Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2009   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Texans sign UH HB Alridge to PS

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6621711.html

Quote:
The Texans have signed former University of Houston running back Anthony Alridge to their practice squad. Alridge, who was placed on waivers by Washington in the last roster reduction, replaces Buster Davis, who was placed on waivers Tuesday.

After finishing his career with the Cougars, Alridge signed with the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent. After he was waived by the Broncos, he signed with the Redskins.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans sign UH HB Alridge to PS

OH this guy is going to be starting by week 4. Gaurantee it.

Buster needs to find somewhere else to play. He gets treated like a rag doll here.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoa! Bad ass!

So... this makes me think that the coaches are concerned about our running back situation... more than they're letting on?

I mean, we have Slaton and his backup/similar style back Moats.

We have Brown and his backup/similar style back Foster.

Where does AA fit in?

I love the move, though. Love me some Aldridge!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #4
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

can he be a return man?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quick 6 is a small quick back. 5'9" in the 175-185 range. Think Warrick Dunn.

Too small for an every down back but has good bursts of speeds, catches well out of the backfield and can return kicks and punts.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Quick 6 is a small quick back. 5'9" in the 175-185 range. Think Warrick Dunn.

Too small for an every down back but has good bursts of speeds, catches well out of the backfield and can return kicks and punts.
kinda reminds me of the Chargers Sproles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess since the O-line can only open crack-sized holes they had to sign someone small enough to fit thru them and fast enough to get to them before the close up.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2009   #8
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
That was my exact thought as well.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am all for local guys making good, however, the value in the timing of this signing is purely PR in my opinion.
Old 09-16-2009   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this is a RB signing. Just my opinion, but I think this is a bye bye Jacoby signing if Alridge proves he can play.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Any players that have any real worth to them are on a team already, not being signed to a practice squad this late. I don't put out a lot of hope for any of the "freebies" left unsigned this late. Anybody you get now that's worth something you'll have to trade for.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Any players that have any real worth to them are on a team already, not being signed to a practice squad this late. I don't put out a lot of hope for any of the "freebies" left unsigned this late. Anybody you get now that's worth something you'll have to trade for.
I can agree with this. Although, I think Alridge might have the "potential to be a contributer to this team. I think the dude was injured last year too. Some little dudes have the body to withstand the pounding (Sproles) more than other little dudes.

That said, I hope Buster can find a job in the league. The first day of camp I thought he was camp fodder for sure, but he impressed the heck out of me as camp progressed. Good luck to ya, Buster.
Old 09-16-2009   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Andre's concussion or near concussion has them worried about returns... although I don't think he'll be added to the roster anytime soon
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

He signed on with Denver last season as UFA, was doing well in camp until his tore a ligament in his foot if I recall correctly. The injury sidelined him for the year. He was cut by Denver and picked up by Washington but did not make the roster.

We'll see what ends up back home in Houston.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Maybe Andre's concussion or near concussion has them worried about returns... although I don't think he'll be added to the roster anytime soon
I'd think Jenkins would be their first choice to activate if that were the case. Or Martinez, who's already on the roster. Who knows?
Old 09-16-2009   #16
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am all for local guys making good, however, the value in the timing of this signing is purely PR in my opinion.
I'm not sure how much of a presence UH has in the Texans fan base but I've always assumed that Longhorns and Aggies made up most of it, as evidenced by the 2006 draft. I think that has very little, if any, to do with the signing.

What is interesting though is that this comes the day after Walter's return to the lineup. Jacoby Jones hasn't done much this year, other than perform well against guys who aren't in the nfl anymore, and fair catch a few punts. So this leads me to believe he's here for if or when Jacoby gets moved. But I could be wrong.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
I'm not sure how much of a presence UH has in the Texans fan base but I've always assumed that Longhorns and Aggies made up most of it, as evidenced by the 2006 draft. I think that has very little, if any, to do with the signing.

What is interesting though is that this comes the day after Walter's return to the lineup. Jacoby Jones hasn't done much this year, other than perform well against guys who aren't in the nfl anymore, and fair catch a few punts. So this leads me to believe he's here for if or when Jacoby gets moved. But I could be wrong.
UH just had one of the biggest wins in its history on Saturday, and the next day the Texans had one of the biggest losses in its history. Signing a UH player to the PS gets the local media to write things other than the debacle that just happened.

Jacoby was simply being Jacoby, the coaches/GM should already know what they don't have in him.
Old 09-16-2009   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
UH just had one of the biggest wins in its history on Saturday, and the next day the Texans had one of the biggest losses in its history. Signing a UH player to the PS gets the local media to write things other than the debacle that just happened.
That seems rather cynical. It appears to imply the Texans are PR driven.
Old 09-16-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was just about to say that.

I drafted Sproles in my FFL this year. He's going to end up being their back.

Maybe AA can help us out.
Old 09-16-2009   #20
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It would take more than a practice squad signing to divert any attention away from that even if it's a UH player. Only mention I have heard of it on local media is a brief comment by Matt Jackson on 610, but he's an alum so that doesn't surprise me. Pretty far-fetched imo.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read