Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2009   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton or Brown?

I love me some Steve Slaton like most of us here, but there is no denying that he had ball security issues today, many of them. Last week he fumbled in the RZ as well. Brown came in today and made some positive things happen. I am wondering if we will see Brown play a more prominant role, maybe even start and Slaton be more of a situational/3rd down back.

I amn not advocating anything....yet, so don't flame me, just thinking out loud. Kubiak hates not taking care of the ball, it's the fastest way to find the bench on this team. For my money, I think Shanahan will find a way to find good playing time for both, keeping those legs fresh.
Old 09-20-2009   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton or Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I love me some Steve Slaton like most of us here, but there is no denying that he had ball security issues today, many of them. Last week he fumbled in the RZ as well. Brown came in today and made some positive things happen. I am wondering if we will see Brown play a more prominant role, maybe even start and Slaton be more of a situational/3rd down back.

I amn not advocating anything....yet, so don't flame me, just thinking out loud. Kubiak hates not taking care of the ball, it's the fastest way to find the bench on this team. For my money, I think Shanahan will find a way to find good playing time for both, keeping those legs fresh.
Ouch. Last year it was Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson. Times have changed.

I expect better things from Slaton the next few games. We shall see.
Old 09-20-2009   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Ouch. Last year it was Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson. Times have changed.

I expect better things from Slaton the next few games. We shall see.
Me too, he is a resiliant young man and a gamer, he will get it turned around but it's nice to see Brown healthy and contributing.
Old 09-20-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want to win games and go to the playoffs we have to protect the ball and that message has to come across nice and clear and Steve is no exception to the rule. Start Chris Brown. Even if for a week to wake up Steve.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither!!

THROW THE GOSHDANG FOOTBALL!!!

You stay with what's working!
Old 09-20-2009   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not just ball security, his vision has gone down hill.

I'd have liked more carries for Brown in the first two games.

It doesn't matter what Slaton did last year, he is not playing well this year in all facets of the game except receiving. I'd start Brown until I see Slaton get yards consistently.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think "down hill" is a bit of an understatement ... if slaton's vision were any worse he'd need a canine assistant. obviously our line needs to step it up, but even when there are lanes slaton's unable to find them and he's started dancing around because of it. that's not even touching the fumbles which are unacceptable. brown's not the threat that slaton is but he's much more consistant, especially when our run blocking is having so much trouble. i think we should lean on brown a bit more, or even have him start games while we try to work our run game back into shape.
Old 09-21-2009   #8
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Trust me no Brown .... that guy is like glass. He will get you all excited then break your heart with some random injury.

Titan fans know to well he seem to get you all excited then disappear.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #9
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton has faced a couple of top notch lines in the league so I cut him some slack there. His fumblitis is unusual though, don't recall him doing that much last year.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Trust me no Brown .... that guy is like glass. He will get you all excited then break your heart with some random injury.

Titan fans know to well he seem to get you all excited then disappear.
Who cares, then we'll use him until he breaks.....why save him on the bench when he's healthy? What do you want us to do...save him until he gets hurt in practice? If he's healthy he needs to contribute while he's still healthy.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #11
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If we want to win games and go to the playoffs we have to protect the ball and that message has to come across nice and clear and Steve is no exception to the rule. Start Chris Brown. Even if for a week to wake up Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It's not just ball security, his vision has gone down hill.

I'd have liked more carries for Brown in the first two games.

It doesn't matter what Slaton did last year, he is not playing well this year in all facets of the game except receiving. I'd start Brown until I see Slaton get yards consistently.
Guys are jumping the gun a little too soon imo. The Texans just faced two of the top run defenses in the league. They play Jacksonville next. I would start Slaton hoping that he turns on the jets against them. That game could easily change his whole season around, but if he starts out slow against them I agree. Lets see more of Brown.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see Brown used about the same just sooner in the game. Don't wait, get him in right away and give the defense a pounding with 2 different guys. Oh and RUN BLOCK.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone prior to this last game posted that fumbling was not something new for Slaton in college.

I'd like to clarify this claim. Slaton in a loss to Louisville (44-34) had a great game, playing a little over 2 quarters........18 carries for 156 yds. He then had 2 consecutive snap fumbles which helped negatively turn the tide of the game. It turns out that just prior to these plays, he sustained a severe blow to his elbow and was unable to grip the ball. He was quickly thereafter taken out of the game.

Slaton has never left a pattern of fumbling.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We've gotta get Tom Coughlin to stop by and do whatever he did to cure Tiki Barber's fumbling problem. We cant afford to have Slaton starting if he's gonna cough up the ball every game. We might as well let Jacoby take snaps at running back!!!
Old 09-21-2009   #15
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm much more worried about the fumbles than the yards per carry.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #16
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

This will be one of the easier calls for Kubiak, if he continues to fumble he's going to have to sit.

Don't care if he has back to back 100 yard games and running over people if he continues to fumble then he'll have to sit on the bench. Turnovers are a killer for this team and can't happen.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #17
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
We've gotta get Tom Coughlin to stop by and do whatever he did to cure Tiki Barber's fumbling problem. We cant afford to have Slaton starting if he's gonna cough up the ball every game. We might as well let Jacoby take snaps at running back!!!
He had Barber carry the ball higher against his chest. The issue I see with Slaton is he looks like he is trying to run too hard. And when he does that the ball slips off his chest a little and he stops squeezing the ball. I am betting he can turn it around pretty quickly. Thats a simple study game film and then get in the right mind frame when you have the ball issue.

Here is to Slaton getting in the right mind frame against the Jags next week.
Old 09-21-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Guys are jumping the gun a little too soon imo. The Texans just faced two of the top run defenses in the league. They play Jacksonville next. I would start Slaton hoping that he turns on the jets against them. That game could easily change his whole season around, but if he starts out slow against them I agree. Lets see more of Brown.
I just want Brown to get earlier touches. When Slaton struggles, you have to spell him a bit, then come back to him. Maybe give Moats a few carries.
Old 09-21-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Both. We've got to keep trying to pound the ball in order for the offense to work correctly. I don't care who gets the bulk of the carries, but we need them both to keep on keepin on.
Old 09-21-2009   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Neither!!

THROW THE GOSHDANG FOOTBALL!!!

You stay with what's working!
Without an effective running game the play action won't work and the D will just pin their ears back and go after Schaub all day long.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read