Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-19-2009   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ vs CJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45djJD3nbyE

Found this video a few minutes ago, and it shows how good both Andre and Calvin are. Was just wondering, who do you guys think is the better WR?

I think its hard to argue against the fact that these two are the best WRs in the league(Fitz is good, but isnt as good as these two IMO.) Andre is a beast, and if Schaub can stay healthy, I think he'll be in for another great year.

Calvin Johnson on the other hand, had no QB last year...let alone a team, yet he still managed to play great. Its scary to think how good he would be if he was on another team.

That being said, I think AJ is the best for now(at least stats-wise), however, in a season or two, I believe Calvin will become the best WR in the league.

What do you guys think?

Also, lets say in 2-3 years, who would you rather have on your team?
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #2
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ vs CJ

In 2 or 3 years, I'd have CJ, and to be honest, right now I'd probably take CJ. Calvin is only a little bit behind Andre at the moment, and has a few years on him as well. I can't see CJ peaking at anything less than AJ will peak at.

That said, AJ is a freaking beast, and more importantly, he's our beast. We just gotta get him the ball, and let that boy do the rest!
Old 09-19-2009   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i have to say andre. calvin is more similar to terrell owens to me. talented, fast, athletically gifted, has great hands and body control, and able to force himself into space ... an excess of God given ability. i dont see him as the freak andre is though. andre's the monster of calvin's physicals and fitzgerald's ability. not the immediate burst or size of calvin nor the insane body control and hands of fitz, but a combination that's better than them individually.
Old 09-19-2009   #4
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah you guys both make great points. And, Scooter, your right, he is a freak. When looking at that video, he looks huge, yet he's as agile and quick as any WR out there...if not more so.

Another thing I like about both receivers is that they are very humble and down to earth...or at least are on the field. Could care less if they are like TO/Cashtree off the field, as long as they produce well come game-day. But I doubt Andre or Calvin are like that.
Old 09-19-2009   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Another thing I like about both receivers is that they are very humble and down to earth...or at least are on the field. Could care less if they are like TO/Cashtree off the field, as long as they produce well come game-day. But I doubt Andre or Calvin are like that.
i think that more than anything is why both calvin and andre are received so well across the league. everybody wants to root for those two. heck i'm not a lions fan, never will be ... it's detroit and i couldnt care less if they win 16 or lose 16, but i cant help but cheer for calvin because of the way he presents himself.
Old 09-19-2009   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take AJ for the next 4-5 years, when receivers generally start to fall off.

He has all the physical gifts you look for in a WR, and the mental discipline to go along with them.

What makes him really special compared to other elite receivers is his beastly strength. Several times last season he ripped balls out of defenders hands that by all rights should have been INTs, and can just bulldoze/drag defenders for yards after contact like a big running back. He's also the toughest receiver in the league not named Anquan Boldin.

CJ has the highest potential ceiling of any receiver, ever, but I don't expect him to reach it any time soon; if ever.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #7
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

I only wish the Raiders were as lucky to get a WR like Andre or CJ...oh well, we have someone who could beat them both in the 40.
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2009   #8
Scooter
Funky

Last edited by Scooter; 09-19-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i have to say andre. calvin is more similar to terrell owens to me. talented, fast, athletically gifted, has great hands and body control, and able to force himself into space ... an excess of God given ability. i dont see him as the freak andre is though. andre's the monster of calvin's physicals and fitzgerald's ability. not the immediate burst or size of calvin nor the insane body control and hands of fitz, but a combination that's better than them individually.
you're giving Owens too much credit. He's never had great hands. Yes, he's big, strong, and fast (or he used to be) and I guess that qualifies as "athletically gifted". But that's where the similarity ends; no way is Owens on the same level, and I'm talking total-package wise, as either of the Johnson boys.

And Owens has had the good fortune to play on some good teams with solid QBs - Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, McNabb, Romo and now Trent Edwards. Just think what either of the Johnson boys could have done had they been featured in any one of those offenses. Or to put it another way, if Owens first three years had been with HWWNBN or Dan Orlovsky, would we even know who he was?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm just enjoying the time right now where the three best receivers in the league are some of the nicest guys in the league, too, that you can easily root for

don't get used to it, though
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i'm just enjoying the time right now where the three best receivers in the league are some of the nicest guys in the league, too, that you can easily root for

don't get used to it, though
Kenny Britt seems like a nice guy. It's not often I root for a rival's player. I don't know why, but I think with better coaches Robert Meachem could be top 10.

But back on topic, I'd take Andre now, CJ in 3 years or so.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read