Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009   #1
9nines
Rookie

Default To gain fan support, should the team change its name to the Oilers, if it could?

I was born and raised in a city that had a CFL team for a hundred years...that team ended up folding amid fan apathy, institutional losing, etc...and a few years later another ownership came in with a new team, with a new name, new colors....that lasted awhile, it was sold again, team needed to genrate some excitement and so they brought back the old name and colors.

From Wiki:

Montreal Concordes

.After the original Alouettes franchise folded, Montreal businessman and Montreal Expos founder Charles Bronfman came to the rescue and financed a new club for the 1982 season under the name Montreal Concordes. This new team inherited the Alouettes franchise history and its players.

In 1986, the team attempted to embrace its predecessor's history and regenerate flagging fan interest by rebranding itself the "new" Montreal Alouettes.

While I understand an extraordinary set of circumstances would have to line up for the Oil to ever return I've never viewed it as an impossiblity. Likely? Not even close. Impossible? No.

Some of the extraordinary circumstances that would have to line up as I've been discussing for years:

1. Texans are institutional losers who let down their fan base time and time again and never seem to meet expectations.

- We are half way there.

2. This leads to fan apathy. Waning interest. Frustration. And the Texans start taking on a negative vibe locally.

- They have a reservoir of revenue stream that dates back to their launch. I don't really know what theuir season tix and corporate bookings are, when the renewals come, what the waiting lists are if any...but I do know that if you keep losing this reeservoir dries up.

Houston fans are notoriously apathetic in bad times.

3. Changes of ownership. Does McNair have the appetite for institutional losing if it keeps going on? He once was a hero. What about when under constant critcism and when revenues are getting pressured at the same time?

Bud is, like, 90 or something.

If all of this came to pass...and a local Houston ownership group bought the team...it would be stupid NOT to try and rebrand them the Oilers. They would pay the Adams family some millions and they would own it.

Everyone loves a nostalgia story. It would create so much buzz it would be ridiculous. It would jolt the entire city and fanbase. It would take the story from pon the field, where they are losers, to off it.

They would sell a billion tickets. New merchandising. It would create so much revenue it would be ridiculous.

As much as they may deny it...that town has never forgot the Oilers and they never will. It's part of their heritage.

They just have to keep losing.
Old 09-16-2009   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: To gain fan support, should the team change its name to the Oilers, if it could?

Bud already closed that loophole before he left town.

That's why he has the records, history, etc. at TN now.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 09-16-2009   #3
9nines
Rookie

Default Re: To gain fan support, should the team change its name to the Oilers, if it could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Bud already closed that loophole before he left town.

That's why he has the records, history, etc. at TN now.
But those rights could be sold to the owner of the Texans.

Lets assume it happened. Would fans support the idea - would you want it? In other words, if the Texans changed their team name and logos etc. to the Oilers, would it increase your support even if the team continued to disappointed on the field?
Old 09-16-2009   #4
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not want it now !!!
Old 09-16-2009   #5
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nines View Post

Lets assume it happened. Would fans support the idea - would you want it? In other words, if the Texans changed their team name and logos etc. to the Oilers, would it increase your support even if the team continued to disappointed on the field?
It wouldn't change my level of support -- they'd still be my team. But it would be cool. I'd support it if someone tried to do it.

Probably have to change Tennessee's uni's tho. Even their non throwbacks look awfully similar to the Oilers' uniform.
Old 09-16-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from, but I fear that there are too many bad memories and feelings (mostly because of Bud) associated with the Oiler name for that to play well here.

You'd have to bring back Bum and Earl for it to even have a hope of working.

And too many fans would think, "Wait, part of my ticket price is going to pay off Bud for a team that should never have left?!? I don't think so"
Old 09-16-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob will never sell the team. Its a cashcow, regardless of record
Old 09-16-2009   #8
9nines
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Bob will never sell the team. Its a cashcow, regardless of record

Yes, I agree: with corporate suites and sponsorship, etc., traditional fan support changes do not really change revenues and the Texans have a fairly high revenue stream as I understand.
Old 09-16-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

it's pollyanna thinking to assume the fans are so shallow that we root for a name and team colors. The Oilers were popular because they put a winning product on the field. When the Oilers didn't win in the early 70's there was no Luv ya blue, but when the product was upgraded and the Oilers stood toe to toe with the historic Steelers (a team that seems to always be good no matter who coaches or plays for them), there was great love fore the team as well as when the Warren Moon Oilers were perpetual playoff teams. It wasn't the name, it was the product. It ain't gonna happen in any case, and it's a dead horse.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 09-16-2009   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

(sort of) related....

In +/- 10 years, it'll be the NFL's 100th anniversary.

I imagine that entails throwback uniforms. I wonder if we're gonna have one.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 09-16-2009   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You obviously have no idea what kind of scumbag Dud Adams is. This is the same guy who drafted VY - against his HC & OC's advice, simply to slap the city of Houston in the face..... yet again.

There should and will be only one Houston Oilers. We remember the greatness that was Earl, the humor that was Bum, the grittiness that was Dante and the toughness that was Dr. Doom (among many others).
Old 09-16-2009   #12
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not gonna happen, go troll another forum.
Old 09-16-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

IF it was gonna happen, it SHOULD have happened at the new franchises' inception. Not now. Frankly I've always thought the name Texans was stupid but I live in Houston so this is my team.
Old 09-16-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
(sort of) related....

In +/- 10 years, it'll be the NFL's 100th anniversary.

I imagine that entails throwback uniforms. I wonder if we're gonna have one.
we are in our throwbacks currently. all 32 uniform combinations.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 09-16-2009   #15
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

The "Love ya Blue" era was a beautiful time, but it's over now. We should remember it fondly, but we'll never see the Tyler Rose knocking Mel Blount into next week or Mr. Warren Moon to Heywood Jeffires again. We can drink a toast to the Oilers, but the Texans' will have their era and we'll get to witness it.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 09-16-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If I don't see another thread like this for the next 40 years (assuming I live so long) it will be too soon. "Oilers" are gone. Dead. Over. History.

We have what we have, warts and all. Wishing publicly that we still had the Oilers just tells every troll that comes wandering our way where to begin.
Old 09-16-2009   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

How the hell is changing the team name back to the Oilers supposed to gain fan support

You can't just take a turd and paint it columbia blue and expect fans to buy that crap. The only thing this idea would do is make us a even bigger league wide laughingstock, becuase it would make us look desperate and incompetent. The only thing that is going to increase fan support is wins and hard faught playoff game and other games that matter at the end of the season.

I swear I've seen some rediculous ideas on this board, but this one is near the top.

NEWSFLASH PEOPLE....

THE OILERS ARE DEAD, they're never coming back so for those of you who can't get over them, I suggest you enjoy the rest of the games the Titans wear the old AFC jerseys.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read