Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-16-2009   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2010 draft Guard prospects?

Maybe some of you draft guru's with more knowledge than myself could post up some of the better interior line prospects for the 2010 draft. I'm thinking:

Mike Johnson-Alabama
Sergio Render-VT
Thomas Austin-Clemson
Eric Olsen-ND

Comments on these guys or suggestions for others to take in the 2nd to 4th rounds. I'm talking guys who can start cause Myers and Brisiel suck and Pitts is in a contract year and not worthy of a huge FA contract extension. Thanks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 draft Guard prospects?

Good list. I would add Jeff Byers from USC.

I would also add Josh McNeil (Tennessee), Matt Tennant (Boston College), and Rafael Eubanks (Iowa) to the watch list. Those guys are all playing Center this year but have experience at Guard.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sold on Matt Tenant.

Mike Iupati, Idaho (6'6-330), runs 5'20 in the 40.
Physical and strong.
He's from America Samoa.
I'd like to see him play.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

If you need a big force at Guard I'd look at Vladimir Ducasse from UMass, I also like John Jerry from Ole Miss who is another big guy.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Good list. I would add Jeff Byers from USC.

I would also add Josh McNeil (Tennessee), Matt Tennant (Boston College), and Rafael Eubanks (Iowa) to the watch list. Those guys are all playing Center this year but have experience at Guard.
Another guy I want to watch at C is Walton from Baylor.
Let's see how he does against some pretty goods DT this year.

Looks like there will be some good ones at C and G the next year.
If you follow BC, keep an eye on the 3 Jrs on the O-line.

The Pouncey twins from Florida.
The C O'Dowd from USC
Old 09-16-2009   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
If you need a big force at Guard I'd look at Vladimir Ducasse from UMass, I also like John Jerry from Ole Miss who is another big guy.
Yeah, I want to check out Jerry's footwork, too!
I didn't pay enough attention to him last year while scouting his brother Peria.
Old 09-17-2009   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get what the Texans are looking for anymore? 09 was a great year to address interior linemen. sure they did draft Caldwell in the 3rd. but that may not have been high enough to add immediate impact interior help (they say he's not ready) two favorites- Max Unger is the Seahawks starting RG & Andy Levitre is starting LG for the Bills both selected after the Texans picked in the 2nd rd.

Next year the clear front runner to me is Utah LT Zane Beadles. 6040 308 he would replace Pitts (I've had enough over the years). For Center Justin Walton, Baylor is a good one but think he will struggle some @ the next level. I like John Estes, Hawaii for the Texans more because he can anchor against the bull rush, maybe give a guy like Jenkins some resistance, not overally big 6010 300 but squat, blasts those big bullies with blows to the body (hand punch)
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I like John Estes, Hawaii for the Texans more because he can anchor against the bull rush, maybe give a guy like Jenkins some resistance, not overally big 6010 300 but squat, blasts those big bullies with blows to the body (hand punch)
Guess I will have to pull out a few game tapes from last year.
I don't recall being impress by Estes, but then again, I was watching too many guys/games to remember for sure!
Old 09-17-2009   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't get what the Texans are looking for anymore? 09 was a great year to address interior linemen. sure they did draft Caldwell in the 3rd. but that may not have been high enough to add immediate impact interior help (they say he's not ready) two favorites- Max Unger is the Seahawks starting RG & Andy Levitre is starting LG for the Bills both selected after the Texans picked in the 2nd rd.

Next year the clear front runner to me is Utah LT Zane Beadles. 6040 308 he would replace Pitts (I've had enough over the years). For Center Justin Walton, Baylor is a good one but think he will struggle some @ the next level. I like John Estes, Hawaii for the Texans more because he can anchor against the bull rush, maybe give a guy like Jenkins some resistance, not overally big 6010 300 but squat, blasts those big bullies with blows to the body (hand punch)

I agree with your sentiments regarding Unger and Levitre. I really like Connor Barwin and he has the potential to be a good player in the future but that 2nd round pick could have been spent much better on Unger or Levitre, starters on the O-line that are in the game on every offensive snap instead of a situational pass rusher who's only in the game maybe 20-25% of the defensive snaps. Myers and Brisiel were a weakness in the O-line last year that everyone recognized, with the exception of Kubiak, but when the opportunity arose to fix this weakness in the O-line they failed. I think Kubiak was trying to get fancy instead of building the foundation of the team that's still not secure.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree with your sentiments regarding Unger and Levitre. I really like Connor Barwin and he has the potential to be a good player in the future but that 2nd round pick could have been spent much better on Unger or Levitre, starters on the O-line that are in the game on every offensive snap instead of a situational pass rusher who's only in the game maybe 20-25% of the defensive snaps. Myers and Brisiel were a weakness in the O-line last year that everyone recognized, with the exception of Kubiak, but when the opportunity arose to fix this weakness in the O-line they failed. I think Kubiak was trying to get fancy instead of building the foundation of the team that's still not secure.
yeah I know they were really focused on the pass rush & adding "impact" player. How many sacks did the Texans have against the Jets?

Anyway what's done is done, I've really warmed up to Connor Barwin, along with Cushing both are bright spots moving forward.
Old 09-17-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How would he do in ZBS?
Old 09-18-2009   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
[/b]How would he do in ZBS?
Cant we just scrap this "Blocking with the Stars" and start playing football .... knocking some guy's on their ass .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #13
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Any beefy Samoans available?
Old 09-18-2009   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Cant we just scrap this "Blocking with the Stars" and start playing football .... knocking some guy's on their ass .
Agreed

More A** kicking Less talking like an A**
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

How about 6-2 285 pound Rodney Hudson from Florida State. Veteran of the zone blocking scheme. He has room for more bulk, he is 285 because offensive line coach Rick Trickett demands his lineman be in peak physical condition. He runs and works the hell out of the lineman. Dude is strong, just keep reading to see how many knockdowns he has in his career.

He earned his 5th ACC offensive lineman of the week award against BYU, where FSU rushed for 318 yards. Hudson just knocks people on their ass.

He plays left guard.

2009 Outlook: Pre-season first team All-American by NationalChamps.net...a 2007 freshman All-American and 2008 first team All-ACC selection...has garnered an ACC Player of the Week honor four times in his first two seasons at FSU...allowed just 1.5 sacks in 1400 career snaps...gave up a sack in his first ever game as a true freshman and then went 16 straight games without allowing another...has graded out as the top overall offensive lineman 11 times in 24 career games...finished with the first or second best grade overall 17 times, a remarkable 70% of the games he has played...has missed just 13 assignments in 24 games...has posted a grade of 80% or better 17 times in his career from a notoriously tough grader in line coach Rick Trickett...has posted the top run or pass grade an astonishing 23 times in his career...has compiled nearly 100 knockdowns in his two-year career...whistled for the first and only penalty of his career versus Virginia Tech in 2008 ending a streak of 1,024 snaps without being flagged...the most dominant and versatile lineman on the Seminole roster...a candidate for All-America honors at guard, coaches believe Hudson would give Rimington Trophy candidate Ryan McMahon a run for the starting job at center...can also play tackle where he practiced in the spring of 2008 for an expected switch in the fall, which never materialized...named the most dependable offensive lineman following spring practice...also named one of four winners of the leadership award for the offense and the Big Otis Award winner

He may stay for his senior year, he may not. He would fit in with the ZBS well, if we elect to stick with that.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 09-23-2009 at 09:57 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BL spot on.

I almost threw something at the TV when the Texans passed on Unger in the second only to see Seattle trade up and nab him a few picks later. As you've stated he's starting at RG for them.

Hell Duke Robinson fell all the way to the fifth for the Panthers.

I'm a bit disappointed they are electing to go with Chris White over going ahead and letting Caldwell get some reps. I think the guy has the talent to anchor one of the interior spots for a while. Besides we already know what we have in Chris White.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
BL spot on.

I almost threw something at the TV when the Texans passed on Unger in the second only to see Seattle trade up and nab him a few picks later. As you've stated he's starting at RG for them.

Hell Duke Robinson fell all the way to the fifth for the Panthers.

I'm a bit disappointed they are electing to go with Chris White over going ahead and letting Caldwell get some reps. I think the guy has the talent to anchor one of the interior spots for a while. Besides we already know what we have in Chris White.
They knew last year was a fluke with everyone healthy for an entire season but they played their card anyway, choosing to wait until the 3rd rd. to address interior line.

I would compare Unger favorably with Jets center Nick Mangold taken late in the first rd. 06. A true leader & signal caller for line assingments but not a perrinial pro-bowl center, but that is a price it seems you have to pay to get a decent one. Pitts brings up an interesting scenero, what if the Texans line plays better with Studdard both from a protection standpoint & run game? That would be huge & erase some concerns, but until it happens Schaub & the Texans season is @ risk.

That being said I think Caldwell is gonna be fine & groomed to be the starting center @ some point in the next couple years, just hope we can wait that long
Old 09-24-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I like Unger, but I don't like the price tag.
He's not playing all that well for the Seahawks.

Neither is Loadholt, even though I like his price tag.

I would have preferred Herman Johnson in the 5th round.
He reported to camp at 365 lbs (down from 386) and played well at RT for the Cards in the 2 games I watched (Pitts & GB).
I think he can start for us at G or at least start in games when we played against big DTs.
This would allow Myers and Pitts to double team Jenkins, for example.
And Jenkins wouldn't have get past Johnson as he did against Brisiel.
Brisiel can play better against smaller guys.

And now we could have Johnson at his natural position at LG in place of Pitts.
Old 09-24-2009   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I like Unger, but I don't like the price tag.
He's not playing all that well for the Seahawks.

Neither is Loadholt, even though I like his price tag.

I would have preferred Herman Johnson in the 5th round.
He reported to camp at 365 lbs (down from 386) and played well at RT for the Cards in the 2 games I watched (Pitts & GB).
I think he can start for us at G or at least start in games when we played against big DTs.
This would allow Myers and Pitts to double team Jenkins, for example.
And Jenkins wouldn't have get past Johnson as he did against Brisiel.
Brisiel can play better against smaller guys.

And now we could have Johnson at his natural position at LG in place of Pitts.
He was there for the taking with our second round pick. No price tag, unless you are referring to what the Seahawks gave up for him.

Loadholt is going to play T for the Vikes. Not sure why you mentioned him.

Like Johnson just not sure he would've fit into what the Texans are trying to do on the OL, though the size upfront would've been nice the last two weeks.

Anyone know for sure that Studdard will get the start? I thought I had heard they were going with Chris White?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
He was there for the taking with our second round pick. No price tag, unless you are referring to what the Seahawks gave up for him.

Loadholt is going to play T for the Vikes. Not sure why you mentioned him.

Like Johnson just not sure he would've fit into what the Texans are trying to do on the OL, though the size upfront would've been nice the last two weeks.

Anyone know for sure that Studdard will get the start? I thought I had heard they were going with Chris White?
Unger in the 2nd round is a little steep for me when we still need help in the secondary, even though I like him.

I mentioned Loadholt 'cause he's a late round draft pick that we can afford just like H.Johnson.
LSU ran a lot of ZBS and the guy can pull from LG all the way to the right side on runs and screen pass (at 386 lbs) and make contact. That was pretty amazing!

In one of the post during the draft, I mentioned that there was one game in his Soph season (against Tenn, I think) he had 19 knock down/pan cake blocks. He was just killing them out there. He shove Ayres with one hand and send him flying. He had 22 pancake blocks in his soph season.

He's quicker than Charles Spencer, or should I say, "less immobile", LOL!
And a 5th round for such a pick, I think is cheap.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read