Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default What makes a team soft.

If you ask me, and since I'm asking the question, I'm answering myself,

But if you ask me, what makes a team soft, is continuing to tell them what not to do. Continuing to practice what not to do. Don't fumble, don't let him get past you, don't throw that INT, don't get that offsides penalty, don't get that roughing the passer penalty, don't get that pass interference.

You've got 53 guys out there trying not to get into trouble, and not making plays. NOt hitting chumps in the mouth, not putting someone on their a$$, not taking a LB out of a play, not getting that pic 6......

I think we spent our first 7 years as a team trying not to get embarrassed. I think we over compensated for the mistakes we have, and will make.

We have not been aggressive defensively, because we're afraid of giving up big plays. I hope someone watches this game & say, "hey, we can make mistakes, and still win." Same thing offensively. Jameel Cook isn't here, why not? Because he fumbled twice in one game? He was a very good reciever out of the backfield. Not that great of a lead blocker........ If that's why he lost his job, that's fine. But coming off a poor season where he made a few mistakes.... I wonder.

Why is Wali Lundy gone? Can't tell me that kid didn't have talent? He made a few mistakes... didn't want to waste anytime on him. I'd love to have him here to share some caries with Slaton. I like Moats... but I liked Lundy better.

We've got to address the mistake. Do some drills designed to focus on not fumbling, catching the ball in traffic, throwing the ball under pressure...... but don't beat our guys down to the point that they are scared to make a play.

Case in point, you all remember Cortland Finnegan all over Andre Johnson, in what should have been a penalty. Then he got called for the PI in the endzone...... or was that Hope? Whichever, Jeff Fischer is not going to neuter his team, and take away their aggressiveness. He'll demand they play smarter, but he won't take away the very reason he acquired those player. To make plays.
Old 09-20-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: What makes a team soft.

Playing the opposite way we did today.
Old 09-20-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

What makes a team soft? When the other team comes out and hits you in the mouth, and you just take it. Looking bewildered, confused, and intimidated by the other team. Today, the Titans were on top again and again. They made big plays to take the momentum. And every time, the Texans stepped back onto the field and punched back - sometimes with success and sometimes not - but they kept swinging.
Old 09-20-2009   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What makes a team soft? When the other team comes out and hits you in the mouth, and you just take it. Looking bewildered, confused, and intimidated by the other team. Today, the Titans were on top again and again. They made big plays to take the momentum. And every time, the Texans stepped back onto the field and punched back - sometimes with success and sometimes not - but they kept swinging.
I believe, that was because they were allowed to do what we pay them to do.

Cotton Shwab was throwing the ball to AJ early, even though he wasn't open any more than he was against NYJ. In previous seasons, our defense would have been 90% prevent after the big plays we allowed against NYJ. Today, they came out with the same aggressive, man up, zero defense that we played last week. We gave up several big plays, but they were allowed to keep at it.

I think we've been coached scared, and I hope this game is us turning the corner.
Old 09-20-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

When a bully team comes talking junk you talk back and back it up. A soft team loses that game and the Texans never took a step back, just rolled with the punches and had a few of their own. I guess it takes the other team getting in their faces challenging them before they'll pull out their man cards but I'm sure glad to see they still have them. The trick now is keeping that mental toughness throughout a week and into the next game.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I believe, that was because they were allowed to do what we pay them to do.

Cotton Shwab was throwing the ball to AJ early, even though he wasn't open any more than he was against NYJ. In previous seasons, our defense would have been 90% prevent after the big plays we allowed against NYJ. Today, they came out with the same aggressive, man up, zero defense that we played last week. We gave up several big plays, but they were allowed to keep at it.

I think we've been coached scared, and I hope this game is us turning the corner.
No. Look at the players on the sidelines early in the Jets game. The looks they have on their faces tells the story, and has everything to do with what was going on in their heads. Today, they faced a team that they know well and they just played tougher, both mentally and physically. One of the announcers made the big brother analogy and I think it fits.

Against the Jets, there was probably some of the hesitancy you describe, but that's an aside to what was going on in their heads.
Old 09-20-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
When a bully team comes talking junk you talk back and back it up. A soft team loses that game and the Texans never took a step back, just rolled with the punches and had a few of their own. I guess it takes the other team getting in their faces challenging them before they'll pull out their man cards but I'm sure glad to see they still have them. The trick now is keeping that mental toughness throughout a week and into the next game.
Again, my point. It's not like the offense ever got in the huddle, and decided to run a draw play on 3rd &17. Our coaches have done that, because they were scared of another "negative" play.

We didn't play scared today. We didn't drop back in prevent defense, we didn't play conservative on either side of the ball, for one minute.

They came after us, we went after them. IMHO, the coaching, the play calling was the difference. What other attitude are you going to have, when you're coach continues to call prevent D, and screen passes when you're down by 21?
Old 09-20-2009   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I HATE PREVENT D!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read