Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-11-2005   #1
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger
Default Can We Change The Franchise Tag?

Its about that time of the year when teams start slappin one tag here and another there and pretty soon it looks like a half-off sale there are so many tags. I like the tags, some of them get me confused like the transitional tag, but I have one problem with the Franchise Tag. Here is an example.

Today I saw on ESPN that John Clayton is reporting the Rams will once again Tag Olrando Pace and make him the frachise player. Thats a smart idea, I mean I would too (and yes now we can stop with the "Orlando Pace at LT" posts) but they have been franchising him for the last 3 years. Ain't this getting a little old?

I would like to see a rule put in place where a player can't be franchised 2 season in a row. That way if the team can come up with a long term contract in 2 years, then something is wrong. Either the parties need to part ways or something. It just gets old seeing Walter Jones and Orlando Pace getting franchised EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I can just imagine what those guys feel like being franchised every year. But hey look on the bright side, the money is good.
Old 02-11-2005   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am suprised these guys haven't worked out a longer deal. Reason is say Walter or Orlando gets a serious injury.. then long term contracts are almost out of the question
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I am suprised these guys haven't worked out a longer deal. Reason is say Walter or Orlando gets a serious injury.. then long term contracts are almost out of the question
Example: Julian Peterson. Didnt get the record deal he wanted then tore his achilles.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005   #4
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Peterson will not be a 49er next year because of that, he watched from the sideline and saw a pothetic team play, he wants no part of that team
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

It seems like Peterson could be the cornerstone of a new 3-4 defense. I'd be surprised if they let him go.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #6
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Help me understand. Doesn't these restrictions work better for the team than the player? A team may not want to tie a player up for more than one year due to age, injury or possible replacement.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read