Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-16-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Carr: 'I would have rather watched' from bench

before the firestorm hits(and I hope one opens their mind and reads the article first )before it becomes a bashing thread ,

I never understood why Capers didn't put Tony Banks in.. just to let the offense run with a veteran QB .. put SOMETHING on game film. I am not saying things would have been different ,but interesting piece IMO

but what is done, is done

Quote:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- David Carr has been where Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford are -- sort of. He knows what it feels like to be a high draft pick with huge expectations who's named a starting quarterback in the NFL right out of college. A 16-game starter on the 2002 expansion Houston Texans, Carr got to experience first-hand what Sanchez and Stafford will start experiencing for real this weekend. And it's not that he's trying to scare anybody, but ...

"If I had it to do all over again, I think I would have rather watched," Carr, now the Giants' backup QB, told FanHouse on Monday. "There were just so many bad habits I picked up that, if I'd seen another guy doing it, I don't think I would have."
Quote:
n Houston, it was tough, being an expansion team. There just weren't a lot of guys who weren't coaches that you could lean on," Carr said. "You just used the guys around you, but they didn't know any more than you did."

Carr was coming out of college, where he and his Fresno State teams were dominant enough to make him the No. 1 overall pick in that 2002 draft. In college, Carr said, they practiced a couple of hours a day and then watched film for two or three hours.

"We thought that was a lot," Carr said.

In the NFL, it's not. And his rookie year, there was nobody around to tell him otherwise. So he basically just did the same things he did in college. Once he got on the field, it became clear quickly that it wasn't going to be good enough.

"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in," Carr said. "There were so many things I wasn't prepared for. Just realizing how teams tried to attack you -- that's new. In college, we ran the same plays every week and the defenses basically did the same things. Here ... it's not like that."
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/07/d...-mark-sanchez/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: David Carr: 'I would have rather watched' from bench

I thought from the beginning that HWWNBN should have learned the NFL a little more. It was almost a crime to put him on the field with that offensive line we had as his first NFL experience. But like you said, I don't know if it would have helped him or the team out in the long run.
Old 09-16-2009   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 89889 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting Wolf. If what hes saying is 100% accurate, it was worse than I thought as far as the first coaching regime goes. Watching the team those first couple of years, I several times wondered if the coaches were even paying attention.

Quote:
"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in,"
That quote made me say.....WTF? I'm wondering if he means live, or on TV?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #4
Ckw

No matter what the guy flat out did not/does not have the drive to be a quality NFL QB. It stood out to me how he didn't realize how much time would have to be spent on the field and watching tape. He thought he could just waltz into the NFL and treat it like college. He was wrong. God and family are important, but so was his job as an NFL player.
Old 09-16-2009   #5
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's getting plenty of time watching from the bench now.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr is full of shit and I'm sick of seeing him blame everyone else but himself. I used to defend the guy, but he's shown his true colors. He can suck shit through a straw.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if you guys remember, but the Texans staff fully intended to have Carr sit and watch for at least a year. They worked really hard to bring in a veteran, but no one wanted the job. All of the available free agent QB's of any merit perceived this job as pinata duty, and the Texans staff was ultimately unable to sign a QB that they though would be a better option than starting the rookie David Carr. That was less a testimony to David Carr's greatness than it was to a lack of job applicants for the starting QB position of a first year expansion franchise.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2009   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

whatever Dave.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"The first NFL game I ever saw, I played in," Carr said. "There were so many things I wasn't prepared for. Just realizing how teams tried to attack you -- that's new. In college, we ran the same plays every week and the defenses basically did the same things. Here ... it's not like that."
pretty telling statement....dude doesn't have a lot going on upstairs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
David Carr is full of shit and I'm sick of seeing him blame everyone else but himself. I used to defend the guy, but he's shown his true colors. He can suck shit through a straw.
agreed. dude has no accountability. he is making excuses even to this day. he had trent dilfer as a mentor and for him to say the 'first NFL game I saw, I played in' is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard....

...whatever helps him sleep at night..im sure that blanket of money doesn't hurt.

i would watch the 's' bombs though...
Old 09-16-2009   #11
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Some people take the bull by the horns, and some shrink away and watch from the sideline. I think we know where DCarr falls.

We have about 4 rookie/second year QBs that aren't lamenting having to start for their teams. They're going out there and learning on the job. And I bet the guys that succeed are staying late and watching tape and absorbing everything their coaches tell them. Not every rook QB comes into the league and plays under ideal circumstances. But not every rook QB has a missing set of balls, like DCarr.

What a waste of our first couple of years in this league as a team. Guy is not a gamer. He needs to be coddled. Well, he has plenty of time with the Giants to sit on the bench and suck from his bottle.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David milquetoast Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Some people take the bull by the horns, and some shrink away and watch from the sideline. I think we know where DCarr falls.

We have about 4 rookie/second year QBs that aren't lamenting having to start for their teams. They're going out there and learning on the job. And I bet the guys that succeed are staying late and watching tape and absorbing everything their coaches tell them. Not every rook QB comes into the league and plays under ideal circumstances. But not every rook QB has a missing set of balls, like DCarr.

What a waste of our first couple of years in this league as a team. Guy is not a gamer. He needs to be coddled. Well, he has plenty of time with the Giants to sit on the bench and suck from his bottle.
The most pathetic part is when Carr's option was up, the Texans not only re-upped him but they exercised the longer option. Management should have had known what they had by year 3 and taken the out they built into the contract. For some reason, after 3 years they couldn't see this guy was not a leader nor could he impose his will on any team. It took the Panthers half a season before they signed 700 year old Vinny Testaverde to play instead of David milquetoast Carr.

Old 09-16-2009   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Gotta say ... I pegged him wrong for a looong time.

Now that I live in Ohio and am stuck with the Browns and the Bengals (we live in Columbus and I refuse to put out for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket) ... it's sorta like Houston all over again, minus the feeling of a hometown team I've followed for a long time.

Two perpetually underachieving teams that should be better but just can't get past themselves and their management.
Old 09-16-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David milquetoast Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The most pathetic part is when Carr's option was up, the Texans not only re-upped him but they exercised the longer option. Management should have had known what they had by year 3 and taken the out they built into the contract. For some reason, after 3 years they couldn't see this guy was not a leader nor could he impose his will on any team. It took the Panthers half a season before they signed 700 year old Vinny Testaverde to play instead of David milquetoast Carr.
It's kinda like house shopping and entering a house where they cooked something that stinks . That house still smells long after their gone and you'll have to deal with it . That whole episode is still haunting this team and I guess there's not enough Killz to mask it .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Gotta say ... I pegged him wrong for a looong time.

Now that I live in Ohio and am stuck with the Browns and the Bengals (I refused to put out for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket) ... it's sorta like Houston all over again, minus the feeling of a hometown team I've followed for a long time (we live in Columbus.)

Two perpetually underachieving teams that should be better but just can't get past themselves and their management.
that's an understatement....you had a posse of people giving guys like me a hard time and giving neg rep to all the people who thought DC was no better than Rob Johnson...but I forgive.

Old 09-16-2009   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
that's an understatement....you had a posse of people giving guys like me a hard time and giving neg rep to all the people who thought DC was no better than Rob Johnson...but I forgive.
Did I really give you negative rep for it? LOL if so I owe you a big one. Seriously though ... I really thought he could do it ... for the longest time ... until optimism gave way to the realization I was just hanging onto ugly denial. This was sometime last week ... j/k but it was waaay past due.

Understatement though it may be ... at least I didn't call Mario Williams a "workout warrior"

Old 09-16-2009   #17
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

i would watch the 's' bombs though...
I made a mistake. I apologize for my knee jerk accusation aimed at the Mods.

Last edited by Silver Oak; 09-16-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Excellent point. A lot of people get jobs or opportunities that are above what they have done, and maybe a little in over their heads.

But, by going for it and figuring it out for themselves without someone telling them how to do things is key to a lot of people succeeding. David Carr doesn't have this.

This article clearly confirms what was obvious by year 4 of his career, and that was his heart was not with being a starting and successful QB in the NFL. That doesn't make Carr a bad person, but he took a lot of money from McNair on the belief that he was that kind of person.

Which brings me to...

How could there be that much disconnect between McNair and his franchise QB?

And that answer brings us to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Another excellent point.

My concern is that McNair is still evaluating all talent (front office, coaching, and players) either in the same manner as he did with David Carr, or not figuring the right way to evaluate talent.

The David Carr problem is really a systemic issue to the entire Texans organization that stills needs to be addressed and fixed. And it starts with Bob McNair.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Excellent point. A lot of people get jobs or opportunities that are above what they have done, and maybe a little in over their heads.

But, by going for it and figuring it out for themselves without someone telling them how to do things is key to a lot of people succeeding. David Carr doesn't have this.

This article clearly confirms what was obvious by year 4 of his career, and that was his heart was not with being a starting and successful QB in the NFL. That doesn't make Carr a bad person, but he took a lot of money from McNair on the belief that he was that kind of person.

Which brings me to...

How could there be that much disconnect between McNair and his franchise QB?

And that answer brings us to...

Another excellent point.

My concern is that McNair is still evaluating all talent (front office, coaching, and players) either in the same manner as he did with David Carr, or not figuring the right way to evaluate talent.

The David Carr problem is really a systemic issue to the entire Texans organization that stills needs to be addressed and fixed. And it starts with Bob McNair.

I don't think he evaluates talent , I think like Thomas Jefferson , McNair got to close to the help . I think he does have a mental picture of what a Texan should look and act like .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

I don't think he evaluates talent , I think like Thomas Jefferson , McNair got to close to the help .
What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think he does have a mental picture of what a Texan should look and act like .
And that look and act has nothing to do with putting together a winning football team in the NFL. Which indirectly impacts the evaluation of talent in adverse ways.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read