Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2009   #1
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton and Fumbles

I am getting nervous everytime he touches the ball. Is this starting to become a concern to anyone else?

When do you say "You are fumbling too much and now you are our number 2 guy?"

I remember Tiki Barber had fumbling problems, and it was corrected.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton and Fumbles

I got nervous on the first screen where it looked like the Jets play, getting hit squarely in the middle of the field but he held on. I remember OD saw a little of Kub's doghouse in his oh...second year or so for FUMBLING PROBLEMS and let's not get started on how much JJ is raked over the coals for his hands. Can't have little production AND fumbles and keep your job here. Ron Dayne got employment for a few years simply because he was good at keeping the rock and very little else.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just concerned that he can't run it like he could last year. Blame it on extra weight, or whatever, but he ain't the same.

And despite that win today, if they can't prove they can run the ball . . .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

slaton needs to carry a ball at all times.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It's getting to the point you can count on him losing his helmut every game and fumbling. That's not good. I really hope he fixes this, because he is very important to the team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #6
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Brown should start next week. Use Slaton as a third down back - until he comes out of his slump.
Old 09-20-2009   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Long story short, I think Slaton is trying to fight for yardage on his own without that after contact "help" from O-linemen too much. When you're a lone RB with a couple DLs and a LB on you, it's time to just go down. It'll be fine when we play some less stellar run Ds, Slaton possibly loses a few of those unnecessary lbs., and he stops trying to muscle it on his own so much. I don't think the fumbling will go on much longer.

However, he also is getting less yardage than Brown right now; so, I wouldn't mind seeing less of him for a while.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
Chris Brown should start next week. Use Slaton as a third down back - until he comes out of his slump.
Stop it.

On one hand, I agree with giving guys opportuities to correct their problems. Jacoby Jones for one. I love David Anderson, but when KDub gets back, JJ needs to be the third WR, and we need to run more 3 WR sets.

Slaton won the starting job, when Brown was nursing one of his many injuries.

Does Slaton need an a$$Chewing.... yep. Does he need to work on protecting the ball this week in practice... uh.... yeAh. Do we need to give Chris Brown more carries..... are you out of your dang mind? didn't I just say he was nursing one of his many injuries?

Moats needs to get a few touches. The last couple of games would have been good games for him to be in. Slaton wasn't going anywhere, and he kept fumbling the ball. How much worse could it have been?

But Slaton is our starter. He earned it. Now we need someone, anyone to earn it this year, with their play on the field. Chris Brown looks good, with his limited Carries. But he doesn't look like he's going to break anything. Moats has that capability, Slaton "had" it.

Chris Brown needs to continue playing his role.
Old 09-20-2009   #9
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't play to avoid injuries. It's football they have to play - this isn't preseason. If someone gives you your best chance to win - you play them. Players will get hurt but you can't put them in a bubble. Maybe the fact Slaton looks bad this year is because he was trying to bulk up to "prevent injuries". For every action there is equal and opposite reaction. I agree Brown won't give us the homerun capability but I think Brown has shown he is more consistent than Slaton and our team could use some consistency right now.
Old 09-20-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I agree Brown won't give us the homerun capability but I think Brown has shown he is more consistent than Slaton and our team could use some consistency right now.
And Moats does have that homerun capability. I'm saying the same thing. Reduce Slaton's carries. No reason not to take the title "Starter" away from him.

Brown is playing a role we need filled on this team. Making him the featured back, reduces that role.

Put Moats in the game, keep Brown where he is, and give Slaton an opportunity to redeem himself.

If Moats can't get be productive.... like sitting on the bench. Get rid of him, bring Foster up. If he still can't do it, then we increase Brown's role.

There are guys wanting to bench our starting QB because he has a history. Being cautious with Brown only makes sense to me, when we've got two RBs on this team that has yet to see the field.

Foster is "developing" I understand that. But Moats is what he is right now, and he hasn't taken a snap.
Old 09-20-2009   #11
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
And Moats does have that homerun capability. I'm saying the same thing. Reduce Slaton's carries. No reason not to take the title "Starter" away from him.

Brown is playing a role we need filled on this team. Making him the featured back, reduces that role.

Put Moats in the game, keep Brown where he is, and give Slaton an opportunity to redeem himself.

If Moats can't get be productive.... like sitting on the bench. Get rid of him, bring Foster up. If he still can't do it, then we increase Brown's role.

There are guys wanting to bench our starting QB because he has a history. Being cautious with Brown only makes sense to me, when we've got two RBs on this team that has yet to see the field.

Foster is "developing" I understand that. But Moats is what he is right now, and he hasn't taken a snap.
Thats almost logical. Are you in the running for head coach?

I do agree. Start limiting carries, give Moats more playing time, continue the path with Brown, and hopefully Slaton will come around.

I would like to see Brown getting the same number of carries he is now. I still have my kool aid next to me and I am hoping to see a playoff birth. I would rather see Brown stay healthy for that instead of risking an injury. Explore with Moats. Get help for Slaton before he costs us a game.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read