Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009   #141
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill Cowher?

Old 11-24-2009   #142
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Cowher would be good in a few years if he's still available(whivh he won't be) and Kubes still isn't getting it done, but how would we be able to run the ball the way he would want to with these middle schoolers we have for o-linemen?
Old 11-24-2009   #143
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Kubiak will be the coach next year.
As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.
Old 11-24-2009   #144
FuzzyLogic
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 FuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll admit immediately after the game I was in the "fire everyone, fire them all, find out where their wives and kids work and fire them too" mode.

I think Kubiak will still be here next year, I think we'll probably finish 9-7, and that will be good enough to save his job. He'll get one more draft, one more year's experience for the NFL's youngest team then they'll see what the team can do.

As much as I want to be a "win now" team, I just as much don't want to be the Houston version of the Browns and the crazy moves that team is ridiculed for.

(Had to edit, I had us playing 17 regular season games)
Old 11-24-2009   #145
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
I think Kubiak will still be here next year, I think we'll probably finish 9-8, and that will be good enough to save his job.
Old 11-24-2009   #146
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249060 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
maybe he had us playing a wild card game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 11-24-2009   #147
FuzzyLogic
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 FuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respectedFuzzyLogic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I fixed it...

I'm on vacation this week and just waking up, posting before caffeine takes hold.
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2009   #148
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
As he should be. This franchise should not have a revolving door for the head coach. Kubiak has turned this team into a winner with a winning attitude. Yeah, there have been a few tough breaks here and there this season, and it sucks and it's painful and all that. But we didn't lose those because of coaching. I say you have to stick with him.
I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I liek him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.
Old 11-24-2009   #149
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
I agree to a certain extent. The attitude has changed. But we still have no identity as a team. We seem to play with a lackadaisical effort way too often. Look at shots of Schaub after a bad throw or dropped pass. Too often he has that "dang I can't believe that happened" puppy dog look. As much as I dislike VY, the man has a fire in him and a desire to win. We need that on our team. From our players. And it starts with the head coach. He has to set the example, get fired up, chew some butt, challenge a player to fight if he needs to. I like him, and want him to suceed. I'm just thinking he may be a great OC who doesn't have the mentality to be a head coach.
And that's Bill Cowher:

Old 11-24-2009   #150
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
He's turned this franchise into a winner? In what bizzaro-world do you live where a coach with a losing record, coaching a team who's never had a winning record, is a winning franchise?

Kubiak and Smith have done well to turn over the talent on this team. But, if Kubiak can't get this team into the playoffs by his fourth season, it's time to move on and find someone who can.

That said, barring a major implosion, I think McNair let's him have one more year to get us to the playoffs. If he does, he gets a contract extension; if he doesn't we get a new HC.
Old 11-24-2009   #151
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
maybe he had us playing a wild card game.
I wish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
I fixed it...

I'm on vacation this week and just waking up, posting before caffeine takes hold.
I thought you were just living up to your username..
Old 11-24-2009   #152
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

But the thing about giving Kubiak another year is a coach like Bill Cowher won't be available next year.
Old 11-24-2009   #153
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
But the thing about giving Kubiak another year is a coach like Bill Cowher won't be available next year.
Consider him not available now and move on. He ain't coming here. Not now, not next year.
Old 11-24-2009   #154
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Consider him not available now and move on. He ain't coming here. Not now, not next year.
Based on what?

It'd be a lot more believable based on the premise that we won't likely have a HC vacancy than on any perpetuated myth that Cowher doesn't want to be here, which has been further proven baseless by the recent report that he, indeed, finds Houston a desirable place to coach.
Old 11-24-2009   #155
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I rooted for Kubiac to come here but I'm really starting to have my doubts. This team just isn't what I wanted to see on the field. We are way too much of a finesse team for my taste. Our line play stinks on both sides of the ball.

I doubt he will but I'd say Bob should at least make the phone call at the end of the season.
I agree. I don't see how you pin that on Kubiak, though. As Herv pointed out several weeks ago, this is the first group of guys that Alex Gibbs has not been able to turn into a rushing powerhouse. To me, that says a ton about the players, not the coaches.
Old 11-24-2009   #156
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Based on what?

It'd be a lot more believable based on the premise that we won't likely have a HC vacancy than on any perpetuated myth that Cowher doesn't want to be here, which has been further proven baseless by the recent report that he, indeed, finds Houston a desirable place to coach.
Based on exactly what your premise suggests. Kubiak will be here next season and probably the following.
Old 11-24-2009   #157
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I agree. I don't see how you pin that on Kubiak, though. As Herv pointed out several weeks ago, this is the first group of guys that Alex Gibbs has not been able to turn into a rushing powerhouse. To me, that says a ton about the players, not the coaches.
We were last year though...

And where does all of this "Bill Cowher has no chance at coming here" talk come from? Did you all not just see the report from NFL.com where he named Houston (and the Bears) as his desirable places to coach? The Texans are better than the Bears, too. Don't say we have no chance in getting him because that is definitely not true at all.
Old 11-24-2009   #158
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 68516 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't it look like he's about to say "******* the titans!"?

Old 11-24-2009   #159
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Ownership/Management won't even bring in a top Free Agent, so how are you going to get a top Coaching candidate?

Not gonna happen. We are stuck with Kubiak for better or worse for probably 2 more years at least.

I am going to go get sick now. Last night's loss made getting up this morning really tough, and I was alcohol-free.

I would love Cowher and its quite obvious that Cowher is a better coach/motivator than Kubiak, but Kubiak's lame act is getting pretty tired. i am just trying to remain positive about 5-5. This was our season and thanks to Chris Brown, Kris Brown, and bad clock and game management we are irrelevant......AGAIN.
Old 11-24-2009   #160
Pollardized
Division Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Ownership/Management won't even bring in a top Free Agent, so how are you going to get a top Coaching candidate?

Not gonna happen. We are stuck with Kubiak for better or worse for probably 2 more years at least.

I am going to go get sick now. Last night's loss made getting up this morning really tough, and I was alcohol-free.

I would love Cowher and its quite obvious that Cowher is a better coach/motivator than Kubiak, but Kubiak's lame act is getting pretty tired. i am just trying to remain positive about 5-5. This was our season and thanks to Chris Brown, Kris Brown, and bad clock and game management we are irrelevant......AGAIN.
Good points. I consistently see too many opportunities to do the little things winning teams do, that we don't do. Like pick up additional yardage with 8 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Or try to get the ball to your best player inside the 10 yard line, not have him block on a play most saw coming.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read