Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2009   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2292 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Extremely jealous of how the Atlanta Falcons have turned things around so quickly

While we are in year 8 of our never-ending journey to a winning season and the playoffs, the Atlanta Falcons have gone from sucking while breaking in a rookie Vick, a playoff team with Vick to being horrible after the Vick debacle to being reborn to a playoff team AGAIN by hiring Thomas Dimitroff who is extremely talented and up and coming personnel guy from a championship program in the Patriots.

They then hire a hard nosed no-nonsense defensive coordinator in Mike Smith. Most NFL fans hadn't heard of him but he has been perfect. He instilled an attitude from the beginning. I remember teams complaining last preseason that his teams were being too aggressive and having some cheap shots.

That is exactly what Jerry Glanville did with the Oilers. It's unfortunate that most remember him for being a buffoon but I will always be grateful for him in turning the Oilers around. The Oilers of the mid 80's were an even more of a laughing stock than the Texans. He realized that when you have a losing program you have to shake everything up. He instilled pride and toughness with **** like the special teams army helmet and it worked. He got his players to believe and excited the fan base.

Back to the Falcons, they then make the coup of the free agent season and snag Michael Turner and base their offense on a strong running game in order to protect their franchise QB. Oh, they then draft a franchise QB who is wise and mature beyond his years.

The Falcons are light years ahead of us and let me repeat since our inception they have gone from sucking before Vick to playoffs to sucking without Vick to becoming a playoff team again.

What we need to do first is identify the best and most successful organizations in the NFL. In my opinion the best comprise of the Steelers, Patriots, Eagles, Colts, Ravens and now Atlanta. See who is the brains and is on the rise and whom we can snag. Alternatively, we can grab Floyd Reese who did great things with the Oilers/Titans and have him come here with a clean slate and hire a coach and develop a player acquisition strategy.

We have done it all wrong with Kubiak. We let an inexperienced head coach basically hire who we have as the GM. We have the blind leading the blind.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Extremely jealous of how the Atlanta Falcons have turned things around so quickly

0-1 does not mean 0-16, lets see how this season plays out.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #3
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2292 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Extremely jealous of how the Atlanta Falcons have turned things around so quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
0-1 does not mean 0-16, lets see how this season plays out.
Look at our pattern. It sucks and we go to Tennessee this week and they lost in a slugfest to Pittsburgh and were impressive and how physical they were on both sides of the ball. Compared to Pittsburgh, they view us like an off week because of how soft we are.

Atlanta has had FIVE COACHES since 2003 and they STILL have made the playoffs THREE TIMES since our inception in 2002, 2004 and 2008. Staying the course when you have a loser program is not something to crow about.
Old 09-15-2009   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember how we all thought we'd ruined Atlanta's next decade by taking Schaub from them just prior to the news breaking about Vick's criminal dark side?

We don't laugh at them so much any more...
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Look at our pattern. It sucks and we go to Tennessee this week and they lost in a slugfest to Pittsburgh and were impressive and how physical they were on both sides of the ball. Compared to Pittsburgh, they view us like an off week because of how soft we are.

Atlanta has had FIVE COACHES since 2003 and they STILL have made the playoffs THREE TIMES since our inception in 2002, 2004 and 2008. Staying the course when you have a loser program is not something to crow about.
Hope so and catch them off guard next week. I fully expect us to look like a new team next week, better prepared at the very least.

And I think its too early for the "here we go again" posts is all.
Old 09-15-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Also, the Falcons have never had back-to-back winning seasons, just like the Texans.

I don't see a Lombardi Trophy to their name though, isn't that all thats really important here?
Old 09-15-2009   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

More than anything - Atlanta nailed the QB thing. Then followed that up by nailing the QB's best friend a big hard nosed RB. Those two things together via draft & free agency is how you build or rebuild a franchise.

I still have confidence in Gary & Rick to get the job done. Reasons could be ownership is holding them back from being more aggressive in free agency? the failed Carr experiment (still be having repurcusions, so they go another route, trading for a more established talent like Schaub instead of risking a 1st rd. pick again)? Remember the Texans traded the 18th pick to the Ravens so they could select Joe Flacco, guess that turned out ok for them too
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2009   #8
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 31193 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Chill out dude, it's a 5 year plan.

Honestly I'm not in the group of guys that has totally written off the season. I don't even want to see this place if we lose again next week.
Old 09-15-2009   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami did the same thing, went from 1-15 to the playoffs in one year. The Texans on the other hand keep saying they want to build through the draft. Building through the draft is a good thing but it takes forever. By the time your ready to be a contender your original draft picks are gone due to FA, injury, or retirement so your stuck in a constant rebuilding mode.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #10
TexansFight
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Chill out dude, it's a 5 year plan.

Honestly I'm not in the group of guys that has totally written off the season. I don't even want to see this place if we lose again next week.
I am a Texans diehard and am dying for just a sliver of hope that we are ready to kick ass and be a playoff team. I have always thought we have a chance to win. This week not so much. I always watch our games. For the first time, I am debating whether to do so.
Old 09-16-2009   #11
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
More than anything - Atlanta nailed the QB thing. Then followed that up by nailing the QB's best friend a big hard nosed RB. Those two things together via draft & free agency is how you build or rebuild a franchise.

I still have confidence in Gary & Rick to get the job done. Reasons could be ownership is holding them back from being more aggressive in free agency? the failed Carr experiment (still be having repurcusions, so they go another route, trading for a more established talent like Schaub instead of risking a 1st rd. pick again)? Remember the Texans traded the 18th pick to the Ravens so they could select Joe Flacco, guess that turned out ok for them too
Problem is Gary doesnt like to draft a top runningback since he has had such good luck with late round gems. Rick also likes to get cheap free agents. i would add the Fins to that list since they have a good HC and you cant go wrong with the Big Tuna
Old 09-16-2009   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to say something drastic:

There is way too many good games that will be on this weekend for me to watch the Texans unless the Texans are doing well.

If we float that annual turd out there, against Tenn like we always do, I won't hesitate to switch over and watch other games. And enjoy it.

This will mark the first time in 7 years that I can say this. I normally watch every Texans game no matter what happens. But this year, I'm going to enjoy myself and not risk getting depressed. If we get down by a couple of TDs in the first quarter, and it's "same crap, different Sunday" then I'm off to watch other games.

I think I have missed seeing a lot of good, competitive football for the past 7 years. Which is what makes it even more heart-breaking when we start off like we have for the past four years...I'm depriving myself of fun that I used to have a long time ago--Enjoying watching a good game.

And it makes the off-season even more difficult because I'm going on four years of not seeing good football (by solely watching the Texans).

I watched the Steelers/Titans game and watched every snap, and loved it.

I watched the Chargers/Raiders game and watched every snap, and loved it.

That's what made me snap back to reality: There's FUN out there if you'll take a chance and leave the Texans if they're sliding out crap burgers on Sunday to us.
Old 09-16-2009   #13
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9288 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Miami did the same thing, went from 1-15 to the playoffs in one year. The Texans on the other hand keep saying they want to build through the draft. Building through the draft is a good thing but it takes forever. By the time your ready to be a contender your original draft picks are gone due to FA, injury, or retirement so your stuck in a constant rebuilding mode.
The fins basically got a good QB for nothing and also ran a college scheme all year long. I will say this Bill basically went nuts and got a bunch of "his guys" cheap as hell from the Cowboys since those where his players.
Old 09-16-2009   #14
TexansFight
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
The fins basically got a good QB for nothing and also ran a college scheme all year long. I will say this Bill basically went nuts and got a bunch of "his guys" cheap as hell from the Cowboys since those where his players.
Good coaches put their players in the best position to win. They craft schemes that best utilize the talent they have and not make the players adapt to schemes they are not equipped for. I have a lot of admiration for Sparano and his coaching staff for doing something unique with the Wildcat which is often not done in the copy cat and conservative NFL. Do you think Kubiak would have the balls and brains to come up with something like that. I sure as hell don't.
Old 09-16-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am a Texans diehard and am dying for just a sliver of hope that we are ready to kick ass and be a playoff team. I have always thought we have a chance to win. This week not so much. I always watch our games. For the first time, I am debating whether to do so.
Read my previous post!

If you don't want to sit through the crap we're going to see from Houston on Sunday, then do what I will do: Switch over and watch another game.

Watching two teams battle it out, switching leads all game long, and coming down to the last few minutes to decide the victor is 100% what I need right now.

If (and that's a big, Kirstie Alley "IF" by the way) we end up playing well and keeping it a good game vs. Titans, then I will stay and watch it.

But if Matt starts hitting the deck, throws picks, we can't run the ball, AJ gets in his zombie funk'd out mood, and Kubiak stares at his laminated Denny's menu all day...well, I'm bolting.

I can't even say for certain that I'd even come back to the game if we happened to mount a comeback of some sorts. It's THAT bad for me right now, to be quite honest.
Old 09-16-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Good coaches put their players in the best position to win. They craft schemes that best utilize the talent they have and not make the players adapt to schemes they are not equipped for. I have a lot of admiration for Sparano and his coaching staff for doing something unique with the Wildcat which is often not done in the copy cat and conservative NFL. Do you think Kubiak would have the balls and brains to come up with something like that. I sure as hell don't.
Because a coach in his situation becomes a limiter of risk.

They become a maintenance guy who can't imagine taking a risk or doing something that might fail. He wouldn't want to be seen as having grasped at straws with a Wildcat play or two every game.

He'd rather fail HIS way, saying "Gee, I just set out to do what I know to do. I tried it my way. I gave it all I had."

I think the guy is locked away in his own private world. A thinner version of Eric Mangini, IMO.
Old 09-16-2009   #17
TexansFight
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Read my previous post!

If you don't want to sit through the crap we're going to see from Houston on Sunday, then do what I will do: Switch over and watch another game.

Watching two teams battle it out, switching leads all game long, and coming down to the last few minutes to decide the victor is 100% what I need right now.

If (and that's a big, Kirstie Alley "IF" by the way) we end up playing well and keeping it a good game vs. Titans, then I will stay and watch it.

But if Matt starts hitting the deck, throws picks, we can't run the ball, AJ gets in his zombie funk'd out mood, and Kubiak stares at his laminated Denny's menu all day...well, I'm bolting.

I can't even say for certain that I'd even come back to the game if we happened to mount a comeback of some sorts. It's THAT bad for me right now, to be quite honest.
I have the NFL Sunday Ticket. I might as well use it to the fullest and not sully my Sunday NFL time with the Texans.
Old 09-16-2009   #18
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 31193 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Read my previous post!

I had two games on at noon on Sunday, the Texans and the Cowboys. If you would rather watch the Cowboys than the Texans then be my guest but I will continue to support my team.
Old 09-16-2009   #19
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one thing lost in the Atl talk is being able to unload Mike Vick's contract and playing status.

There was no way the team was going to go anywhere with him at the helm.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think one thing lost in the Atl talk is being able to unload Mike Vick's contract and playing status.

There was no way the team was going to go anywhere with him at the helm.
That, and getting Michael EFFIN Turner.

And Tony Gonzalez.

Other than that, there's not much to be jealous of. (sounds of weeping)...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read