Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gartrell Johnson

m5kwatts

Veteran
I thought he might be on our radar before the draft because of the obvious CSU connection and our need for a big back... interestingly enough he passed through waivers and the Giants claimed him.. so basically the Texans had a free shot to get him and passed... as a result he was placed on the Giants practice squad

source: http://twitter.com/TheBlueScreen/status/4013250962

He didn't clear waivers - he was claimed off waivers by the Giants... and the Texans allegedly have their Chris Brown replacement on the P-squad in Arian Foster.

That said, Gartrell was f'sho on my mock draft radar. I guess another problem is that the Texans would have to honor his fourth-round contract if they had signed him... so you'd have to pay this guy 4th round money to either end up on the practice squad or sit on the bench inactive every week.

Also, am I missing something? A team can pick a player off waivers and put him directly on the practice squad? I don't see in the link where it says they put him on their PS. Wouldn't they have to cut him and wait for him to clear waivers again before they put him on the PS?

Not sure about the details of the PS in that respect.

He didn't clear waivers - he was claimed off waivers by the Giants... and the Texans allegedly have their Chris Brown replacement on the P-squad in Arian Foster.

That said, Gartrell was f'sho on my mock draft radar. I guess another problem is that the Texans would have to honor his fourth-round contract if they had signed him... so you'd have to pay this guy 4th round money to either end up on the practice squad or sit on the bench inactive every week.

Also, am I missing something? A team can pick a player off waivers and put him directly on the practice squad? I don't see in the link where it says they put him on their PS. Wouldn't they have to cut him and wait for him to clear waivers again before they put him on the PS?

Not sure about the details of the PS in that respect.

My bad on the clearing waivers part, I meant to say we passed on claiming him and was cleared by the Texans not by the rest of the league, waivers starts with the team with the worst record last year and moves up, therefore we passed on him and he went all the way up to the Giants.

Here's what I read:
September 15, 2009
Ralph Vacchiano reports via Twitter that the Giants have claimed running back Gartrell Johnson off waivers from San Diego.

Our View:Johnson provides depth for the Giants at running back, but won't likely hold any fantasy value as he's pretty low on the depth chart. The fourth-round pick is a solid power back with nice hands, but won't see many carries once Danny Ware returns from injury after a couple weeks.

http://ownersedge.fanball.com/nfl/player/7736/notes#63335

My assumption is when Ware returns he'll be placed through waivers again and if cleared THEN he can go on GIants PS

My bad on the clearing waivers part, I meant to say we passed on claiming him and was cleared by the Texans not by the rest of the league, waivers starts with the team with the worst record last year and moves up, therefore we passed on him and he went all the way up to the Giants.

Here's what I read:

http://ownersedge.fanball.com/nfl/player/7736/notes#63335

My assumption is when Ware returns he'll be placed through waivers again and if cleared THEN he can go on GIants PS

Well, with LT now being hurt it wouldn't surprise me if SD is regretting that move, or if they would put a claim on Gartrell if the Giants tried to put him on their PS.

I can see the appeal in putting a claim in for Gartrell, but it wouldn't be very Texan-like for this team to pay fourth round money for a guy who they're picking up off of waivers unless it was at a position of extreme immediate need.

I know Gartrell was talked up in the offseason and I definately thought that he was a candidate to be the thunder to Slaton's lightning but if you cant make a team after they used a 4th round draft pick to get you that season then you probably weren't as good as advertised... at least not yet.

I know Gartrell was talked up in the offseason and I definately thought that he was a candidate to be the thunder to Slaton's lightning but if you cant make a team after they used a 4th round draft pick to get you that season then you probably weren't as good as advertised... at least not yet.

Yep, pretty much.

When the Texans passed on him and Rashad Jennings I thought we were out of our minds... Our evaluation appears to be the right one now (or atleast evaluations of those 2 guys)

When the Texans passed on him and Rashad Jennings I thought we were out of our minds... Our evaluation appears to be the right one now (or atleast evaluations of those 2 guys)

Did Jennings get cut from Jax? If not I wouldn't say the Texans were right just yet. What if MJD goes down and Jennings steps up in a big way for them? He was definately overvalued by the board on draft day however because he nearly went undrafted.

Did Jennings get cut from Jax? If not I wouldn't say the Texans were right just yet. What if MJD goes down and Jennings steps up in a big way for them? He was definately overvalued by the board on draft day however because he nearly went undrafted.

Nope, he made the final 53 in Jax. He was active in game one vs. the Colts, but he didn't see the field.

Back