Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-14-2005   #1
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our TEs + Heath Miller

Howdy Ya'll,

I'm back in the states (Baltimore) for short trip and was thinking about our #1 and our TE situation. If you look at the really good teams most of them have at least 1-2 great or young/developing TEs. NE and PHI are good examples, but Colts, SD are also references.

I'm thinking that David and our offense might truly benefit from a stud like Heath Miller (6-5, 255). He could help our pass and run game, take heat of AJ and give Carr another outlet besides DD in short passing game.

Thoughts? Gotta go to work.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I understand, Joppru is healthy and working out. Supposedly he was healthy enough to play last year but he was not in football shape and probably wouldn't have gotten PT and the team didn't want to rob a roster spot. I am optimistic he plays this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Thats what I heard also but its hard to tell anybody on this board that, lol. I believe he will be back next season.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand being pessimistic on Joppru. You have good reason, and I would still love to see us add another quality TE in the draft. Miller, Miami's Everett, or Driessen would be nice additions because most good offenses have solid TE's and Bruenner and Miller is likely the weakest combo in the NFL.

Old 02-14-2005   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Two good TEs that can block AND catch is a real good thing. Two young ones that will be around a few years is even better. I have no problem with taking one in the draft, just not real enthused about using the 1st pick for one. Second round "OK", but third would be more to my liking.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TEs are complimentary players . Thats why they don't command the big bucks . Tony Gonzales held out to be paid like a WR . To say our offense won't function or we can't be a playoff without a TE is pushing it . You notice all good recieving TEs have a good running game also . Whats that tell ya .
The team has age issues on the defensive side of the ball . That needs to be addressed before we spend another high pick on a TE .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I think TEs are complimentary players.
Tell that to the Colts, Chiefs or Patriots. They all feature two TE sets and all three have used high picks on TE's the last few years when they already had solid TE's on the roster.

Traditional blocking TE's like Pittsburgh uses or guys like Bruenner get paid like Guards to because they are one dimensional.

Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2005   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They all can run the ball . The Chiefs use their TE the most and we beat them . They also have one of the top three OLs in the NFL . The other two teams added that piece of the puzzle in the last to years except for Pollard . Dalls Clark , Daniel Graham ,and Ben Watson are the high round picks you refer to . Are you saying the Colts TEs would be good without James , Harrison , and Wayne and an OL . I'm thinkin noooo .
Old 02-14-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Talent is talent. Yes, I think Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard can play, with or without James or Harrison.

Kris Wilson was a first day pick by the Chiefs when they had the best TE in the world in Gonzo, the Colts just drafted a first day TE last year when they had Pollard and Clark (Hartsock), and Ben Wilson and Daniel Graham were both first round draft picks the last few years. If the TE wasn't that important these top teams would never have chosen one so high, much less invest multiple first or second rd picks on one.

Old 02-14-2005   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

My point is this . That they have the cake made , now they ice it (red cause its valentines day ) the TEs are the springles . If we had Dallas Clark last year how many more wins would we have . Ok Clark and Graham we'd probably be 7-9 .
Old 02-14-2005   #11
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Marcus Pollard will be a UFA this off-season. Maybe the front office will try to sign him
Old 02-14-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
My point is this . That they have the cake made , now they ice it (red cause its valentines day ) the TEs are the springles . If we had Dallas Clark last year how many more wins would we have . Ok Clark and Graham we'd probably be 7-9 .
Part of the reason we struggle is because we do not have productive TE's

Old 02-14-2005   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Until we block somebody we're going to have underproductive QBs , RBs, WRs to. I'm not saying our TEs are good . I'm saying we need to hope Joppru is what CC thought . I believe our OL and DL are a higher priority . If you address these and the BPA is a TE go for it .
Old 02-14-2005   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Our problems are solved . Jose Canseco is 6 .04 and weighs 250 lbs and runs a 4.3 in the 40 . Plus he's all natural . He is the answer , big ,fast a real leader in the club house .
Old 02-14-2005   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Part of the reason we struggle is because we do not have productive TE's
I agree. If we had a quality TE that was equally good at blocking and receiving we'd have faired better against opponents who featured the cover two. Also, it would have given us another threat in the red zone to go to besides AJ. AJ started to dissappear towards the end of the year because teams started rolling coverage to his side. Sort of what they do for TO. They have a CB playing him man to man, a safety over the top, and they roll a linebacker up underneath him. With a quality TE we could help to draw that LB away from AJ. The interior of the OLine is definately a problem, and it needs to be addressed. IMO I think Pitts should improve at LG next season, and McKinney will likely be the opening day starter at C even if we pick up a guy like Baas. Wiegert will likely be a starter too, but might be pushed by a young guy like Baas for PT. A solid #2 WR is a need as well, but I feel that we may be able to develop either Gaffney or Armstrong into that strong #2 WR. We could spend a high pick on a young stud WR, but then we'd have to develop him anyway. The other option is finding one in FA, but most guys with stats are going to want big money. Of course there are always a few bargains to be had in free agency as well. IF Joppru is healthy enough to play next season, and say we take a Heath Miller or Kevin Everett then we'd be in good shape at the TE position for years to come. Defenses would no longer be able to determine if it was a run or pass by the TE we have on the field. When we're facing a Freeney or a Jason Taylor we know that we can put a TE out there to help out the OT, and we can be assured that he'll actually help the OT instead of just being pushed aside like a ragdoll.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think yall are giving a little too much credit to Heath Miller. He is a fine TE no doubt. But he is not an elite. And history backs me up when I say that if you are not an elite TE coming out of college you wont go top 20 99% of the time.

RD 1 Pick 9 Brady, Kyle TE Penn State
RD 1 Pick 27 Bruener, Mark TE Washington

RD 1 Pick 9 Dudley, Rickey TE Ohio State

RD 1 Pick 13 Gonzalez, Tony TE California
RD 1 Pick 22 LaFleur, David TE Louisiana State

RD 1 Pick 14 Franks, Bubba TE Miami
RD 1 Pick 27 Becht, Anthony TE West Virginia

RD 1 Pick 31 Heap, Todd TE Arizona State

RD 1 Pick 14 Shockey, Jeremy TE Miami
RD 1 Pick 21 Graham, Daniel TE Colorado
RD 1 Pick 28 Stevens, Jerramy TE Washington

RD 1 Pick 24 Dallas Clark TE Iowa

RD 1 Pick 6 Kellen Winslow TE Miami
RD 1 Pick 32 Ben Watson TE Georgia

The only way I think the Texans would get Heath is if they drop down. He is NOT an elite TE.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

DC , very good post . I count 4 or 5 players who can turn a game from your list of 8yrs worth of drafts . OK Cleveland under Romeo decides he needs defense would you trade our 13th pick for Winslow jr. ?
Old 02-14-2005   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...would you trade our 13th pick for Winslow jr. ?
The Browns gave Winslow a $16.5 signing bonus. They can't trade Winslow without the remaining portion of the bonus counting immediately against the cap. Otherwise, I think Casserly would make that deal.
Old 02-14-2005   #19
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

He's the only legitimate "star" on the Browns, and he's yet to play a full season. I doubt Romeo would part with him.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Winslow in my meager opinion is the best tight end prospect in the last (you fill in the blank ) 10 years . If you got him at 13 he would be the BPA , even in a trade .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read