Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-22-2009   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of this generation

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. The biggest question since who was 1 or 1a.

No 1/1a bullhonky. 14:53 seconds of offense and he wins his 119th all time? Very respectful and humble in taking down a legend, one in his own organization even. Is there any wonder why this guy is so well liked? Aside from facing him twice a year I think he's probably the player I respect the most in the entire league.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of this generation

Peyton is the best player in the league and has been for at least 5 years...probably more. He is the smartest and craftiest player, he is like a coach on the field, and he knows the rules and uses them to his advantage more than any other player I have ever seen.

In my eyes, he is the best quarterback to ever play the game. Montana won more but Manning is better. Elway had better arm and speed but Manning is better.

That being said, I hate the guy and hope he goes away soon. He has been kicking our Texans tails for too long and he needs to just go ahead and retire. I think he will still be around for another 5 years though.
Old 09-22-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Peyton is the best player in the league and has been for at least 5 years...probably more. He is the smartest and craftiest player, he is like a coach on the field, and he knows the rules and uses them to his advantage more than any other player I have ever seen.

In my eyes, he is the best quarterback to ever play the game. Montana won more but Manning is better. Elway had better arm and speed but Manning is better.

That being said, I hate the guy and hope he goes away soon. He has been kicking our Texans tails for too long and he needs to just go ahead and retire. I think he will still be around for another 5 years though.
No. Montana was just as smart, crafty and efficient. He just won. Uncanny. Manning is up there, just not Montana in my book. I think Manning needs another SB to get near him. Also, if you read MMQB by Peter King this week he has his own list...don't agree with all but he has it. He says a similar thing about Manning and championships. People have to remember too that he was quite Romo-like or whomever you want to use in the playoffs at the start of his run. But he is incredible overall

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/mmqb/4.html

Quote:
1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

7. John Elway. Two titles, though they came late, capped the career of a Unitas-type with legs.

8. Dan Marino. Prototype dropback quarterback who, arguably, was the model for the pocket quarterback of the last 40 years.

9. Roger Staubach. Might be the best player/athlete/leader of a quarterback ever, and he edges Steve Young in my book with a second title and three more title-game appearances.

10. Tom Brady. Three Super Bowl wins by age 27, and a fourth appearance at 30.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #4
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

That was unreal. Too bad for Chad Pennington that Ted Ginn can't catch a pass, Fins should have won that game.

But it's hard to disagree with the OP.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Time Killer, baby this MB has a strict drug testing policy!NEITHER of these ladies can hold a candle to Mr. Ben Roethlissbuger! Big Ben can organize and move an offense. He has a cannon for an arm, can RUN up the middle as well as a full back and can deliver punishing blocks like a tightend. I'll Give Mr. Manning his due, I'll begrudingly admit that Brady has skills, but face it if either of these guys were playing circa 1970-80 something they would have been mediocre at best. Ben is a throwback to the tough QB's of the 70's and 80s. Those two other cats are noteworthy, but they can't polish Ben's second ring...YET!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 140315 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
No. Montana was just as smart, crafty and efficient. He just won. Uncanny. Mannign is up there, just not Montana in my book. I think Manning needs another SB to get near him. Also, if you read MMQB by Peter King this week he has his own list...don't agree with all but he has it. He says a similar thing about Manning and championships. People have to remember too that he was quite Romo-like or whomever you want to use in the playoffs at the start of his run. But he is incredible overall

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...20/mmqb/4.html
What about:

Norm "The Dutchman" VanBrockman?

Terry Bradshaw

Mr. Warren Moon

Bart Star?

I'll say Brady is good, but I'll be cold & dead in the ground before I EVER call him great. He and Beli-cheat are a huge pimple on the rectum of the sport of football who don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the REAL greats of the game.
That list left a LOT of talented people out.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 09-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
He and Beli-cheat are a huge pimple on the rectum of the sport of football
Way too early to read something like that.
Old 09-22-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

He still has a huge forehead. You could watch a movie off that sucker
Old 09-22-2009   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton is money. And I remember when he came out of Tennessee people were wondering if he was going to be any better than Ryan Leaf...wondering if the Colts made the right pick?

Guess they did.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #10
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

As an old guy growing up watching Bart Starr, Unitas and the rest, I'll put Peyton Manning up there with any of them. I agree with someone earlier, he's the best player in the NFL for the past 5 years. Unfortunately for us, we have to face him twice a year.
Old 09-22-2009   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat View Post
As an old guy growing up watching Bart Starr, Unitas and the rest, I'll put Peyton Manning up there with any of them. I agree with someone earlier, he's the best player in the NFL for the past 5 years. Unfortunately for us, we have to face him twice a year.
You're not that old..I can say that cause I'm right there with ya...

I do remember those old timers myself along with guys like Roman Gabriel and Ken Anderson...and do you remember Jim Hart with the Cards?

I think Peyton is better than all of them myself.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm partial to Brady, but it's tough to argue against Manning. The dude is the offensive coordinator on the field, which hearkens back to the old days of the NFL. He has an amazing mind for the game and obviously very talented in physical skills.

I know I will be able to tell my grandkids about seeing Manning in person quite a few times. He's a no brainer HoF player, and that says a lot when you can say that in the prime of his career.

I just wish he was an NFC QB!!!
Old 09-22-2009   #13
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[An initial nitpick: the question was about Manning's generation, not all time. In my mind, the only guys up for discussion currently playing or who had substantial overlap with Manning's pro career are Brady and Roethlisberger.]

I look at it this way: where would their respective teams be without them?

The Patriots were 11-5 last year playing a QB who hadn't started a game since high school. Brady is a monster QB, but he's had the benefit of playing on an indisputably great team his entire career.

The Steeler defense would pull just about any offense into the playoff picture.

If an average QB started taking snaps in Indy, I doubt that team wins five games.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe the rings don't match the talent (yet anyway) but Manning is unparalleled in skill IMO
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami just saw what we've been putting up with for 7 years now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny how peoples opinions change with each game. For the past 2-3 years people would start threads, and the media would club us over the head with Brady being better than Manning because he was winning games and superbowls.

2 games into the 09 season Manning is the shit and Brady is shit. And here come the threads and media talking about Manning being the best.

When both Manning and Brady retire then we can decide who is best. Why do we need to pick a winner while they are both still in the prime of their careers...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
When both Manning and Brady retire then we can decide who is best. Why do we need to pick a winner while they are both still in the prime of their careers...

What does it matter? It's really a meaningless discussion. They're both great QB's who've done great things. Saying this guy is better than that guy is just mental masturbation. Everyone is going to have an opinion and most of them are right* even if they're different.

* The ones that are wrong involve VY.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #18
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think Brady is the better QB.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What does it matter? It's really a meaningless discussion. They're both great QB's who've done great things. Saying this guy is better than that guy is just mental masturbation. Everyone is going to have an opinion and most of them are right* even if they're different.

* The ones that are wrong involve VY.
Agreed. But for the people who like to list them, or label them, that would be the time to do it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I'm still taking a healthy Tom Brady over Peyton........I've seen Manning play horribly in too many playoff games and that's where it matters. Also not only Brady in the Playoffs, it's getting to the point where I might even take Ben Roethlisberger over him if I needed to win a big playoff game.

Frankly the Colts should've had more than just 1 SB victory during their run....and it wasn't just the defense that stopped them, Peyton has laid multiple eggs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read