Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2009   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Defense giving up BIG PLAYS

Can we discuss the defenses inability to make the opponent drive down the field and earn the points?

I know that is a priority each week, and we seem to still have a problem giving up big plays. Mostly on run plays up the gut. What is the problem here?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #2
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Defense giving up BIG PLAYS

safeties
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #3
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

the problem was the DBs were out of position or sleeping on almost every big play
Old 09-20-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Can we discuss the defenses inability to make the opponent drive down the field and earn the points?

I know that is a priority each week, and we seem to still have a problem giving up big plays. Mostly on run plays up the gut. What is the problem here?
You wanted Frank Bush to have a more aggressive scheme, this is what you get with a more aggressive scheme. Take the good with the bad. The guys on defense are very talented, but also very young and inexperienced. Break down each individual players experience at the pro level, and it's easy to see.

And I'm sick to death of watching a team methodically drive down the field on a read and react defense. Yeah, now they a giving up BIG PLAYs. But that is to be expected. They are also flying to the ball, and producing more 3 and outs.

This defense is going to do nothing but get better.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

not covering players really bugs me, that needs to never happen again!
Old 09-20-2009   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I told my brother when we pinned them that deep, that I had a feeling the Tacks were going to score a TD......then it happened. I was so p!$$ed!

On the Chris Johnson TD pass, I just shook my head.

Its definitely something the Texans need to address, and quick.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we were trying to wear out chris johnson early, did he have big play in the 4th?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2009   #8
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I need to rewatch the game.... But how many times has it been on B. McCains side of the field on those big plays? I remember thinking to myself on a couple different occasions that he is always out of position and being manhandled as the RB shoots right by him.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #9
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
I think we were trying to wear out chris johnson early, did he have big play in the 4th?
Yes, the Rocky technique. Tire them out early, win in the final round.

Then Schaub takes the microphone and says "IF I CAN CHANGE, AND YOU CAN CHANGE, EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!"
Old 09-20-2009   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Young, inexperienced, aggressive defenses will give up big plays.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Reeves was inactive today, hopefully he gets in the mix next week. I still think we have the potential to be a few points per game better on D than last year, just have to cut out the mental lapses.
Old 09-20-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We're 1-1, which is more than I thought we'd be before today's game. Our defense gave up some big plays, but so did the Titans defense, which is supposed be much better than ours. That kind of stuff goes both ways.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

How many big plays did we give up?

How many negative plays did we force?

I know it doesn't equal out on the score board, but we'll get better forcing those negative plays, and give up less big plays.

But the Texans are not the only team that gave up big plays today, or last week.
Old 09-20-2009   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Our defense gave up some big plays, but so did the Titans defense, which is supposed be much better than ours.
Truth.........

Old 09-21-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I told my brother when we pinned them that deep, that I had a feeling the Tacks were going to score a TD......then it happened. I was so p!$$ed!

On the Chris Johnson TD pass, I just shook my head.

Its definitely something the Texans need to address, and quick.

They did.

They took Barber out and put Busing in. Barber busted his assignment on that play. If Johnson had lined up as a RB, Barber was supposed to Blitz. He got so blitz happy that he never checked where Johnson was. He just assumed he was in the backfield.

At least, that's what I take away from Kubiak's comments along with what I saw in the game.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'd rather have a combo of big plays given up and big plays made than a that sits back and makes an offense take the 7 yard dink-n-dunk all the way down the field. I like what I see when they make plays, if they can get the unit gelled and not missing assignments (or you know....WHERE a guy is lined up) then I think we'll see the big plays dissappear. If they rachet up the long bombs this is going to get scary!!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give up 2 (I'm willing to bet that no coverage play doesn't happen again) plays a game instead of 5 agonizingly long drives every game. This defense so far has done MORE than its fair share to keep us in the game. If we get our hands on the ball while its in the air, and force bad throws I'm good with it. The difference between this years defense and those in the past is this year's defense gives up one or two long (and I mean long) runs a game, last years defense gave up 9-10 10 yard runs a game. We don't let them hold onto the ball this way and that is an improvement. Do we need to work on a few things, sure. Gap responsibility is a little bit of a problem but when was the last time we saw a team have 15 negative plays?

When Tenn had the ball at the end of the game I was confident we COULD stop them. In the past, if we gave the other team the ball with more than 30 seconds left, I never had confidence that we would stop them.

This team is a work in progress, but at least there is something to progress to. Last year it was just "well we need to figure out a way not to give up 6 yards per play every single play". Now we're worrying about fixing two or three big mental errors in a game. MUCH better.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They did.

They took Barber out and put Busing in. Barber busted his assignment on that play. If Johnson had lined up as a RB, Barber was supposed to Blitz. He got so blitz happy that he never checked where Johnson was. He just assumed he was in the backfield.

At least, that's what I take away from Kubiak's comments along with what I saw in the game.
Did anyone see ho well Busing did the rest of the game? I'm curious is he made more mistakes, I know he had a dropped interception, but wasn't sure how he played the rest of the game.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I guess I'd rather have a combo of big plays given up and big plays made than a that sits back and makes an offense take the 7 yard dink-n-dunk all the way down the field. I like what I see when they make plays, if they can get the unit gelled and not missing assignments (or you know....WHERE a guy is lined up) then I think we'll see the big plays dissappear. If they rachet up the long bombs this is going to get scary!!!!
I agree. IT's not like we've been playing like this for 4 years or anything. This is new to the 11 guys on the field, just like it's new for us. in between the big plays, we should all be able to see that we've got what it takes to play this game, at this level.

I don't know that it will take the entire season before the big plays go away. I hope not, but if it does, it does.

This is one of the reasons we show up strong at the end of the season, and play big boi football to finish 8-8. I think this is proof that the heat is on in Houston, and 8-8 isn't enough.

& I like it.

New England gave up big plays, Tennessee gave up big plays, Indianapolis will give up big plays tonight, Pittsburgh gave up big plays.... that's what happens, when you play to win the game. HELLO!!!

Old 09-21-2009   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You wanted Frank Bush to have a more aggressive scheme, this is what you get with a more aggressive scheme. Take the good with the bad. The guys on defense are very talented, but also very young and inexperienced. Break down each individual players experience at the pro level, and it's easy to see.

And I'm sick to death of watching a team methodically drive down the field on a read and react defense. Yeah, now they a giving up BIG PLAYs. But that is to be expected. They are also flying to the ball, and producing more 3 and outs.

This defense is going to do nothing but get better.

My thoughts exactly.

Give em false hope, then take the W home with you.

The guys were flying to the ball and punching back for a change.

No softness from our guys in this game.

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 09-21-2009 at 09:16 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read