Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What did this win do for you?
While it was nice, this doesn't mean things are going to end well 2 4.17%
It was good, but I remain a skeptic. Gonna' sit and watch the next two games. 30 62.50%
Today was great because THIS is who we will be this season. 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2009   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What does this win do for you?

OK, hardly anybody saw this coming. And we dang sure didn't see it coming after Chris Johnson gashed us a couple of time early. Pulling off this win today felt good, in the moment, but what does it do for you in terms of the next 2 games (which will cap off the first four games).

Does it make you happy today, but skeptical? Does it calm the fears you had, based on last week's opener, because you knew last week was just a bad start? Is it meaningful, or a lucky flukey horseshoe and rabbit's foot outcome for us today?

What were things you didn't see last week, that you saw us doing (or trying to do) this week? Was there an attitude adjustment by single players or by units out on the field that you sensed at some point? Who was one of the key players and his contributions that you felt helped turn the tide today?

And lastly, if you feel like answering this: What did you think of the playcalling on both sides of our ball?
Old 09-20-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What does this win do for you?

This win makes me look like less of a homer when I called this upset earlier in the week for one!
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #3
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

This win means that I need to take more dumps, because that was when the team started turning things around.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #4
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

this win makes me happy we don't play petersons team again! just think what ap would do against us,,,,, thank god we played him in preseason

any ways we most likely will see thim in the playoffs....

playoffs? what playoffs? were talking about playoffs?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i went there
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #5
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't make us an elite team, but a win over a division opponent on the road is always a positive.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It shows me the Texans are capable of playing and beating the better teams in the league. Do not count the Tacts out for this year, they are a good team. But the Texans hung in there and showed they can stay and fight until the end. We certainly didn't see that last week.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
This win means that I need to take more dumps, because that was when the team started turning things around.
No, it's because I started (yet soon after stopped) drinking. LOL
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2009   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

This game in addition to the Jets win over the Pats gives me a ray of hope that we could get 10 wins this season. We probably have to win the next two games at least though and as good as we played today we are still capable of losing either or both of those games. Still disappointed that we couldn't show this kind of intensity last week.

Playcalling on offense was great, I thought the screens and draws we used were fairly effective (not Chris Johnson effective) and our PA was excellent. Wish Kubiak would have thrown his flag on that Andre reception. Defensively we are playing hard but geeze, gotta stop them for 3 downs, not two. I have seen a lot of positives from this D but way more mistakes than I anticipated. Have to clean it up.
Old 09-20-2009   #9
rdroppa
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 rdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden cover

The season is a marathon not a sprint. It means we are still in the race. And it feels really good!!!!!!!:
rdroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #10
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm just thankful for a lull in the ***** and whinefest as compared to the past seven days. however brief it may be. it was a good win. and i'm still a kubiak supporter.

rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
OK, hardly anybody saw this coming. And we dang sure didn't see it coming after Chris Johnson gashed us a couple of time early. Pulling off this win today felt good, in the moment, but what does it do for you in terms of the next 2 games (which will cap off the first four games).
I saw it coming. Maybe not the way it happened, but I knew deep down this team was going to come away with the win. When we were down 21-7 I kept saying to myself "We've got 'em right where we want 'em!"

With the Jags and Faiders in our own house the next two weeks I'm feeling very 3-1'ish.

Quote:
Does it make you happy today, but skeptical? Does it calm the fears you had, based on last week's opener, because you knew last week was just a bad start? Is it meaningful, or a lucky flukey horseshoe and rabbit's foot outcome for us today?
I'm still worried about the defense only playing well on 1st and 2nd down, as well as the running game. Other than that I'm very positive.

Quote:
What were things you didn't see last week, that you saw us doing (or trying to do) this week? Was there an attitude adjustment by single players or by units out on the field that you sensed at some point? Who was one of the key players and his contributions that you felt helped turn the tide today?
The O-line looked a lot tougher this week, and really provided good pass protection. They can't open a running lane to save their lives, but they look good in pass pro.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

This win talked me off the ledge. I listened to it on the radio as I just couldn't pull myself to watch (but I did tape it).

Still saw (actually, heard) a team not ready to start and a defense that has yet to get it together. Does soften it a bet to know the Jets played the Pats pretty strong today, or at least by the outcome.

It was good to "hear" an adjustment to what the opposing team was throwing at us, though it took spotting them a few points to get it turned.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #13
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see the option "Gave me a hard-on" so I voted C.

The D gave up some big play obviously but damn, if the offense can do that every week it will be one hell of a season.
Old 09-20-2009   #14
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_NC View Post
I didn't see the option "Gave me a hard-on" so I voted C.
Great. Now I'm getting odd looks from everybody. Thanks.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't put the exact words to it that I want to right now.

So the best I can do is say that I don't think this team plays for its coach. And that has me a little skeptical for when we hit a potential rough patch in our schedule on down the line.

Now, I know we saw David Anderson and Kris Brown over there smiling at Gary and hugging Gary. Whoop-dee-do. That's expected.

I think Gary is verrrry distant or somewhat detached from the guys. He seems like a Belichick type of personality when it comes to relating to players during the games. And what does that do to guys during the week, in meetings, and the other times they are around each other? Is there a game-day Gary and a behind-the-scenes Gary? Or is the guy all alone on the sideline, staring into the horizon, the same Gary elsewhere? Does it even matter?

Early on, our oline was getting bullied and basically owned. Matt Schaub seem to never waiver. Not even when AJ dropped two passes early on. Through it all, he had that determined look in his eyes. He stayed the course when after last week it looked like it would be easy for him to bail himself.

Still, I am skeptical because we also need to know that Jacoby almost goofed up two times: The bobbled TD grab that he luckily had a knee down when he caught it, and the verrry lucky rules-stipulated botched fair catch that awarded us the ball AND extra yards to start off the drive with.

I know we've had goofy things go against us in the past, when we should have won a game we lost in a weird way, so this win is good but it doesn't dissolve my skepticism.

The Jags game, in our own home, will tell more than today did IMO. Don't get me wrong, this told us they're not dead. But next week tells us if they can do something more than the standard up-and-down inconsistency that plagues this team.
Old 09-20-2009   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

What I think this win does for the Texans is possibly save the season. Opening 0-2 would have been too tough for this team to overcome. The Titans could very well rebound and still have a good season. They have had enough success in the past to not lose their confidence. The Texans haven't.

Still, it's a "one game at a time" proposition. If the Texans come out with passion and intensity, they can win any game on the schedule. If they come out flat, any team can beat them.

I'm concerned with the lack of disciplined play on both sides of the ball. I'm still concerned with the indecisiveness on the sideline. I'm not concerned about the talent level when facing the better teams. There is enough talent here. It's time for them deliver every week.
Old 09-20-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the win is overhyped. They won and came back but overall there are still a ton of questions and the run defense was horrendous. I think they were lucky with the fumble that got caught by Jacoby. Great game for entertainment purposes but I think it made me have even more questions....1) why so bad to start the game after last week 2) defense was horrible at times 3) still some mental mistakes that could have killed them
Old 09-20-2009   #18
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Means nothing if we drop the next one to the 0-2 jags
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #19
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

It's done wonders for my blood pressure.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I can't put the exact words to it that I want to right now.

So the best I can do is say that I don't think this team plays for its coach. And that has me a little skeptical for when we hit a potential rough patch in our schedule on down the line.

Now, I know we saw David Anderson and Kris Brown over there smiling at Gary and hugging Gary. Whoop-dee-do. That's expected.

I think Gary is verrrry distant or somewhat detached from the guys. He seems like a Belichick type of personality when it comes to relating to players during the games. And what does that do to guys during the week, in meetings, and the other times they are around each other? Is there a game-day Gary and a behind-the-scenes Gary? Or is the guy all alone on the sideline, staring into the horizon, the same Gary elsewhere? Does it even matter?

Early on, our oline was getting bullied and basically owned. Matt Schaub seem to never waiver. Not even when AJ dropped two passes early on. Through it all, he had that determined look in his eyes. He stayed the course when after last week it looked like it would be easy for him to bail himself.

Still, I am skeptical because we also need to know that Jacoby almost goofed up two times: The bobbled TD grab that he luckily had a knee down when he caught it, and the verrry lucky rules-stipulated botched fair catch that awarded us the ball AND extra yards to start off the drive with.

I know we've had goofy things go against us in the past, when we should have won a game we lost in a weird way, so this win is good but it doesn't dissolve my skepticism.

The Jags game, in our own home, will tell more than today did IMO. Don't get me wrong, this told us they're not dead. But next week tells us if they can do something more than the standard up-and-down inconsistency that plagues this team.
Personally, I think they should bring the halo rule back. There was a time when a receiver on a fair catch had to be given a 2 yard cushion around them when making the catch. That Possum Holler player was in JJ's grill while he was trying to field the ball. In the old days, that right there would have drawn the flag alone.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read