Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2009   #101
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 reasons Cowher would come here...and 1 why he won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?
Where did Cowher play his college ball? Where does he live currently? Hint: not in Houston.
Old 10-13-2009   #102
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I think he meant Kris with a K.
No, Kris Brown plays on special teams, no offense. He definitely meant Chris 'The Bus' Brown.
Old 10-13-2009   #103
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!
Old 10-13-2009   #104
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.
One reason he may not want Dallas?....Jerry Jones and Tony Who knows...
Old 10-13-2009   #105
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I think he meant Kris with a K.
Lets hope.
Old 10-13-2009   #106
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
If you were Bill Cowher . . . would you want to coach the Houston freaking Texans????

Like they say on ESPN . . . C'mon Man!
The upside for him coming to Houston is huge though, could you imagine if Cowher came to Houston and delivered an NFL championship that this city has been wanting for 30+ years?

He'd have a key to the city, panties would fall from the sky, the sun would always shine no matter where he walked in Houston, etc, etc, etc..
Old 10-13-2009   #107
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
panties would fall from the sky
LMAO...yes! Cloudy with a chance of Panties! haha

Wish I had that kind of power!

Dormant bodies bursting!
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2009   #108
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.
Old 10-13-2009   #109
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

His 1st choice is reportedly Carolina and Fox is on the hot seat. Cowher will never be in Houston. Period.
Old 10-13-2009   #110
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Cowher will never be in Houston. Period.
I wouldn't say period...but...as much as I would love to have him here, the realistic side of me says he will never be the Texans coach.
Old 10-13-2009   #111
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
I wouldn't say period...but...as much as I would love to have him here, the realistic side of me says he will never be the Texans coach.
I'm with ya' man. The Texans haven't built up a good enough reputation to attract coaches like Cowher.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
Old 10-13-2009   #112
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what kind of crank someone of you doing saying the Cowboys job isn't more attractive than Houston.

I'm not the biggest fan of the City or of the team, but the only draw back to that job is dealing with Jerruh Jones.
Old 10-13-2009   #113
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No one seems to think Cowher would come to Houston even if McNair chose to open the vault. You seemingly gloss over the huge hole of not having a NT for the 3-4. Where do you get one? None available in next draft and none I see in free agency. It is like the Rockets saying we don't have a center then calling Australia, you can plug the hole and still not accomplish much.
Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.
Old 10-13-2009   #114
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?
Old 10-13-2009   #115
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

/\ Thanks D. Lee - I was wondering where all this "oh he's only going to city x or y because he's from there" stuff was coming from. I don't recall seeing an "official" document from Cowher noting those cities on his list or written anywhere that he said that.

I would agree with some posters - if it came down to Dallas or Houston (taking personal bias out if possible) would you rather work for Bob or Jerrah?
Old 10-13-2009   #116
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I'm with ya' man. The Texans haven't built up a good enough reputation to attract coaches like Cowher.
Exactly. He can name his city and his jobs, which probably means both the HC and GM positions. And still doubt that would be enough to entice him to locate in Houston.
Old 10-13-2009   #117
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where Cowher lands, he'll attract players. Free agents will WANT to play for him. Hypothetically speaking, they would likely plug the hole with Okoye or Robinson the first year, or package Okoye in a trade to a team with a 4-3 to find a stop-gap, until they landed their guy a season or two later.

As far as him going to Carolina, just because he LIVES in Carolina does not mean he'd want to coach there. That's just speculation. Texas is a 2-hour flight from Carolina. His youngest daughter is a senior now, and will be in college somewhere next year, so I don't think location is quite as crucial as it was when he resigned from the Steelers. He's going to want to go somewhere that has a good foundation and will be in the spotlight. Houston fits the foundation part of the bill way more than any other probable NFL franchises that will potentially have a vacancy. Cowher himself often comments on CBS about how good the Texans personnel foundation is. Fact is, though, Dallas is a more attractive option because of their media attention, and Jerruh would sell out to get Cowher like he did for Parcells.
Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.
Old 10-13-2009   #118
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Which one doesn't belong?
Matt Schaub.

...oh, you meant Chris Brown.
Old 10-13-2009   #119
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
One point I don't see being raised in going after these high-profile coaches. I think their success also depends on their assistant coaches. Most of those assistants are HC's now. Do you think (hypothethically) that if we get Cowher, is the current DC of Pittsburgh going to leave to come here? Or his old assistants give up their HC gigs?
Excellent point. Everyone seems to think that Cowher orchestrated the Pittsburgh defense that won his Super Bowl. I say it's Dick LeBeau. LeBeau was the defensive coordinator for both the 2005 AND 2008 Super Bowl teams.

I'd rather have Dick LeBeau here as HC and to oversee our defense than Cowher here with who knows what coaching staff.
Old 10-13-2009   #120
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Cowher will attract FA of course, there just are not any DTs. You really want any of our current DTs as your Nose in a 3-4? (shudders)Why would any 4-3 team give you a starting DT for Okoye? You want to tell this fan base that you are changing defenses now? At least if you went to a 3-4 you might go after Wade Phillips as your DC after he gets fired, I guess.
I said Okoye in some sort of package deal with another player of need to send somewhere with a 4-3. Maybe Okoye, Grossman, and Jacoby Jones to Washington for an underperforming and overpaid Haynesworth? If I was Washington, I think I might do that deal.

I still don't think Cowher would come here, and I don't think Kubiak will be fired this year. This is all hypothetical, so I'm just having fun with it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read