends up in Philly.
I'm pretty sure he will take less money to play with the Eagles too
Old 02-14-2005   #34
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well let me put it this way...would you turn away a talented reciever who wants to come and play...no...if he wants to come here and play for the vet. minimum then i say let him
Old 02-14-2005   #35
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Clarence Moore was getting most of the starts at #2 the second half of the season so I'm not sure if that's a function of KJ's skills eroding, his attitude (due to Billick's system), his work ethic or what. All of the above would be red flags to me.

His next team will be his 4th in 3 seasons so that's not a good sign. If he's willing to give up $$$ to get on a winner immediately, he may be feeling that he's on the downside and wants to go somewhere (like Philly) where he has a legit shot at a ring. If that's the case it doesn't seem likely that he would want to come here, even with the Palmer factor.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #36
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Kevin Johnson suffers from a severe case of Pinkston-itis. He would rather fall 1 yard short of the first down marker than take a hit and fight for that extra yard. Plus he is a terrible run blocker. Gaffney and Armstrong are better than him IMO.
Old 02-14-2005   #37
astrofan
Veteran

I would rather have BigPlayTrey Haverty for a slot receiver
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #38
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

KJ has a very nice set of hands, and I can't say that I see any problem with him being your slot guy or maybe a #2. True he won't block, thats why he was cut from cleveland. But I never saw this pinkston problem, and I seriously think you are blowing it out of proportion
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #39
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Clarence Moore was getting most of the starts at #2 the second half of the season so I'm not sure if that's a function of KJ's skills eroding, his attitude (due to Billick's system), his work ethic or what. All of the above would be red flags to me.

His next team will be his 4th in 3 seasons so that's not a good sign. If he's willing to give up $$$ to get on a winner immediately, he may be feeling that he's on the downside and wants to go somewhere (like Philly) where he has a legit shot at a ring. If that's the case it doesn't seem likely that he would want to come here, even with the Palmer factor.
May have more to do with Moore. while not consistent he was a tough red-zone match up and score at least 4 TDS in a relative small amount of playing time.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #40
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ numbers have started to go down after his 1000 yard season and on top of that he is injury prone!! I would rather draft Mike Williams from USC or Edwards from Mich. before I would sign Ravens leftovers!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read