Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009   #161
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill Cowher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Kubiak will be the coach next year.
I feel that way, as well.

However, the look on Bob McNair's face at the end of the game was a mix of anger and disgust. I have never seen our owner sport that look, so there might be more going on inside his head than we realize.

If y'all think we are tired of watching mediocre football for eight years, think of how the guy that paid over a billion must feel.

I can't/won't speculate on Cowher, but if there is even the slightest interest on his part, I would be like a duck on a junebug if I was Mr. McNair.
Old 11-24-2009   #162
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

However, the look on Bob McNair's face at the end of the game was a mix of anger and disgust. I have never seen our owner sport that look, so there might be more going on inside his head than we realize.

If y'all think we are tired of watching mediocre football for eight years, think of how the guy that paid over a billion must feel.

I can't/won't speculate on Cowher, but if there is even the slightest interest on his part, I would be like a duck on a junebug if I was Mr. McNair.
Bold = what I am thinking. If I spend $10 on Chick-Fil-A and my nuggets are a little cold I get pissed.
Old 11-24-2009   #163
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

God these Cowher threads get so old and tiring. Cowher has said plenty of times that "IF" he decides to coach again he wants to coach near his family and the only team I've seen him mention the slightest interest with in the last two years was the Carolina Panthers because it was near his family. Cowher has not expressed any interest to coach next season as well. That could change, but right now he has expressed no interest. And for the record, every team's message board in the NFL that doesn't have a great coach right now is begging for Cowher. He will most likely only coach a team that is somewhat close to his family and if he did coach somewhere in Texas it's a lot more likely that he would be coaching the Cowboys instead of the Texans. Now this thread can hopefully end and we'll wait for the next Cowher thread to pop back up after the next Texans loss where the same stuff is posted for the 15th time.
Old 11-24-2009   #164
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
God these Cowher threads get so old and tiring. Cowher has said plenty of times that "IF" he decides to coach again he wants to coach near his family and the only team I've seen him mention the slightest interest with in the last two years was the Carolina Panthers because it was near his family. Cowher has not expressed any interest to coach next season as well. That could change, but right now he has expressed no interest. And for the record, every team's message board in the NFL that doesn't have a great coach right now is begging for Cowher. He will most likely only coach a team that is somewhat close to his family and if he did coach somewhere in Texas it's a lot more likely that he would be coaching the Cowboys instead of the Texans. Now this thread can hopefully end and we'll wait for the next Cowher thread to pop back up after the next Texans loss where the same stuff is posted for the 15th time.
You need to be updated sir:

Quote:
NFL Network: Source says Bears, Texans 'would excite' Cowher
November 23, 2009 7:36 PM | 10 Comments
By David Haugh

Bears fans coveting Bill Cowher as a possible replacement for Lovie Smith, take a deep breath. This may cause your pulse to race.

An NFL Network report Monday night cited a source that said the idea of coaching the Bears or Texans "would excite,'' Cowher if the job becomes open.
Old 11-24-2009   #165
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still liking Kubiac for the future, but if they have a chance to bring Cowher in, I'd hope they'd at least look into it and talk to Cowher.

Gotta remember folks, this is a very young team that is still being built along the lines of Kubiac and Smith. I think the only way Cowher comes in here is da owner finally pops a blood vessel and goes off on everyone.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 11-24-2009   #166
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I know some people will deride my suggestion, saying he can't win in the playoffs, but I'm ready for some Marty-ball. Even if it means we lose in the playoffs to the eventual AFC Champion, at least we will be respectable and a perennial contender. I'll take that over being a never-was also-ran .500 team.
Old 11-24-2009   #167
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
If that report is accurate, that could go a long way towards changing my mood today. 4 years is long enough for someone to turn a team into a winner. Kubiak has failed to do so and other coaches have done it quicker and with no more to work with than Kubiak has had.

Kubiak's problem is he is too loyal to players and coaches that suck. Myers should be gone. Richard Smith should have been gone after his first season. Bush is in over his head at DC although he is better than Richard Smith, which aint sayin much. Weaver was kept around too long. Chris Brown still sucks.

I just hope we can make something happen with the rest of the season and not just become 8-8 again. I think Kubiak is safe if we go 8-8 again and that sucks. We need a change and something for us to look forward to next year. Let's make a splash.

COWHER TIME!!
Old 11-24-2009   #168
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm still liking Kubiac for the future, but if they have a chance to bring Cowher in, I'd hope they'd at least look into it and talk to Cowher.

Gotta remember folks, this is a very young team that is still being built along the lines of Kubiac and Smith. I think the only way Cowher comes in here is da owner finally pops a blood vessel and goes off on everyone.
He didn't look very pleased at the end of the game. And he was sitting with the immortal one (BUM PHILLIPS!!!) all night.
Old 11-24-2009   #169
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats the first evidence I've seen from an actual insider saying the Texans would have a shot at him and its very intriguing. Kubiak will have a chance to keep his job over the next few weeks but I don't think its as much of a lock as some others in this thread. One of the reasons is that I could see us losing our next two games and 4 games total from here. Not saying it WILL happen but I won't be too surprised. That, or even another 8-8, combined with the chance at getting Cowher could be too much for Bob to resist.
Old 11-24-2009   #170
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
He didn't look very pleased at the end of the game. And he was sitting with the immortal one (BUM PHILLIPS!!!) all night.
I'm more interested in the Texans winning than I am in who's actually the head coach. If Cowher can do the job, let's bring him in. Or keep Kubiac, or have a lottery and select one of us here on the BBS. I want the Texans to win a Super Bowl. I don't care if they hire Pee Wee Herman to coach as long as he gets us to the super bowl.

of course, if they did hire Pee Wee Herman, I sure as hell wouldn't go watch any movies with him. Not that there's anything wrong with that.........

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 11-24-2009   #171
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't put much into that GB. Until I see some serious quotes from Cowher, I don't think we're high on his radar. Hey, I'm with you and many others in the fact that I'd want him over anyone, but I don't think Mcnair will fire Kubiak in the first place and even if so I think there will be more teams out there that will interest Cowher more than the Texans would. I'd love to be wrong though. If you want this to happen, then send a letter to Bob Mcnair and beg him to go all out for Cowher. Maybe he'll listen. That's the only way Cowher would ever get there. Mcnair would not only have to spend huge dollars for him, but he'd have to do everything in his power to sell this franchise to Cowher and I don't see Mcnair as the kind of owner that would go out of his way to do that like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would.
Old 11-24-2009   #172
Pollardized
Division Champ

Watching "game film" would take on a whole new meaning with Pee Wee at the helm...
Old 11-24-2009   #173
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't put much into that GB. Until I see some serious quotes from Cowher, I don't think we're high on his radar. Hey, I'm with you and many others in the fact that I'd want him over anyone, but I don't think Mcnair will fire Kubiak in the first place and even if so I think there will be more teams out there that will interest Cowher more than the Texans would. I'd love to be wrong though. If you want this to happen, then send a letter to Bob Mcnair and beg him to go all out for Cowher. Maybe he'll listen. That's the only way Cowher would ever get there. Mcnair would not only have to spend huge dollars for him, but he'd have to do everything in his power to sell this franchise to Cowher and I don't see Mcnair as the kind of owner that would go out of his way to do that like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder would.
Snyder and Jones would try and control Cowher.
Old 11-24-2009   #174
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Ownership/Management won't even bring in a top Free Agent, so how are you going to get a top Coaching candidate?
Because coaches have no affect on the cap?

It's also not true that we haven't brought in top FA, but that's not relevant anyway.
Old 11-24-2009   #175
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
We were last year though...
We weren't a rushing powerhouse last year at all. We ran for a lot of yards, but it was a lot of yards between the twenties, with big runs sprinkled in between 1-yd. gains. Not that there isn't value to that, but in the past, Gibbs' teams have been able to run the ball at a consistent pace.

1+1+1+1+16= 4.0 yards per carry.

4+4+4+4+4= 4.0 yards per carry.

You figure out which one you want. We've done neither this year, so I guess I'll take either one, but I prefer the latter.
Old 11-24-2009   #176
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Snyder and Jones would try and control Cowher.
Jerry would eventually, but Snyder would not. Regardless, that wasn't my point. Those guys will go way out of their way to make big acquisitions whether it be a coach or a player. They'll try and "sell" their team to that coach or the player and put in that extra effort and that extra mile probably over any other owner. They both have plenty of other faults though that end up making them less desirable owners to work for, but one thing that both of them can do is "sell" their team as an attractive destination to be at. Since the Texans have come into the league Mcnair has never been that type of guy. Will that ever change? Who knows, but from what we've seen thus far there is nothing to suggest that it will.

What I just described is the reason why just about every big name HC that is available right now is always brought up in discussions leading towards them going to Dallas or Washington, because most people know that Jones and Snyder will not only pay the big bucks, but they will go all out to try and bring in the big name guy that they want and they'll go that extra mile to get him.
Old 11-24-2009   #177
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair went out of his way to bring football back to Houston, so who knows what he's capable of...

Like I said earlier, dude did not pay all that jack to watch crappy football for eight years in a row. I'm not saying he will do this or won't do that, simply because we do not know and he keeps his cards very close to his chest.

But, the look on his face was one that I have never seen in him before. It wasn't happy-go-lucky McNair that is glad to be here. It was more of a look that he's just about had enough of this crap. JMO
Old 11-24-2009   #178
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerry would eventually, but Snyder would not. Regardless, that wasn't my point. Those guys will go way out of their way to make big acquisitions whether it be a coach or a player. They'll try and "sell" their team to that coach or the player and put in that extra effort and that extra mile probably over any other owner. They both have plenty of other faults though that end up making them less desirable owners to work for, but one thing that both of them can do is "sell" their team as an attractive destination to be at. Since the Texans have come into the league Mcnair has never been that type of guy. Will that ever change? Who knows, but from what we've seen thus far there is nothing to suggest that it will.

What I just described is the reason why just about every big name HC that is available right now is always brought up in discussions leading towards them going to Dallas or Washington, because most people know that Jones and Snyder will not only pay the big bucks, but they will go all out to try and bring in the big name guy that they want and they'll go that extra mile to get him.
I should have worded that different and I agree about Snyder. Jerry is a tool and tries to run the team. I think Dan would just hand him the team, but these guys are still banking off past Super Bowls.
Old 11-24-2009   #179
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Saw that and thought, "Man, he looks more pissed off than me."
Old 11-24-2009   #180
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jerry is a tool and tries to run the team.
Yes, this is true. Jerry will go over board and become over bearing eventually no matter who is the coach over there. He wouldn't even let Parcells coach the team without intervention of some kind. Coaching the Cowboys will always have it's pluses and minuses. Jerry will always irritate his coaches though. He can still "sell" his franchise in so many other ways though as an attractive destination to coach for though. I can't deny that he's good at that.

Quote:
I think Dan would just hand him the team, but these guys are still banking off past Super Bowls.
Yeah, the team's history always seems to play a part in coaches wanting to coach there. Washington has a very rich history. Snyder will do everything in his power to get the guy he wants though. He went way out of his way to bring back Gibbs and at the time it was reported that it wasn't easy and that Snyder had to do a hell of a lot of twisting to get him to come back. I thought it was a fantastic and shrewd move on the part of Snyder though personally. It got the fans excited and he was able to bring back there hero out there and it came out of nowhere. Zorn was an experiment that has utterly failed partly due to Jason Campbell being there. The guy is never going to be able to take his team anywhere.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read