Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-21-2009   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Terry Bradshaw explains why Brees is so good (Terry is goofy, but smart on football!)

OK, whether you like the guy's antics and personality or not, makes no difference. What he says in this article is good stuff. He explains what makes a QB "good," versus just being an average QB in the NFL.

When we talk about our team, and the QB position and how the OC does or doesn't allow audibles, etc., this little excerpt from the article is (IMO) THE defining characteristic of whether a team's QB is able to consistently win.

Essentially, it's reading the coverage before the snap and being able to know where to go before you snap the ball. Schaub began clicking in the Titans game, especially in the Dreesen 4th Down catch where Dreesen was seemingly THE go-to guy as soon as the ball was snapped.

I am wondering why Matt seems to either be functioning in this manner, or failing to function in this manner--There's really not an in-between mode for the guy. He's either on fire, or sputtering. And, an oline looks a lot better when the QB is decisive and rhythmic with his decision-making. We know that a QB has to have blocking up-front, but I am beginning to lean back to the traditional mindset that says the QB can make an oline look worse than it is.

Excerpt from story:

Quote:
The Saints are running a five-set offense, and when you have a quick-minded quarterback like Brees, there is always going to be someone wide open. It's always the quarterback's job to find that open guy. That's where the great ones like Peyton Manning and Joe Montana excelled. The thing that made Joe and makes Peyton so good how is that they can recognize their formations while being able to read the defenses.

Instead of going 1-2-3 when dropping back, they would know immediately if 4 was open. Brees is a smart football quarterback like those guys. Smart quarterbacks don't really have to read, because as you are dropping back, this guy or that guy is going to be wide open. A smart quarterback can see this and predict that while over center. So many times the blitz is the answer, because the coverage is the weakness.

Great offensive coordinators like Payton know your defensive tendencies and know what you like to do against certain offensive formations. That's how they set their attacks and they also know if they dictate to you, they can get what they want on certain routes. I'm sure these last two games have been kind of fun for Payton and Brees. When I played, that's what I loved when I knew exactly what the defense was trying to do. Right now, the Saints know exactly what teams are trying to do them, but forever beating them to the punch.
There is also some really good analysis by Terry, in the article, about other NFL storylines from this past weekend. The guy is not too shabby as a writer and analyst!

Other tidbits from Terry:

1. I tell you, right now, the Jets are lot more exciting than the Giants ever thought of being.

2. (On the topic of the Cards playing better this weekend)...But what really impressed me is that they are not historically a good road team and they did this in Jacksonville, against a team that gave the Colts fits on opening Sunday. That's why nobody picked them to win today because they were in Jacksonville.
Old 09-21-2009   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Terry Bradshaw explains why Brees is so good (Terry is goofy, but smart on footba

the Jets aren't really that exciting right now. Eli Manning is quite a player, though.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read