Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default How far are we?

How far are we from being a good team? Are we one player away? If so, is that something we can solve by the trade deadline? Offense? Deffense?

Are we still as bad as we've ever been? With holes at every position? Is it going to take another draft or two?

Are we a headcoach away? Do we have the talent we need to be a contender?

Depth... Do we have everything we need, and may make the play-offs this year, baring any injury of any kind? Are we just lacking depth?

Is it a combination of things?

I'm asking if you had to make a change, what would it be, and how long would it take before we are contending for a play-off spot?

& while I'm asking, would anyone be happy with a winning season? or is it play-offs or bust for you?
Old 09-16-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How far are we?

We would be closer if MS can prove he's able to stay on the field, and then he needs to show he can make good pre-snap reads.

Reeves needs to show that he can continue to improve.
And we can always use another safety or two.
Or Ferguson and Wilson need to stay healthy and play at least at the same level as last year or better.
Or somebody needs to step up.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #3
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I think it is the culture. We need to do something, if thats get one real leader on the field through FA or wipe the whole staff clean I don't know. But I would be curious of who we kept from the Dom Capers era in the front office.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are a few players away :

OL- Center. We need a guy who can take on these massive DT/NT's and not get shoved all over the field. I think that would solve a lot of our OL issues and improve our running game by leaps and bounds , especially in short yardage situations.

DT: We need one of those big nasty's up front who demands double teams and can hold his ground against the run.

SS & FS: Our safety play has been bad since day one, piss poor coverage and piss poor angles .... and some piss poor tackling.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
I think it is the culture. We need to do something, if thats get one real leader on the field through FA or wipe the whole staff clean I don't know. But I would be curious of who we kept from the Dom Capers era in the front office.
It's way to late to find new "Capers people to blame". It's well past the time for blaming the old ones too.
Old 09-16-2009   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Talent wise:

On defense we still need a stud DT that can drop anchor in the middle and tell the opposing OL "I'm not going anywhere." We also need a guy at the safety the position who can be competent defending the run and the pass.

On offense we still need a center who wont get steamrolled everytime we go up against a team who already has said stud DT.

Coaching wise:

We need a guy who can get the Texans ready to play consistently. Kubiak is obviously a very smart offensive coach but he lacks the fire a young team like us needs in order to get that competitive edge we so desperately need. Our players should've been talking about the inspiring pregame speech that got them ready to play on opening day not the opponent's players. It still boggles my mind how a coach can allow a team that has never had a winning season in their franchise's history to get comfortable and not be prepared to play every game.

I'm realistic, I know the teams that have PROVEN they are winners are bound to have a trap game every now and again. Hell, they're enitled to a hiccup here and there. But for the Texans to consistently do so is just ridiculous because we've only proven that unlike every other team in the NFL we've never had a winning season or made the playoffs!
Old 09-16-2009   #7
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to see a competitive and tough team every Sunday. I want them to have a winning season more than anything because it is extremely difficult to make the playoffs out of the AFC. What I don't want to see is them get their teeth kicked in again for the umpteenth time. As far as what they're missing? I don't know, a spine?
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2009   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Not far at all, THATS why losing the way we did Sunday is so disheartening
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever can instill consistent intensity and focus into this team is how far we are, IMHO.

We won four in a row last season, culminating in a win over the Titans. The next week we laid an egg in Oakland. That same team in Oakland showed up in Reliant last Sunday.

It just seems that there is a constant meltdown as a team that is beyond talent. Maybe it's those intangibles: heart, drive, will. Where does that come from?
Old 09-16-2009   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll add this much:

For eight drafts now I've been hoping we would pick a big, fast workhorse running back who can get four yards every time he touches the ball and who can get the critical few yards necessary at the end of a game when the opponent is expecting the Texans to try to run.

For eight drafts now I've been disappointed.

The year we drafted Amobi, we were just three picks away from getting Adrian Peterson, perhaps the best back to come along in 20 or even 30 years. (Obviously we won't know for sure for several years to come, but right now he looks like an amazing back.) My feeling is that if we had gotten Peterson by trading up somehow, we would have been in the playoffs two years already.

When the hell is this organization finally going to realize that a franchise-type running back can mean the difference between mediocrity and excellence?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I'll add this much:

For eight drafts now I've been hoping we would pick a big, fast workhorse running back who can get four yards every time he touches the ball and who can get the critical few yards necessary at the end of a game when the opponent is expecting the Texans to try to run.

For eight drafts now I've been disappointed.

The year we drafted Amobi, we were just three picks away from getting Adrian Peterson, perhaps the best back to come along in 20 or even 30 years. (Obviously we won't know for sure for several years to come, but right now he looks like an amazing back.) My feeling is that if we had gotten Peterson by trading up somehow, we would have been in the playoffs two years already.

When the hell is this organization finally going to realize that a franchise-type running back can mean the difference between mediocrity and excellence?
For a look back at hindsight since Kubiak took over just think if we would've signed Drew Brees then packaged a 1st and the 3rd we drafted Jacoby with (or one of the Schaub seconds if absolutely necessary) to draft Peterson...

Or hell, what if we had signed Michael Turner last year instead of Ahman Green the year before last? A Turner/Slaton or Peterson/Slaton combo would be the best in the league!!!
Old 09-16-2009   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
For a look back at hindsight since Kubiak took over just think if we would've signed Drew Brees then packaged a 1st and the 3rd we drafted Jacoby with (or one of the Schaub seconds if absolutely necessary) to draft Peterson...

Or hell, what if we had signed Michael Turner last year instead of Ahman Green the year before last? A Turner/Slaton or Peterson/Slaton combo would be the best in the league!!!
Also great points.

Not getting some of the better free agents is starting to piss me off.

Why not make a play for Drew Brees? Why not make a better offer to Michael Turner?

Instead we overpay Antonio "Anthony Weaver" Smith.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We won four in a row last season, culminating in a win over the Titans. The next week we laid an egg in Oakland. That same team in Oakland showed up in Reliant last Sunday.
The best team doesn't always win.

That being said, we beat some pretty good teams last year, when they had play-off implications for them. Chicago was out of the play-offs, and they needed the win to have chance. We smacked them in the mouth, and stopped them from doing what they do. & they were stepping stones on our way to be a top three offense, to send 3 players to the Pro-Bowl, and to have a second 8-8 season. Same thing for Tennessee in December. Smash & dash my ass. We stopped them, and they lost homefield advantage.

IMHO, we need consistency. That comes from doing the basics, the fundamentals right every time. IMHO, there was not a shortage of talent on the field Sunday. I lay the whole loss, on the coaches.

Whatever weaknesses the Jets had, we didn't see them, we didn't attack them, and we didn't do what we do.

They saw our weaknesses, attacked them, and took advantage of our agressiveness.

IMHO, all we need is for Kubiak to figure out how to make us play the way we did against Chicago & Tennessee on a regular basis. That can happen this year.. it could happen this week.

I still have hopes for a play-off appearance this year. I hope, we get a play-off win.

before the Cowpies.
Old 09-16-2009   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

okay, I'll take a turn...
this may take a moment; you asked a lot of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How far are we from being a good team? Are we one player away? If so, is that something we can solve by the trade deadline? Offense? Deffense?
Possibly. I've been hearing the laments of the guys that have been preaching "go get a play-making safety" for years. Well, thanks to last weeks game, they've reached me. If there's a guy out there who can run like the wind, has good/great ball-hawking skills, and hit like a linebacker, we should spare no expense.
Two would be better.

Quote:
Are we still as bad as we've ever been? With holes at every position? Is it going to take another draft or two?
No. While we could use another stud here and there - who couldn't - we're no where near as bad as we were at the start of 2006. We already talked safety. The QB position - sorry Schaub-lovers - needs an upgrade. I've watched the game three times now (call me a masochist) and there were times where the line actually gave Schaub time to throw. There were other times when even the casual observer knew the blitz was coming. Seems like Schaub should have seen it too and checked to a better play or just called timeout, if the two plays given to him by Kyle looked doomed to failure. If Kubiak doesn't have confidence that his QB has good recognition skills, then why the hell is he starting??

Quote:
Are we a headcoach away?
Had you asked me that first question a month ago, I would have said, "No." Loudly. Now, I'm not so sure. Kubiak looked whipped and lost for most of the game. I don't know if it was dismay because what he thought should work kept blowing up in his face or that he nor Kyle could not identify any Jet weaknesses his offense could exploit.

Quote:
I'm asking if you had to make a change, what would it be?
For this season, I'd make three changes.
1) No more annointing a starter. If Rex looked better in practice than Schaub, Rex starts. If Slaton keeps auditioning for Dancing With The Stars, he gets yanked and Chris Brown plays. Everyone, from Schaub on down, earns their spot, by their in-game production, from week to week.

2) I'd comb the weeds for better DBs. And not at the clearance rack either. If I could get someone with experience for a 2nd day pick, I'm getting him. If I can get a shutdown guy for a 1st day pick, I'm getting him.
All you Draft-A-Stud-DB guys have converted me to the dark side.

3) Flush this we gotta establish the run B.S. There's too much speed/talent at WR/TE on this team not to use it. I'll bet Mike Marsh could have a field day with the pass-catchers we have.

For future seasons, draft football players. Screw the combine numbers. Does the guy run/hit/catch/cover/tackle?? Get the guys that do those things the best.
Does he thump his chest and say "look at me" when he makes a routine tackle?
Yes? Sorry. Can't use you.
Can you play and are you all about doing whatever it takes to win? Welcome aboard. Here's your uni.

OFF
I'm going to sit back down now.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-16-2009 at 07:18 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know who is available, but we need a safety BADLY..

maybe I read too much about the Colts, but you see how Sanders can transforms that defense (when healthy)

with that, we are the Dolphins of the 80's but instead of Running backs year after year with high draft pics, we are drafting Dt's year after year and with no luck

I couldn't imagine how pumped I would be if we could send 4 in and get pressure on the QB instead of sending the house time and time again and with that, I expect screen after screen from the offenses
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #16
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think we are a few players away :

OL- Center. We need a guy who can take on these massive DT/NT's and not get shoved all over the field. I think that would solve a lot of our OL issues and improve our running game by leaps and bounds , especially in short yardage situations.

DT: We need one of those big nasty's up front who demands double teams and can hold his ground against the run.

SS & FS: Our safety play has been bad since day one, piss poor coverage and piss poor angles .... and some piss poor tackling.
I would like to add to that... a shut down CB as well. The rest, I totally agree with
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #17
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The best team doesn't always win.

That being said, we beat some pretty good teams last year, when they had play-off implications for them. Chicago was out of the play-offs, and they needed the win to have chance. We smacked them in the mouth, and stopped them from doing what they do. & they were stepping stones on our way to be a top three offense, to send 3 players to the Pro-Bowl, and to have a second 8-8 season. Same thing for Tennessee in December. Smash & dash my ass. We stopped them, and they lost homefield advantage.

IMHO, we need consistency. That comes from doing the basics, the fundamentals right every time. IMHO, there was not a shortage of talent on the field Sunday. I lay the whole loss, on the coaches.

Whatever weaknesses the Jets had, we didn't see them, we didn't attack them, and we didn't do what we do.

They saw our weaknesses, attacked them, and took advantage of our agressiveness.

IMHO, all we need is for Kubiak to figure out how to make us play the way we did against Chicago & Tennessee on a regular basis. That can happen this year.. it could happen this week.

I still have hopes for a play-off appearance this year. I hope, we get a play-off win.

before the Cowpies.
Titans had homefield, sad to remind you (and me)

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We have got some legitimate all pros on this team, and a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Yeah, there are some holes that need patched, but teams with lesser talent have done better than 500 seasons.

As much as I do respect Kubiac and hope he comes around, I blame him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I'd change the attiude of the team and have them ready to go each and every Sunday playing like somone just shot a cannon right up their ass.
Old 09-16-2009   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's four building blocks that you need and spend big bucks on . You can get by I guess but for arguments sake , here we go .

QB ?
LT ?
CB ?
Pass rusher = Mario

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read